Strangers in Strange Lands (the Kier and Creampuff)

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Strangers in Strange Lands (the Kier and Creampuff)

Post  Kierenne on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 am

Kierenne is almost bouncing up and down with joy. "Kieran, did you see? She obeyed me. She probably can't understand my words, but she knew the gesture, and she did it. I broke her, and then I fed her, and now she believes she's mine. Isn't that wonderous? Oh, Yay! I get to keep her for sure, now."

She turns back in the direction of the distortion's beat frequency, and starts walking again. "Kieran, here's my sword. Can you go kill some of those dog raccoon whatever things that were eating with Creampuff? We might need to eat ourselves. It's not a proper meal, but the sake of the kingdom may be at hand. We can forgo the niceties in the interest of speed. But I want to get back here as soon as possible."
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Kieran moves and hugs his twin in her exuberance, "I knew you could do it. Soon you'll have her well trained, it doesn't look like she needs much upkeep. She appears healthy, semi-clean, and she seems to have a basic understanding of what you wanted. Well done love. She is yours.."

Taking her sword, while his own sword molds back into a bracer at Kieran's wrist. Kieran walks confidantly towards the billy bumblers, murmuring soft soothing words, "Easy fellas, easy there. Nothing to see here." Continuing his litany, "Just here to get something to eat. Just some lunch, maybe some more for leftovers. Just like you." he gets closer still "Now I think you'll be Lunch, and you, yes, you will be Leftovers." Once close enough, slay Lunch and Leftovers. Aim to remove their heads cleanly.

Careful careful, go for the head, go for their heads. Can't waste the meat.
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:23 pm

[OOC - please assume you are successful. These are ordinary animals after all.]
David
Admin

View user profile http://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Bringing back 3 headless bumblers, "Lunch, dinner, and leftovers."

Starting to skin one of them, "How much nicety are we willing to forego? I for one am ravenous," licking his lips as he looks at the exposed haunch, "And could dig in right now."

Hacking off a section of the torso, then another, sectioned, "We can eat while we move, unless you want to get a fire going. If Creampuff could eat this raw, we should be able to easily."
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Looking around at their environs, and seeing the extreme dearth of residents, Kierenne reaches up to remove her mask entirely. "Brother, nobody is here to see us. Why are we restricted by the masks and the clothes of the Shadow Kier? For all intents and purposes, WE created this world, and we created it without occupants. Now we can let ourselves out of the chains of these niceties Grandfather left us with. No cooking, no fires, no tattered wetsuits, no masks. Just the only two Kier outside of the Enclave, and a world of their choosing."

She spins around, doing a passing imitation of a Rebman dance, though she didn't actually swirl up into the air to do it. She peels off her wetsuit as she goes, noticing the tattered sleeves where Creampuff had rips them trying to escape.

"Creampuff? Come here, dear. Come back to mommy." she calls, gesturing with her hand towards the ground in front of her. "It's time to go, sweetling. Daddy and I are going to walk. You can bring whatever you can carry, but we should go now."

To her brother, "Should we go explore that fake Castle Amber? Or just keep walking straight to where the distortion stops? I almost want to see what the exit to normal shadow looks like." She takes one of the headless bumblers over her shoulder, and starts biting pieces off of it from whatever part will reach her mouth.
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm

"Sister, the clothes? Yes, while in our world, we should be free to enjoy ourselves. But the masks, no. They are too important, I'd advise keeping them on."

"Would you want Prospero to have access to the mask?" Pulling out the first villain the twins have come across. "We maybe free of Grandfather's tutelage, but some things are more valueable than clothing.."

Shedding the less-shredded-than-his-sisters wetsuit, stretching, enjoying the free feel of air on skin.

Those things were rather confining, but a necessity at the time.

Taking a deep breath, letting his muscles loosen up and just enjoying the feeling more, "Remember Cousin Mint's horror though? While here, let skin be in. But if we shift Shadow and head towards Amber again, we should be clothed."

He snags a bumbler over his shoulder, and watches to see if Creampuff understands what he's being told.

"As long as we stay in this shadow, I say we head for the castle. Check out OUR castle."
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

"Do we want to stay here a while? The King still needs to be warned. And we could probably take years or even centuries exploring this world. All of these distortion worlds. Though, I must say I enjoy the company, and the friendly folk of these worlds, our duty to Father's kingdom... our kingdom... is clear. There is a threat. We would be remiss if we stayed here to satisfy our personal urges." She glances around the area, enjoying the idea of a huge city filled with nothng but silence, except for the peaceful crashing of the waves.

"However, a shadow of Amber itself could be significant to whatever plot this is against the True Amber. We should investigate that, at least. And yes, I'll put on my mask. And we should save the suits for when we're in front of people, I guess. " She returns her mask to her face, shifting it so she can continue to eat the raw meat.

"Creampuff. It's time to go now. Have you gorged yourself enough?" Kierenne uses a Power Word to tug on the morlock's ear, otherwise harmless but getting her attention. "Heal, dear. Mommy needs you to carry these suits. Come here, now. and she gestures for Creampuff to approach her.
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Actually getting Creampuff to comprehend her orders takes awhile. But it works. Fortunately predatory instincts recognize an Alpha.

So they set off. The castle in the distance grows steadily sharper, easier to make out. Clearly the place is deserted. In fact, it almost looks unfinished, as if it were an amazingly unlikely arrangement of natural rock that had then been worked. Still closer and stains upon the sides of the walls become apparent. Guano. Curiously, there seem to be few if any birds in the immediate vicinity of the castle itself.

Like the real Castle Amber, a road leads up to the entrance, a road lacking any paving and choked with all kinds of weeds. Movements among the weeds distract Creampuff, who begins to growl.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Kierenne beams at her brother, "See? Already she's helping out. What is it, girl? A bad monster for you to protect us from?" Kierenne takes her sword from the pile of clothes the morlock is carrying, having not wanted even the harness on her flesh while they walked. But now, the naked steal in her hand was energizing more than restrictive.

[Is she growling like she wants to attack, or like she's scared of whatever that is?]

Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm

It isn't clear. She doesn't seem to be eager to attack, but neither is she showing any signs of backing down. Probably doesn't know.

The grass and weeds off to the side one and a half to two feet tall. In moments, the movements amidst them head away from the old road and into the rocks and hills.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Sword in hand, "Seems something was going to assault us, but noble Creampuff warned them off." patting her on the head, "Good job Creampuff, you're learning. Good, good. Daddy approves.."

If she understands, then they should also.

"Who goes there? Speak your intent, or face the wrath of the Lords of this Shadow." Lords? Ladies? Lord and Ladies? Sounds awkward, Lords would be plural, covering both genders, but it doesn't sound right...

Scan the other side to see if it had friends waiting to ambush us from there, using it's movement as a distraction.

"Anything more Creampuff?"
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Doesn't seem to be any more movements in the bushes. From any direction.

Further up, the Kier and Creampuff come to the entrance of the castle. It lies open. The remnants of half a door lie upon the ground. As far as they can tell, the place contains no furniture at all. Light, such as it is, comes streaming through windows of broken glass. The unicorn statues (upon whose echoes Kierrenne had sat and coo'd and sniffled in Rebma) look somewhat unfinished, as if a sculptor had put down his tools when nearly finished. Likewise the steps seem somewhat less than fully hewn.

Various animal bones, mostly broken and at various ages lie strewn upon any large room with a high ceiling. Here and there are tiny swords, perhaps eleven inches in length, amidst some of the bones. Most have rusted away.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:51 pm

The mostly naked girl picks up a tiny sword. "Why would there be tiny swordsmen dying here in empty fake Amber? It's like the place was attacked by those same dwarves who shot at us. And yet these buildings are normal-sized."

"Brother... I keep trying to figure out a history that could lead to something like this. And I keep coming to the conclusion that this universe was created this way... our arrival created the place in this state, with these bones and whatever being part of it. Because there's no reason I can think of for a people capable of stonemasonry and swordcraft to build such an edifice, even igoring how much it looks like Amber, but to stop each and every section of it just before completion. Maybe a totally different asthetic? And then to have that stonecarving people pushed out by this army of midgets with tiny weapons... I just don't see that as feasible. And now there's nobody left. Rustles in the grass... hrm... actually, these swords might have been carried by whatever Creampuff was growling at. But still... sure, we see this degenerated world, but I think it was created like this, not that it degenerated TO this."

"So, that tells me, we create the worlds we pass through. And we can destroy them, maybe just by leaving again. Unless this world was created by someone else who was real, and we're just stumbling across it later. Hrm. This could give us insight into the mind of the enemy." She wanders farther into the courtyard, then spins. "We should go see what the Pattern of this shadow looks like. If it's like ours, we can teleport away from here, once we've walked it. Teleport directly to our own Pattern, to reverse the imprint. Onyx would NOT like us to have been untrue to her for very long. Creampuff, heel. Follow me!"

She retraces the steps where where the Kier's broken pattern would be in the Enclave, assuming that both faux castles would more or less mimic the layout of thye recent castle they've been visiting.
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

As the Kier walk along and around the odd Castle, they see shapes in the rafters. Small ones, roughly a third the size of Creampuff, if that. If they bother to pay close attention, what they'll perceive are dozens and dozens of tiny gray gargoyles, sleeping and twitching. These are clearly living creatures that probably mass as much as a house cat. Some hang upside down like a bat. Others (smaller) huddle together in clumps.

Deeper down, they find the dungeons curiously (or not so curiously, given the castle's inhabitants) free of rats. No door bars their way to the Pattern Chamber, but while a broken pattern seems inscribed on the bare stone, stone is all it is. No power. No glow.

Some particularly large gargoyles (the mass of large dogs) do hand from the ceiling. In the center of the non-pattern, a large clutch of eggs have been laid out in a spiral. Each egg is at least twice the size of a chicken's. Greenish-gray in color.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:51 pm

"Prospero's cohorts led the dwarves here to lay siege to it, as a practice run. Before attempting to take on the real thing."

Thinking further, "Or they were attacked before it was finished, the short ones surprising them while the builders were still at their work. I think you're right, some of these things maybe still here, or something they brought was lurking in the grass."

Moving to her side, placing an arm around her bare shoulders, "I think it fell into ruin, through war."

"Grandfather did say that Amber's blood influenced Shadows they existed in, which explains the Enclave's durability. But I do agree, if we find the source, we can find out why or how the enemy attacked, and how far they made it. The inner keep maybe still in one piece."

He suddenly blurts out, "Onyx? You still call her Onyx?"

He dashes after her to the pattern room, and with dismay upon seeing the inert pattern and the eggs that have desecrated it..."They...would dare....."

"Creampuff, watch those, whatever they are up there." pointing at her, then at the creatures. Repeat twice to make sure she gets the idea, "If they move, growl."

Sword molding into a staff, carefully walk around the pattern, inspecting the eggs, and the pattern. Don't poke them, and don't step onto the pattern.

Even dead, it may recognize Amber's blood and do something.

Last edited by Kieran on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:18 pm

"This is so strange, being in this room, with a pattern on the floor, but it's not OUR pattern. I wonder if I could fix this one... but, not now. That would take a while, I think. It doesn't look like it's empowered, so probably not a threat to Father's pattern. Not unless I fix it, anyway." She inspects the pattern on the floor, comparing it to their own to find any differences (other than the lack of power).

"These creatures are cute. Not as cute as you, Creampuff. Don't worry. But maybe we can get a couple of eggs out of here? I'm... intrigued by the idea of creatures spawned on a pattern, even if it's not empowered. What if we could make some for real, though? Like... infused with the power of our Pattern from conception... just think what they could do?"

"If we didn't have to get back to King Random, I could just stay here forever. I find that I'm really liking this distortion area, except for the part where I can't share your thoughts. Oh Kieran, can we come back here later?"

She walks to the center of the non-pattern and kneels by one of the eggs. Without touching it, she begins to raise her Pattern to mind, so as to inspect the design on the floor and the eggs growing upon it.
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

The broken non-pattern is different than the one the Kier themselves know. Examination of it shows no trace of power, no hint of Pattern nor Trump. The eggs, while clearly fertile, are simply those of some animal native to this place.

Creampuff shows no real effort to obey, but hangs out near Kierrenne. She sniffs at the eggs (which evidently smell bad to her) but looks warily at the gargoyles hanging in slumber above.

David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 pm

[Are the eggs attached to the ground? Cemented in or something? Or just resting there and theoretically mobile if one attempted to pick them up?]
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Each egg seems balanced with a tiny mound of some organic substance. It looks as if it has dried, holding the egg to the floor.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 pm

"This is useless, the pattern here is either dead or just an unpowered copy."

Turning from the eggs and pattern, "Let's check the throne room, Grandfather's room, and the other noble's chambers, see if the destruction reached that far. And see just how close this shadow is to true."

Lapsing into trump contact to avoid waking the sleepers, Also, let's look for statues.

Staff to sword, and lead our merry trio to the main area, listening for Creampuff if she growls.

This place could be a treasure trove.

Maybe this place is what the enemies hope Amber becomes after their siege. This Crimson Unicorn, great great Aunt?, and it's cadre of traitors want to destory Amber, the pattern, and all life here. This is how they want the future of Amber to look. Like reality, Post-Amber.

Random must learn of this, but after we've seen what happened first.
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 am

An exploration of the castle shows the place is not quite a copy in layout of the castle they know. More, many of the uppermost rooms for some reason are even less finished than the rest. Careful examination indicates a little bit of erosion here and there.

Sooner or later, they'll here some noise outside. Voices.

"Brethren," a small voice says from outside the castle, voice raised evidently as before a multitude, "we may face the Time of Destiny! If the caretakers have come at last, if the ancient prophecy of all prophecies stands fulfilled--then our duty is clear! This Keep belongs not to the demons that infest it, but to those who coming hath been foretold! Remember your sacred oaths!"

Followed by what sounds very much like the drawing of a thousand swords from scabbards.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Kierenne hears the voices and makes her way over to the window through which the sounds arrive. Prophecies again? Caretakers of the castle? I know we just now created this world, but if the worlds are created by several 'real' people together, perhaps one can use these tangible manifestations of our collective wills to deduce something about those other wills.

She steps to the edge to catch a peek at the speakers, and prepares to teleport herself down to them for a conversation. At the last moment, she considers... save for her mask, she was as naked as the sword in her hand. There was still blood smeared on her face and chest, and the bloodworms can clearly be seen moving through most of her exposed, and now slightly chilled, flesh.

I hate it when you're right, brother. But it will take too long to climb into the stupid wetsuit now.

And so, with a few muttered phrases and a pause to suck in her courage, Kierenne transports herself down to the voices, not even really sure what they are: humans, dwarves, gnomes, talking cats, or something else entirely. If I remain confident in my authority, and rely on my otherworldly manner to cloak my strange attire, I should be fine.

"Tell me of your oaths, and of these prophecies. I would know who claims this keep and what demons infest it." Her sword is drawn; in fact the sheath is still back with Creampuff somewhere up in the confines of the castle. Still, she holds the naked blade behind her arm, visible and ready, but the closest she can come to offering no aggression.
Kierenne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 am

Below, on the path before the castle is a small army of perhaps three hundred individual...mice.

Big mice. About fourteen inches tall on the average. Standing upright. Most wear some kind of headgear, simple but functional. Many wore gloves and/or boots. At least half had breastplates of some kind while a good quarter sported longbows.
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 am

What do you....vermin?

Tensing for an assault, If they move to attack you, or even threaten you, bring me through. Better yet, do it now before they can ready themeslves to attack.

In a low voice, "Creampuff, we maybe going on a trip shortly. Take my hand." Hold you a hand as his twin had done to lead her, "Now Creampuff, Mommy is busy, but we will go to her soon."

I'm holding Creampuff's hand to bring her also.
Kieran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:59 pm

The mice meanwhile look sufficiently startled for a full beat or two until one steps forward. He wears a shapeless hat with a feather. In his right hand (paw?) he holds a sword but he raises the left to point. "Behold a Caretaker!"

A collective gasp goes through the assembly. Then one by one, the mice sink to one knee. A particularly senior mouse, standing on a rock above the rest, lifts a tiny carved staff into which a tear-shaped piece of amber has been worked. This one wears a chasuble.

"Oh Caretaker of the Sacred Keep--for a dozen score of centuries we have watched yon ediface, watched and waited for you to come and claim your birthright! As the Lawmaker prophesied long ago, and as inscribed on the sacred tablets, the Sacred Keep has come to be an abode of winged demons. Only in the Time of Destiny shall they be driven out, and two of the Caretaker race shall claim their rightful throne! Our people stand ready to wield all our strength to assist you!" He then intones something that sounds ritualistic. "Blessed Be The Caretakers!"

As one, the tiny army roars in response. "BLESSED BE THEM!"

"Blessed Be The Moon Beast At Their Side!"

"BLESSED BE THE MOON BEAST!"

"Blessed Be The Time of Destiny!"

"BLESSED BE THE TIME OF DESTINY!" Then they begin to chant, saluting Kierrenne over and over again. "DESTINY! DESTINY! DESTINY!"
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum