The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

5 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 6 Empty Re: Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

Post  Fergus Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:03 am

[OOC - Don't forget that Fergus has changed his facial features already so that shouldn't be too much of a problem]

"A mask would still be good as then we would fit in and not be seen. If we can conveniently find some wood then I will help try and carve one once we have finished eating. I suspect that Aiden could find us suitable masks too but that would take alot of the skill and pride in one's mask away. I am loathe to take the easy route and lose the connection to my own skills. If you are comfortable with a partial mask then at least you could feel part of the festivities."

Actually he could make a mask over his face using his talent, but that also Fergus feels would be cheating. Fergus eats slowly and deliberately, still watching Aiden's trump contact trying to ascertain any essence of that may signify the use of Trump. He wonders who is calling Aiden.

Fergus sips his tea to wash down his meal.

"Do you have tools available for carving Karlsen?"
Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 6 Empty Re: Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

Post  David Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 am

The wooden icons seem a variety of ages, and would appear to represent stories and/or adoration towards three male and two female winged entities. One male and one female seem older than the others. The older male seems associated with winter. One of the younger males seems associated with autumn. The third male hides his face behind a hood, but his mouth smiles. Evidently rats are associated with him because they seem near him always--but the rats are not portrayed negatively.

All consist of many pieces of wood fitted together, each a different shade to help create the image. None is more than seven inches tall.
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Karlsen responds to Fergus's earlier question about the woodcuts, "The wooden icons appear to be a group of winged entities that the people either worship or respect. The workmanship is quite good, fitted wooden pieces with a excellent eye for detail. The woods are from a wide variety of trees creating different shading so they must have a fair amount of trade, or an abundance of different climates in the immediate area. Quite an interesting piece. I would not mind seeing what their masterpieces in this style look like. Also it might be worthwile sending a few of my craftsmen here to learn from their masters on their joining techniques."

Karlsen, "Certainly. Here so I do not forget to pass it to you." He pulls out a swiss army knife. "This is my spare so do not worry about holding on to it until you are finished with it. Most of my better tools are back at the shop. I think I will do a mixture as the rough cutting of something as complex as a mask is time consuming and requires little skill. But the finish work can be quite challenging depending on the design. I will just get a rough cut mask and finish it up myself."

Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:37 am

Fergus finishes his tea and takes the knife.

"Many thanks for this. I'm going to head outside and see if I can find some suitable wood and make a start. Coming? Aiden might be a while on his trump call and I guess if he wants a mask himself he'll probably get one the easy way."

Fergus heads outside and begins looking for a suitable piece of wood. He finds the stack of logs that the inn uses for a fire and uses the Axe to split the log down small enough to begin carving. If Karlsen wants he will do the same for him.

Having got a roundcut of wood he heads back into the inn to begin carving. Karlsen will notice that whilst Fergus is not particularly skilled at carving he has great attention to detail and is meticulous in what he does. He also takes time to clean up after himself and put the shavings he creates on the fire.

Karlsen can't quite see what the mask is yet, but it appears to have scales on it and at the top he can clearly see horns.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:41 am

Karlsen follows Fergus out and while Fergus is chopping wood he reaches behind the woodpile and pulls out a half finished mask. When Fergus turns to offer to make one he holds up the rough cut mask. "Look what I found." And winks at him.

They procede back to the inn together and Karlsen orders two local beers for him and Aiden, and a third for Fergus if he wishes. He pays with chips pulled from his sleeves.

After setting Aiden's near him he sits down next to Fergus and contemplates the wood for a bit. After 5 minutes he pulls out an identical Swiss Army knife to the one he gave Fergus and starts carving with slow deliberate cuts. While he doesn't make many cuts the cuts he makes are those of maximum effect. Quickly the mask smooths out. It has a high forhead and is almost smooth. There are wide eye holes, and it stopps just below the nose and droops down the cheek bones to rounded points at the point where his jaw joint is leaving his lower face exposed.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Oh the big cheater. I'd have thought that at least Karlsen who was a craftsman would have taken pride in the work!

Fergus accepts the beer from Karlsen though only sips at it slowly. Meanwhile he continues whittling the mask paying great attention to the detail in it. He has a picture of what he wants it to look like in his mind, though he doesn't quite know where the image comes from. He assumes that it must be something that he has seen in a book somewhere.

He spends ages doing each individual scale on the mask and then starts to work on the horns. There are in fact two sets of horns, and inner smaller set and an outer set that are larger and more curved. The mouth seems to be more of a muzzle but it has rows of sharp teeth instead of normal human teeth. By the time there is sufficient detail on it for Karlsen to make out these features the mask takes on quite a fearsome appearance.

"I'm going to need some sandpaper to smooth it down before I can paint it. I don't suppose you have some of that concealed up your sleeve Karlsen?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 am

Karlsen deadpans, "Why would I keep such an uncomfortable thing up my sleeve?" He reaches into his pouch and pulls out two small pieces. "You can also use the back side of the blade to smooth out the wood a bit." Karlsen show him in his own because it is quite smooth in most areas. He holds the blade as if he was going to cut towards himself and then moves the blade away from him. "If you need more I might have to take a bit of a walk, perhaps to our room upstairs."

Karlsen's mask has become almost completely smooth, with only the shape of the nose protruding. He then starts to work on a relief carving into the space where the eyebrows would be. At this point it is hard to tell what they will be.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 am

Fergus accepts the sandpaper gratefully and grins at Karlsen's deadpan response. He begins smoothing down the mask both with the blade and the sandpaper as Karlsen has shown him.

"Masks are used you know for a variety of reasons. The Kier and the other nobility for instance use theirs to mystify and keep the lower classes in order for fear of the unknown under their masks. Others use masks to cover what is considered a hideous appearance in society. Still others use more realistic masks at times to disguise themselves as other people."

But when a man can change his face at will what is then the mask and what his true face?

"The festival here as far as I can tell is yet another use of masks. The idea here is more of a guessing game as to who is actually under a mask. Its idea was originally based around mischief and unknown identity. The balls of the upper class would allow for the varies young people to meet and interact without knowledge of exactly who they were talking with. It apparently led to some unlikley matches in the past. Now it's seems the festival is more of a carnival and that all the populace of Haven get's involved with and the mask making competition is a high profile event."

Fergus finishes sanding the mask.

"There what do you think Karlsen?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 am

Karlsen reflects, "I have used a mask to hide hideous scaring. I was fortunate that because of my heritage those scars have faded from my visage. Unfortunately the inner scars are harder to remove. Perhaps some happy memories with a mask will improve my appreciation for them. I could use an amusing match, or so my Shop Manager says."

He takes the mask and runs an appreciative eye over it. "Is this something from your past? Or expressing how you feel now?"
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 am

Fergus reflects on the question.

"I'm not sure. It just sort of came from my subconscious, perhaps I have a good imagination?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:11 am

"It would not surprise me. Most of the family do have a healthy imagination, though many do not use art to express it."

"Back to an earlier comment you said that the Kier wear masks also. What do you make of the Kier? I have heard some wild rumors but I have not met them myself yet."
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 am

"It depends on what you have heard of the Kier. I met them briefly in Rebma at the party. They share a communication link, possibly a trump fitted to their masks that means that they seem to communicate with each other outside of normal talking. I suspect that they have come to rely on it and the comfort that it affords to know each other is there. In many ways they are almost one extended person in two bodies."

"Kierenne is a sorcerer who seems somewhat flighty and possibly a little unstable. She is however highly intelligent."

"Kieran seems more subdued than his sister but is fiercely protective of her. He seems to be a warrior and nearly came to blows with Mint over some slight that they thought she had made to them. It was fortunate that Llyr stepped in to stop them fighting there and then. There seems to be bad blood between Mint and the Kier, though I know not the cause."

"They seem obsessed with finding out about their father and anything to do with him. As someone who knows neither parent I can relate to that need. They wear their masks and keep themselves completely covered as it was some law that nobles on their shadow should do this. It is somewhat disconcerting I find though I have to respect their tradition. Kieran told me that the shadow they had lived in all their life was destroyed as the sun came back in the wrong place. I think it must have devastated them in a way as they lost their Grandfather, whom I believe was the only relative they ever knew."

"Would I rely on them for my life? I suspect not, though I do not harbour any grudges against them either."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 am

“That is a better assessment than I had previously, thank you. I think what I heard was idle unkind rumors then. Keep that healthy skepticism it will serve you well. We all have our machinations. Understanding where you fit into those plots is the key to surviving as your own man. Using those machinations to further your own schemes is how to flourish as an Amberite.”

Karlsen takes out his Glasses of True Seeing, puts them on and flips the magnifying lenses down. He then switches to the smallest knife on the Swiss Army knife and starts working on the eyebrows. Slowly two serpentine shapes start to form.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 am

"Don't get me wrong the Kier can definitely be seen as some of the more eccentric cousins that I have met so far and I can see why you may have had some less than flattering reports of them."

I wonder what is taking Aiden so long on the trump call?

"As to machinations, I guess it is something that I am still learning about. I have never really had the need for any beyond escaping from my prison and trying to understand people is still difficult for me. I have tended to err on the side of trusting what seems to be an honest motive at present, though I am learning that it is not always right to do so."

Yes Lord Big Ears I have your number!

"So if we all have our machinations, what are yours then Karlsen?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Karlsen laughs, "What is it not obvious? I am after knowledge. I am the library of manufacturing knowledge for the family. Amberites can find most things in shadow but there are some things that cannot be found and must be created. I am working towards a complete understanding of how anything and everything is made."
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:07 am

"Not much of a machination really, more like a worthy cause if you ask me. I'm all for the furthering of knowledge, though I wouldn't just restrict my answer to just how things are made. There is a whole miasma of knowledge out there that doesn't relate to that."

"I don't know if anyone has told you, but it is my wish to found an academy for Science and Sorcery in Amber once we have concluded our investigations. I mean to ask Random when we get back. You are the first person who I have met who really wants progress there."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:03 am

Karlsen laughs. “Well you have to remember that there is a plethora of information out there. I am pursuing one line of inquiry at a time otherwise I would be overwhelmed by the shear enormity of the task. Even with my limited scope I have at least a century of things to pursue on my To Do list.”

“I think that you have to remember that most Amberites are amazingly egocentric. Our generation appears to be less in this regard but our elders, if you believe the chronicles and histories, were mostly concerned with themselves and what they wanted. Few seemed to be genuinely concerned about what anybody outside of the family thought, needed or cared about.”

“The founding of a school would benefit many, but to people who can wander shadow to find schools they want why should they bother with all the work of creating one? There is knowledge that cannot be found in shadow, but that knowledge is closely kept because of the distrust that everyone has for each other.”

“The idea of an academy is a good one. I would suggest that you consider using a University model, with only graduate level classes. Let other golden circle schools do the basic level classes. Bring the best and brightest minds to your University to teach classes to advanced students. A small elite research school that offers lectures for reasonable fees would also be a good idea.”

“The way I set my businesses up is to find the right person to run the business and then let them do it. You will have other things to do, spending your time in bureaucratic labyrinths is a waste.”

“I also suggest you go into Shadow and get a degree in school management. It will give you an understanding of how to create what you imagine in your mind. You could even find a shadow and do a trial school. Might be a good idea as once something is done in Amber it becomes very hard to change.

”Karlsen laughs at himself. “Sorry about going on so much. Present an Engineer with a problem, get a solution.”
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 am

"Actually I appreciate the advice and I'm quite glad you have an engineer's eye about such things. Detail is extremely important about these things and it is often forgotten. I have my own list of things to do and investigate which is fairly long and growing and I'll just have to add all these things to it."

"I have read the chronicles and the various machinations of the Elders, but now that the Elders are no longer competing for the throne surely they could set aside their former differences and work together? The things that they could achieve if they did this would be phenominal. Just one of the Elders can make a real difference in shadow, but working together and sharing knowledge they would be able to do so much for all the people out there."

"I do not subscribe to the view that many seem to have in Amber that the people in Shadow are not real people and do not matter. Its a little like the Pattern analogy you were reffering to earlier about the cat from Mr Schrödinger that may or may not exist. In my view they do exist even if you do not know they are there. It is only when you modify the probability of the Pattern to find them that you can actually get to where they are. If you do not see Shadow dwellers as real people then can you really reign in your own ego to prevent yourself from becoming a monster and losing yourself in your own whims and fancies. You start to think of yourself as a God as Winnow does and that is a dangerous path to follow."

"Sorry it is my turn to start babbling, though this time its philosophy I'm afraid."

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 pm

"Maybe long blocks of naration are a family trait?" Wink (OCC-HaHA!)

"I am no phliosopher. Others would give you a better argument I am sure, but I will pose you a question and see what you say. What is a god?"
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Bleys fallen!? Aiden shakes his head. No!....No, I don't believe it. That has been thought once before. He is a master strategist with more resources than.....I'm not sure I'd believe that even if I saw the body. Still....I hope you know what you're doin', sis. I've a feeling this will get worse, maybe much worse, before it gets better.

Taking his mug from the table, Aiden stands and goes to rejoin the others. Making his way across the common room, he doesn't really notice the activity around him....His thoughts are of Reena...Bleys........crimson unicorns....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:00 am

"Well if you want a dictionary definition of a God then 'A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in religions.' is how I would define a God. The problem I have is that members of the family, whilst powerful and with the potential to create are neither omnipotent, nor omniscient and certainly not perfect."

Fergus spots cousin Aiden coming back over to the table and after allowed him a private moment he asks.

"So Aiden. Who was the call from and what is the news?"

Last edited by Fergus on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:47 am

"Well perfect is subjective, an Amberite can walk to someplace that everyone thinks they are perfect. I can also walk to a place where I am the ruler of the universe, that is what a shadow is after all, and I'm worshiped by every being as the creator. In a way I do create them by going there. Not sure if you can find a place where you know everything, that is a tough one, but three out of four is not insignificant. Does that make us gods? Not to me."

"In my eyes a god is a being with a higher order of consiousness than our own, therefore gods are subjective to the individual. To me the Unicorn is a god, she represents a higher order of consiousness than we have. Perhaps I am wrong but from what my father tells me about her that is what I believe. To most beings of shadow we are gods. We understand their universe from a higher order of understanding, therefore to them we are gods. Though most of them would not know it."

"The real question is whether there is a God." Fergus can hear the capital letter in his tone. "That is a different question entirely and one that I am not qualified to argue about. I feel that there is something beyond all of us and is a prime mover. But where the Pattern ends and It begins is not decernable to us who are too far below him to tell. Someday I hope to find the answer, but I have a suspicion that until we leave this mortal coil we will never know for sure."
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 am

Fergus listens to Karlsen's beliefs around Gods but chooses not to vocalise his response as he awaits Aiden's news.

No cousin, there are no Gods, just more powerful beings. The Unicorn seems like a God to many as you have said, since it has more power than you, but it does not make it a God. The Unicorn is just a very powerful creature. There is a saying that says that power corrupts, and believing that one is a God is just a symptom of that. The Unicorn has never claimed to be a God, so I have hope yet that its motives are good.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:06 pm

"Huh?" Aiden's reverie is broken.

"Oh...sorry. It was my sister, Reena," he says a bit distractedly. Then his eyes focus more clearly on Fergus.

"She's in Uberwald, it seems. Apparently, she is also involved with 'crimson unicorns'....though she didn't go into detail except to say that Bleys had been there before her. "

Looking at both Fergus and Karlsen, he frowns and adds, "She said that Bleys has fallen."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Fergus looks astonished at Aiden's news.

What could take down one of the best warriors in Amber?

"Did she tell you how it happened? It would take quite something to take down one of the Elders from what I've read. The danger seems somewhat more immediate now and gives us all the more reason to be cautious in what we do here in the Nexus."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next