Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Post  David on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Only vague rumors about bandersnatchi.

The airship seems to be making a descent, and in the general area of the woods, within fifty yards or so of the cave entrance. Flying monkeys are actually falling at a steady rate. Now Mint can see the airship does not fight alone. A veritable cloud of tiny, colorful songbirds are attacking the flying mammals, distracting them with dozens and dozens and dozens of tiny pecks and scratches.
David
Admin

View user profile http://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Mint will wait patiently just out of sight. She needs to be sure that Winnow is doing okay against the Bandersnatch before breaking the Trump call. She feels reasonably confident that he will, but given that the airship has not yet landed she has the time to see for herself.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 am

Suddenly an idea occurs to Mint. She almost laughs at the thought, but the stealth protocol is too strong in her mind to permit such a breach.

I will steal an idea from the Kier's playbook.

Mint takes off her pack and silently pulls a few choice items from it. The strip of cloth cut from a favourite house dress the night before and her sewing kit come quickly to hand. Scissors from the kit quickly snip a headband sized piece of cloth from the scrap. Then a careful winding and tying of thread affix the Trump of Winnow to the headband without ever actually piercing the trump.

Sturdy enough to travel with. I no doubt look the fool with a Unicorn playing card for an eyepatch.

Mint then returns the items to her pack and re-slings it on her back. Then she dons the headband.

Mint makes her way out of the cave tossing the torch behind her onto bare rock out of sight where it will burn itself out without setting the woods ablaze. She has her sword to hand and makes her way stealthily at first in the direction of the airship. When she comes to battle any who oppose her will die quickly and efficiently. Even half blinded to her own surroundings by the Trump she is an amazing warrior.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:08 am

[Strange, a post of mine disappeared, sorry. Have to reconstruct. Also, Winnow handed the crossbow and bolts back already, before he went charging the troops.]

Finally, something worthy of a Lord of Amber!

A surge of even greater battle-joy courses through Winnow's body, and he charges the thing, shield high to block any of the nasty spittle from even the small openings in his faceplate.

The worst mistake I could make is to be blinded.

In his right hand his mace becomes a spear, the better to stab and reach vital organs. He uses the mutable properties of the armor to advantage by shrinking the spear after every stab, allowing it to be withdrawn quickly and without lodging in bone.

If the spear and shield prove problematic, he will change to short, knifelike claws and start to burrow his way through the skin of the thing, clinging like a tick and hermetically sealing his armor for as long as he can against the acid saliva, opening it only when he needs air.

Only if he really believes it will kill him will he retreat through the Trump.
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:10 pm

The bandersnatch proves difficult to cut, its fur absorbing many cuts and wounds, and sealing itself in their wake. It also shakes itself hard to toss Winnow away -- turning round and round on the ground, throwing all its weight against the unwanted companion, running at high speeds then doing quick turns. Makes for a difficult battlefield.

If the Bandersnatch manages to grab a limb (as it will certainly try to) the thing's jaws are like a vise. Winnow can eventually part the jaws and get it to release, but only with effort. The saliva doesn't seem to do any damage to his armor.

And the Bandersnatch is soon bleeding, albeit not very much. The most obvious "soft spots" on this creature are its eyes and the interior of its mouth, possibly also the inside of its ears.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Doesn't take long to reach the area of the airship, which now hangs perhaps a hundred feet or so off the ground. At this distance she can see the defenders are doing a good job, with rifle-like crossbows. A blond-haired man with rapier and dagger seems the center of the Winged Monkey's efforts, but he dispatches them with style and energy. Even at this distance Mint can hear his voice calling out "Have at thee!" then laughing.

She can also make out the name of the ship: Virtuous Orbit.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Mint will look for any avenue to make her way onto the ship. Dangling rope, anchor rope or nearby tree would suffice. If none of those seem suitable she will content herself with remaining on the ground.

If on the ground she will slay any stray troops in the immediate vicinity and take the occasional shot at a particularly successful flying Monkey. She simply doesn't have the ammo to eliminate the aerial attackers. That said, if she can commandeer an additional missile weapon from enemy forces then she will gleefully waste their ammo on primate extermination.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:12 pm

David wrote:The bandersnatch proves difficult to cut, its fur absorbing many cuts and wounds, and sealing itself in their wake....The most obvious "soft spots" on this creature are its eyes and the interior of its mouth, possibly also the inside of its ears.

Well, we could do this all day, and I would probably win. Were it just me and this beast, I would gladly battle in a manner to inspire epic poetry in this shadow for generations to come, battering it to exhaustion.

But it has allies which must be routed, there are others fighting on our side and so should preserved as is convenient, and Mint herself, competent as she may be, might need help. Thus, I must end this, regretfully.

Since it wishes to gnaw upon me, I shall oblige.

The next time it snaps at him, he will not avoid it, rather, he will reabsorb his weapon and shield, then endeavor to get as much of both arms into its mouth all the way, to include his own shoulders and head if possible.

If just one or two arms, he will extrude a spike above and below each fist, as if he were holding it and it is growing, directed at the soft top and bottom of the thing's mouth. It will be as if the thing has bitten down on double-pointed nails that keep growing from within. If he is fortunate the spikes will lodge and may even pierce the thing's brain, such as it is.

If he can get his shoulders in, and can do a bench-press, he will do so, growing a hedgehog of spikes all over to fix himself in place and discomfit the monster.

Let's see how it likes a full tonne or more of pressure upon its delicate palate.

The leverage and the bench-press might crack its jaw from its face. Or it may just decide Winnow is too much of a mouthful.
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm

What does Winnow think he is doing?
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Yep that works. The critter screams and tries to throw off its unusual attacker but not before suffering extreme, clearly fatal and extremely painful wounds.

The Queen's Infantry have watched all this from a distance and seem suitably stunned. One of them blows a horn and they all retreat, in as professional a manner as maximum speed with allow.

All remaining flying monkeys follow suit.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Oh, that.

"An unusual tactic, but effective." Mint subvocalizes through the Trump contact. Her tone suggests a wry amusement and appreciation. Were her hands not busy she would golf clap.

Mint tries to get the attention of the airship. She will escalate from waving, to calling out, to her signal horn until she gets a reply.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm

The blonde-haired man salutes her with his rapier and gives some orders. The airship approaches her position and lowers a rope ladder. Now that she's closer, Mint can see the Virtuous Orbit has rather more ornamentation than one might expect.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:31 pm

"I endeavour be indigestible. I find it preserves my health," he says, between gasps of air.

He opens up the helmet-face, the better to breathe, and runs a ripple through the armor to shake off the gore. He then pumps up the colors again to a blaze.

"But the pursuit is not finished. Those people need to be taught a lesson they will not soon forget." Most armies are genuinely broken in the pursuit.

Unless they have some sort of magical speed, the troops cannot possibly run away from Winnow on a road through a forest in formation. He will charge the nearest of them and begin to break their units. Killing is incidental; he will return to shield and mace, intending to bash them, break their lines, smash their leaders, make them run. Challenge their commander if possible.

Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 pm

"if you ever decide on a career with the Rangers, I will write you a recommendation."

Mint leaves Winnow to his fun.

Mint climbs the ladder quickly. When she gets to the top she will introduce herself.

"I'm Mintabilia Brandsdotor. It's a pleasure to meet you. What brings you to this part of Iv... well apart from the airship obviously... you know what I mean, right?"

She finishes by offering a hand to kiss or shake as the gentleman prefers.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Aboard the ariship Virtuous Orbit the man with blond hair gives his weapons to a scruffy-looking individual more-or-less behaving as an orderly, who bows low to the man before scurrying off.

Up close, this man makes for quite a site. The hair, including long sideburns, clearly shows the results of expensive products in use to maintain cleanliness and body. His nose, strong and slightly acquiline. The jaw, a shade less strong than one would expect. He removes his white gloves, takes Mint's hand and kisses it with a flourish--literally, when he rises he tosses back his hair in an effective if theatrical flourish. "A genuine honor, my lady Mintabilia Brandsdotor. Allow me to introduce myself." And snaps his fingers.

The scruffy orderly hurries back and straightens. Clears his throat. Several members of the airship take up position near him. "BEHOLD," he calls out, "HIS SERENE AND GLORIOUS MAJESTY, IVMO THIRTEENTH OF THAT NAME, MONARCH OF IV, WARDEN OF WEIRD FOREST, DUKE OF TWILIGHT ISLANDS, COUNT OF THE WALL OF THE WORLD MOUNTAINS, VISCOUNT OF THE PORCELAIN CITY, AND BARON OF UPPER WEST BERRY-ON-THE-WOLL! DEFENDER OF THE REALM AND KEEPER OF THE FAITH!"

At this point the other members of the crew waiting nearby all take out tiny trumpets and give a blast. Every single one of them is out-of-tune.

Then they return to work.

Ivmo XIII gives another toss of his hair and smiles. His teeth really are too white. They actually gleam.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:06 pm

The battle with the Bandersnatch took place on a field, an greensward within the forest.

All seems to be going as Winnow likes--what with the mayhem and the mass killing, the limbs flying off in every direction, the screams of terror a la little girls from battle-hardened veterans.

Until he encounters him. Make that Him. A man in black. No armor to speak of. Just a pair of rapiers one in each hand. He stands there, as the soldiers flee behind him. Hair, like his clothing, black. Eyes blue. Complexion, olive.

And his skill with those swords, uncanny! As fast as Winnow swings any weapon, aims any blow, the Man-In-Black deflects or avoids it. He clearly is no match for the Amberite royal in terms of strength, but in terms of skill--in that Winnow is seriously out-classed. His blades move almost too fast to see, and all too evidently this man is completely ambidextrous. Plus he seems a master of some kind of martial art that depends upon using his opponent's mass and momentum against him. Due to his armour, Winnow takes no damage. But neither can he inflict any, to his surprise! No doubt he can wear this person down, but he appears to be in really superb shape and smiles as he fights, enjoying the experience.

He even talks during the fight! "You are marvelous!" says the Man-In-Black. "So good to meet you!"
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Mint suppresses the urge to laugh. The presentation really is far too much. She is also a bit distracted seeing Winnow's match. His having finally found an enemy to outmatch him is giving her a much better idea of the actual extent of his skill.

Once on the ship Mint curtseys.

"Ah hadn't realized that ah was in the presence of royalty."

And Ah'm, I mean I'm still not convinced. Really, lay it on thick for the peasants why don't you? Everyone knows the Ivma monarchy uses matrilineal succession. Are those your real teeth? And why did my accent suddenly come back?

"Ah'm afraid that mah associate and ah may have disrupted your plans for that army. Ah hope that you didn't need it for anything."

Sub-vocally to Winnow she adds "Still having fun?"

OOC:Winnow is estimating the skill level of the man in black as well as Winnow. David, does she think she could defeat the man in black if she tagged in for Winnow? Winnow would you PM me and give me some idea how much skill Winnow is actually using? Thanks.
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm

[OOC - tricky question to answer, because Mint and Winnow have not trained together in order to coordinate their fighting. Against this guy, it might be less useful than one might think. On the other hand, he doesn't demonstrate extraordinary strength so it seems unlikely his stamina and endurance are anywhere near Winnow's.]
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:19 pm

(OOC: Okay leaving Winnow out of the equation, how skilled does Mint think the Man in Black is compared to her?)
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm

[OOC - maybe a bit better in terms of pure skill, because he needs to be, having only human attributes. Evidently. But your guess is he is super-specialized at these weapons. He probably isn't near as good if you gave him, for example, a battle axe. Odds are, you're a better tracker and rider and wrestler and archer, etc.]
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:21 pm

(OOC: And now Mint knows how to defeat the MiB if they ever fight.)
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:51 pm

David wrote:
He even talks during the fight! "You are marvelous!" says the Man-In-Black. "So good to meet you!"

"Thank you," Winnow replies. "I have worked hard to become so. But I admit it, you are better than I am."

Beat. "Well. With those blades."

Winnow smiles, a secretive smile.

He will continue the battle, but change to a defensive, flowing fight, putting away the mace and shield, causing instead a blade-catcher in each hand. Rather like scissors, or wire-cutters, these devices are intended to trap, hold and break blades, especially lightweight ones.

Even if this doesn't work, he is enjoying the contest, and he has gleaned from Mint's surface thoughts that she is in no danger, so there is no urgency. Winnow is having fun.
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:13 pm

(OOC: Mint provide the best entertainment for her guests.)
Mint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:20 pm

"Pshaw" says his Serene Majesty with a wave of his hand, "as you can see, we easily had at out disposal methods of avoiding that company. But your companion's most impressive abilities have removed even that inconvenience--which bodes well for our ultimate victory against Meleficient the Hag!" He pauses, as if figuring out what to say next. "Well, the Witch-Queen's Champion has certainly managed to keep your companion from any further useful slaughter of her infantry. Pity."

Elsewhere... Fencing

The Man-In-Black seems to be enjoying himself just as much as Winnow, but sighs after a time. "Alas, my friend," he says in regretful tones, "duty calls! That glorious but ruthless lady." He then disengages Winnow and retreats a few steps back so suddenly the latter doesn't quite have time to react properly.

What looks like a bubble suddenly appears around the Man-In-Black, one faintly purple in shade but obviously magical. From within, the Man-in-Black salutes Winnow. "I hope we shall meet again!" he says.

Next the bubble rises up in the air and flies away.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Disappointment wars with admiration for the Dread Pirate Roberts man in black's performance as he makes his cowardly escape.

Well, he did say duty called. I can accept that.

"...and your little blades, too!" he calls after.

He turns back to the cringing troops, if there are any left, reforming his shield a bit oversize and his mace, enormous. "Boo!" he says to them, giving a feint-lunge to start them running.

If that doesn't work he will whack a few of them, but he finds he has little taste for such easy prey after the Bandersnatch and the MIB.

He remarks to Mint, in a casual tone, "Hmm, well, I haven't fought just one person for so long. I've been specializing in beasts. Battling monsters for local charities, that kind of thing. Now that I am a champion of Amber I suppose I need to train against such rather...effeminate...little ratstickers as he was carrying. Or next time YOU fight him, with your quickness and your leaping about." He smiles and his tone ensures she knows he is not denigrating her skills, just pulling her leg a tiny bit, in a friendly way.

"And...I didn't catch his name."

If the troops run off, leaving him with no threats, he will go hack the head off the Frumious Bandersnatch, and repeat the performance with the Amber Trump, giving similar instructions to the soldiers of the watch - "- and mind the spit, it's caustic."

Have to reward those fellows somehow, when I can.
Winnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum