Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Post  David on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:50 pm

[OOC - none of the soldiers are anywhere near at this point. They aren't stupid. They ran! And the Queen's Champion bought them time to get away. Hey, here's an interesting question--what was this guy doing here anyway? I mean, if the troops were out looking for the Iv Pretender, why would they need the Queen's Champion along with? Hmmmm...]
David
Admin

View user profile http://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:26 pm

To Winnow sub-vocally through the Trump. "Ah, um I can certainly help you practice against ratstickers. Although I would recommend coming up with tactics against flying foes as a higher priority."

"If you have finished your pursuit, would you mind terribly going by the cave and checking on our prisoner. Also if you see a tin man about a hand tall he is mine and will be looking for me. If you say the phrase 'Speak friend and enter' he will come with you."

"Do you have any questions for the pretty boy in the airship? I may need you to save me from the terrors of his company in a bit."

Mint somehow manages to subvocalize a yawn.

Mint addresses HIS SERENE AND GLORIOUS MAJESTY, IVMO THIRTEENTH OF THAT NAME, MONARCH OF IV, WARDEN OF WEIRD FOREST, DUKE OF TWILIGHT ISLANDS, COUNT OF THE WALL OF THE WORLD MOUNTAINS, VISCOUNT OF THE PORCELAIN CITY, AND BARON OF UPPER WEST BERRY-ON-THE-WOLL! DEFENDER OF THE REALM AND KEEPER OF THE FAITH!

"So your serene and glorious majesty, do you have any idea why the troops had the Queen's Champion along? His presence here seems odd. And I didn't catch that scoundrel's name either. Do you know it? For that matter, if you don't mind me asking, why did you pick this particular patch of Iv to fly over?"

Mint's tone is casual and conversational.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:01 pm

"Flyers. Bows. All a bit...impersonal. Still, if they have an extra one about that flying gasbag - or perhaps on the airship - I'll add it to my kit."

He heads for the cave, keeping an eye out for a tin man, whatever that is. Sounds like me, rather. "Let's keep the questions for when I pick up the fascist reindeer. Then bring us through, assuming the airship will stand another half ton, and we can see what His Capitals makes of it."
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Mint has to work to suppress an audible snort at the gasbag comment.

"Why would you need the weapon? Ammo definitely. But can't your armour form the weapon itself at need? If you don't want to bother with a quiver you could carry a pouch of stones or metal spheres. I'll bet with your strength you could get a pretty amazing range out of a Staff-sling. Plus that would make ammo easy to scavenge at need."
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:26 pm

"The Queen's Champion! Ha!" proclaims His Serene Majesty. "That varlant--who ever seeks where he may do the most carnage and mayhem--goes by the name of Roberto. His skill is passing fair, to be sure, nearly at a level with mine own, but the man's bloodlust shows his true character methinks!"

"Our presence? Reconnaissance, dear lady, and providing succor to those brave spirits who aid our cause. Many have fled here to the Weird Forest, along with those of a new religion that has arisen of late -- for some whisper of having seen and spoken to a unicorn of legend, one that urges them to fight against tyranny! Even appearing in the color of blood, just to encourage their just rebellion!"
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Varlant? Is that even a word? Nearly? That sounds like an exaggeration. Not that I expect any less from his Saggy Majesty. Last time I was here nobody came even close to my level of skill and I've gotten better since then.

"I thought that Unicorn worship was new here. I would love the chance to speak with any who have met this new deity. What do you know of this Unicorn?"

Curiouser and curiouser? Is this a Crimson Unicorn or The Crimson Unicorn? And why would it come to Iv? If it is opposed to Melificent then the enemy of my enemy may prove useful.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:34 pm

"Why would you need the weapon? Ammo definitely. But can't your armour form the weapon itself at need? If you don't want to bother with a quiver you could carry a pouch of stones or metal spheres. I'll bet with your strength you could get a pretty amazing range out of a Staff-sling. Plus that would make ammo easy to scavenge at need."

"I genuinely have never thought of that. That is brilliant. Sling bullets, and a staff sling...probably need to carry something flexible...weave it into my sarong...silk cord and leather pouch..." he mumbles, thinking of how to do it, as he crashes through the forest toward the cave, bowling over the bushes. He can be quite noisy when he wants to. "I still think ranged weapons are a bit common, but with these beasts, probably a good thing to have handy."

Winnow retrieves the reindeer, then comes through the Trump to the airship. He gives Mint's hand a friendly squeeze as he lets go.

He will place the talking animal gently on the deck, keeping the horns from piercing the gasbag Innocent and taking down his helm, gauntlets and boots. He bows leg-and-backhand to the gentleman representing himself as royalty.

"Pleased to meet you, Your Majesty. I am Winnow, of Amber."

Last edited by Winnow on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Before bringing Winnow through, Mint will say, "My associate is ready to join us. May I assume your ship can handle the weight of a large man and a larger reindeer? We have an Obersturmf├╝hrer."

Unless she gets an immediate negative reaction then she will bring them both through.

Once Winnow has joined them, Mint will remove her improvised eyepatch, extract the card from it, and return that card to her deck. Then she will give their host a moment to respond to events and questions before adding anything else.

When I get the chance I will make a finer rig for that little trick. It proved quite useful.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am

Ivmo gives a wave of permission, and when Winnow appears does the mildest of takes. "Greetings O Worthy Warrior!" he says. "Amber you say? It that anywhere near the Topaz Mountains?" He doesn't wait for an answer but instead takes a look at the prisoner.

"Aha! Blitzen himself if mine eyes do not deceive me! But, how likely is that?" He looks to the crew at this last, all of whom burst out into loud laughter that lasts just a tiny bit too long. "We must return to the Secret Haven!" He turns to Winnow and Mint. "Dear friends and worthy warrior, may I invite you to visit the hidden community of exiles we came here to meet and to give succor..to? Many support our cause and would willingly give any to dealt such a formidable blow to the tyrant's forces."
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 pm

"Yes, a bit past, actually," Winnow responds vaguely to the question about Amber's location.

For royalty, he certainly can't seem to keep his syntax straight. And, 'friends and worthy warrior?' which of us is he snubbing?

Winnow gestures subtly toward Mint, shooting her an amused look as he does so. "As I am new to these parts, I will defer to the Commander's wisdom in this matter."
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:40 pm

This is a distraction. It seems almost designed to keep me from my goal. Did 'Julian' set this up? Is a Crimson Unicorn truly somehow involved? Is this whole thing a Shadow Play reflecting my concerns and 'Julian's' and Winnow's and who knows who else's. Or...

Mint shuffles a card out of her Trump deck and passes it to Winnow face down. then replaces the trump deck in her pouch and while continuing to talk does a quick check of her gear to make sure all her buttons and buckles are secure.

"The Worthy Warrior no doubt deserves to be feted and feasted as the Champion who single handedly broke an army of a thousand men, drove off the dread Roberto, slaughtered the frumious Bandersnatch, and slew the Sparrow of Unusual Size."

Mint makes a theatrical half bow in Winnow's direction.

"I will rejoin you when I can or when I am needed. It was a pleasure to meet you...

Mint steps onto the rail of the ship.

The wind racing by seems to garble her speech a bit. Could she possibly have said "...your obscene and goriest tragedy, Ivmo weird teeth and no fame, man dork of Iv, burden of weird force, kook of pie-fight lie lands, fount of the fall of the word mountains, piss count of the porcelain shitter, baboon or under-fed bellies in the wild, depender on the realm and creeper of the fail."

Mint bows to his majesty and then falls off the rail and off the ship entirely.

If anyone rushes to the rail to see, Mint has caught herself on a convenient tree branch and quickly begun brachiating down to ground level.

Winnow has my Trump now and can extract himself when he likes. Who knows he might learn something.

Mint will retrieve her small Tin friend and then run to Brandsburg slowing to a walk only as she approaches the sight line of the first small cottage. Once in town she will make her way to her childhood home with all deliberate speed.

Considering that Winnow drove the army away from town, Mint doesn't expect to see any stragglers here. She also doesn't expect to see much if any change. Then again a lot of what she has encountered so far has failed to meet her expectations.

At least my home will remain as I left it. The protection dad put on that place were meant to last. Who knows, maybe I will find 'Julian' in the Trump Trap dad set up for housebreakers. I'm glad he taught me how to check and empty that one.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:13 pm

His Serene Majesty blinks at Mint's departure, but after a moment turns to Winnow and says airily "You do deserve a party, my friend. The girl, no doubt she has her own errands to run." He shrugs. "Will you come?"

Unicorn

Brandsburg looks pretty much as she left it. Is she pays very close attention, the place seems to be enjoying a tiny bit more prosperity. Cheeks a tiny bit rounder. A few more new frocks than was usual.

A few folks who know her wave.

Within sight of her house, she can spot a flag over where the town council meets. Most towns in this area have councils where all the adults can gather every month or so and argue about what their elected Mayor has been doing. Somethings they approve his decisions. Other times they don't. On a few rare occasions they've tossed a fellow out of office. But only rarely. Mayors serve for one year terms, up to five non-consecutive such.

A flag usually means there's a council meeting scheduled. But the usual flag is white. This one is blue. A very pretty shade. A tad expensive.

No housebreakers, no traps gone off. The place looks as she left it.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:47 pm

"If she is skilled, I just may," he replies, "though I am a bit fatigued."

Not really.

He puts the Trump away with his own.

"And hungry."

Enormously.

"And I left something behind. I need to visit that cave, over there."

He points to the general area.

Have to retrieve the sea-chest with our things in it.

"Would you be so kind as to set me down?"

If they do, he will get out of the airship, happily.

Despite Mint's imaginations, I was not made to fly. The sling idea, now...that's capital.

Once he is out, he will say, "Your Majesty, I have changed my mind. Your airship is far too grand for my ground-bound tastes. I will have to accept your kind invitation another time. Until then!" He gives a cheery wave and scampers off into the forest.

He will retrieve the chest, gather up any stray objects they may have left, then call Mint on her Trump. With a sandwich in one hand. "Mumphl mumph, mring me froo fleas."

If by chance they will not set him down, he will have to Trump out without the chest straight from the airship.
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Mint will enter her home and immediately set her small tin friend to gather everything new that has arrived since their last visit. Obviously this includes the mail which probably has some sort of notice about the council meeting. If anything new exists which he cannot move he will get Mint's attention.

She begins to survey these things to make sure that nothing has arrived from 'Julian' and that nothing needs her immediate attention. She has barely begun the process when the Trump call arrives.

"Oh Winnow, are you sure? I'm afraid that I'm about to start a rather boring part of this particular visit. After I sort my mail I plan to cast a few preparatory spells and then subject my recent acquisition to a variety of tests using my father's laboratory equipment. I will do lots of peering through lenses and taking of measurements. And I will follow that with more spell casting, I assure you that I will Trump you before I do anything exciting."

"I will do all of this dull work in my house which father made as safe as he could from any threat which he could imagine. I am literally safer here than almost anywhere else in existence."

"I could offer you all the excitement that Brandburg has to offer. We have a town meeting where no doubt the endless discussion of precise property boundaries will prove every bit as fascinating as it sounds."

"Alternatively you could travel with the pretentious pretender and eat truly massive quantities of roast beast, drink potent mead, enjoy raucous songs, see wild dances, show off at tests of strength and skill, and otherwise make the party in Rebma look like a pallid delicacy by comparison."

"You might also learn something about the recent onset of Crimson Unicorn worship which seems to have infected Iv."

"Your choice."

Mint extends a hand to either retrieve the bundle or bring Winnow through as he prefers.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 am

Winnow finishes the sandwich while Mint expostulates.

Is she trying to get rid of me? It's not as if I have any amorous intentions toward her, the which is usually reason enough for some women to send me away.

"I am sorry, I detest parties. I detest revelry only a little less. And I find revelry among shadows to be little more than a weak form of self-pleasuring, and I have recently found that to be even paler than it used to be. I realize our association is so far brief, so I hold you no ill will for getting the wrong impression, but I prefer the company of a few equinamitous friends for the soul; simple food and hard exercise for the body; and conversation, mysteries and meditation for the mind."

"If you think it is vital to the mission, I will do as you ask, but I would really, really rather not. If you are certain you will be safe, I would prefer to go back to Amber to take care of a few things. We have each other's Trump now, if I can borrow yours until you need it back. Oh, and here is your chest."

He hands the chest that has mostly Mint's possessions in it through.

Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 pm

"Enter freely and of your own will."

Mint shrugs and brings Winnow through.

"I don't mind having you here, I merely wanted to save you from a bit of tedium. I personally prefer Shadow parties to those dreadfully dull things that Florimel and Moire sponsor for the purpose of scoring points amonst the hoits and the toits."

Mint takes the chest, Separates out the few things of Winnow's and places the rest in an unused corner.

"While you are welcome to go back to Amber if you wish, this Shadow runs at an extremely high rate relative to there and you will have little time to accomplish much of anything if you wish to return."

Mint begins to sort through her mail while speaking with Winnow.

"The thought occurred to me that I have not excluded the Key from the list of possible causes for the changes recently wrought here in Iv. A giant monster and exceptionally talented swordsman to fight, an airship, a pretentious politician, and clues to the Crimson Unicorn all share in common that they could as easily have come from my subconscious as anywhere else. I normally lack that sort of control of Iv, but the capacities of the Key remain uncatalogued. That much at least I can and must change."

"Food will arrive eventually as well as potentially a bit of company. Probably Deirdre as she's a bit of a gossip. The whole town knows I'm here and as soon as she sees you they will know of your arrival as well. 'Only gossip travels faster than Trump'"

"Today's pass phrase to allow access is 'Enter freely and of your own will' which must be spoken by one who already has access. Corwin and Dierdre already have access. Anyone let in by anyone except me can't let others in so don't worry about access chaining. The wards will make violence or theft quite uncomfortable, but an intruder could still be troublesome in other ways so be careful who you let in."

"Feel free to look around anywhere except that room." Mint points at a door. My father's workroom is a bit dangerous without a trained guide."

"If you go out the locals will stare. They don't get many, well usually any, visitors so you will stand out like a sore paw. They are harmless, but I grew up around them so I would like them alive for sentimental reasons." Mint sighs. "Even Eric."

At a glance the cottage has a smallish living room where Mint and Winnow now stand with a table, a bookshelf, a couple chairs, a large window with closed curtains, four closed doors, and a smattering of art as well as a fireplace. A smallish kitchen is visible through an open doorway. The kitchen has another door to the outside, more windows, an interior door, and various odd kitchen implements. Everything is clean and neat.

"Any questions before I become boring?"

OOC: David, does Mint find anything of interest in her Mail or otherwise brought to the house since her last visit? At a minimum she is expecting a letter about the council meeting.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Winnow listens to Mint's monologue, taking in all the information. He excuses himself to use the facilities, hopefully including washing facilities, which he uses to make himself as clean as possible, especially the innumerable small wounds that ccompany even a successful battle.

If there is a tub he will soak and relax, looking at his new bruises and scars with satisfaction.

Even though food is on the way, after that he will occupy the kitchen, with permission, and see if Mint wants a hot meal. He will whip up something from whatever is there, and eat it with gusto. He's a fair hand with a skillet. Call it an appetizer.

He will endeavour not to disturb Mint in her doings, and if nothing else happens, he will take a well-earned nap, sleeping deeply for a few hours is possible. Then, if there is still nothing much going on, he will find a quiet corner, sit on a rug or his cloak on the floor, and meditate to at least an hour, ordering his mind, replaying the battles, looking for errors or better way of doing.

He will also envisage the staff-sling concept, experimenting in his mind with arrangements of poles, loops, fasteners and straps, until he has a few ideas ready for a field-test. The basic concept is a one-handed shaft of armor, with loops on the end to hold the silk-cord straps of a sling. The bullet pouch will be of leather. Perhaps Bandersnatch-hide, if it proves to serve. He will have to carry the sling with him but it can be incorporated into a pocket of his sarong without too much trouble.

Last edited by Winnow on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 pm

One bit of news fairly screams out at her as she goes through the mail. It seems a few months back the Town Council received an offer, one they ultimately accepted. Her Majesty Queen Maleficient had offered this town and a few others the chance to become protectorates under her rule. Debate had been boisterous, but the explicit rules of it all seemed clear:

Protectorates paid a small tithe, in effect a tax, but by small it was clear they meant small. They agreed to fly the Queen's banner, provide support in case of an emergency, not rise up against her, etc. But in turn they accept jurisdiction of her magistrates in cases outside local laws (like extradition). Their goods no longer were subject to tarrifs to Iv City, their citizens have the right of appeal for succor from the Queen (with a warning this was intended for serious matters only) up to and including attacks by bandits or foreign powers, and their fees for using the new canal system now under construction are cut in half. Mostly the folks in each protectorate are left to their own devices, at least on paper.

The Council approved all this by a solid majority and so far the place has been able to sell more of its produce and their postal service has gotten more reliable. Recently someone came from Iv City to explain to local teachers about some scholarships protectorate children might qualify for. Some recruiters of the Queen's military swept by and a couple of young men signed up. One tried who was underage, ending up returned home to his mother's farm when said mother came to complain. This last had been cause of much laughter.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Politics.

Mint snorts and tosses the letter aside. She has no problem if Winnow reads it but she doesn't bother to explain the content.

Once her small tin toy has finsihed gathering everything in the house she sets him a new task.

"Go listen in on the town council meeting. If they are doing anything else egregiously stupid come back and let us know. Write the informtion down, but do not interrupt me unless someone's death is imminent. Do you understand?"

The small tin man runs off.

As an aside to Winnow she adds, "Sometimes I regret that we didn't give him a mouth."

Then Mint finishes the pile of Mail, does a quick double check of the house to ensure that nothing has changed, and settles in to Spell casting.

She begins with To Wrest Beneficience from the Universe. She follows that up with the Dauntless Defender of Durability, and the Edge of Inestimable Excellence.

Once those spells are complete she will take the Key into her Father's laboratory and examine it thoroughly. While she's not as expert as Karlsen, she knows a fair bit about these things. She mainly wants to get an idea if the key is actively doing something and thus potentially responsible for wreaking changes in Shadow or quiescent. Getting some sense of what powers the key does or definitely does not access would also help.

If the key is active she will secure it within the Ineluctable Guarantor of Sequestration. If not she won't bother.

By the time that she has finished all this food should have arrived and her small tin friend should have returned with a report.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 am

The key is a piece of metal with a semi-precious stone attached. As far as she can tell, that is that.

After a while, someone knocks on the door.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 am

Mint will open the door and see who has knocked.

"Hello."
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 am

For this particular Shadow, what stands outside Mint's door isn't particularly odd. Nor very commonplace.

The goose in question is nearly six feet tall, and wears an outfit not unlike a heroine in one of Jane Austen's novels. Complete with bonnet. Her voice, when she speaks, has quite an accent -- as if someone of extraordinary skill were trying to speak using a trumpet almost designed for such.

"Miss Mintabilia?" She manages the sustained consonants very well, considering. It still will take Winnow a few moments to get his ear trained to the accent. "I am Hubbard, Deputy Magistrate to Her Majesty Queen Maleficient." She ducks her head in greeting. Incidentally, she seems quite alone and appears unarmed.

Talking Geese are not particularly common in this area, but Mint knows they're often hired as governesses by wealthy families. Still, not all enter that career. It is rather like upright rhinos. When you see one, they are nearly always mercenaries or something of the kind. But on the other hand almost everyone in Iv knows Shogolonorogo designed some of the most beautiful gardens in existence (partially this was because the upright rhinos loved talking about him--it countered what they insisted was a racial stereotype).

Mint herself heard tell of a particularly successful exotic dancer who was a talking Goose. Not this one presumably, who waits patiently for confirmation of the person she now addresses.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

"Miss Brandsdotor, actually." Mint says with a wry smile. "If your paperwork says Miss Mintabilia I'm afraid that you shall have to return to the Capitol for a reissue. I understand that your boss is quite a stickler for proper paperwork."
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 am

Miss Hubbard nods and removes a paper from a pouch around her neck. Unfolding it, she says, "I'm here to inform you that an imposter ordered the search of your quarters in the Capital. As far as we know nothing was taken but some damage may have occurred. You are therefore entitled to compensation equal to three golden crowns or one token for appeal to the Royal Government. The choice is yours. You may choose now, or anytime before I leave this township tomorrow. Kindly sign this acknowledgement of having been briefed on this state of affairs." The sheet she holds out states exactly that, but enumerates the Token For Appeal is essentially a bureaucratic red flag that says the Crown owes this citizen a favor therefore should be given higher priority.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:55 am

Still no food. Glad I raided the kitchen. Talking geese. Children's stories come to life. Annoyingly bureaucratic life.

Why, this is Hell, nor am I out of it.

A weak and paleish hell, methinks.

Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum