The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

5 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 4 Empty Re: Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

Post  David Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01 am

[Aiden did not contact a place so much as the mind of someone dreaming.]
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 4 Empty Re: Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

Post  Aiden Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:33 am

"I don't know what new mystery she handed you, but I have a my own little mystery involving the city of Haven in the Nexus. That's where I'm off to first. I hesitate to speak for Fergus, but I believe his interests lie along the same route at the moment. If you'd rather work on this new mystery first, you can catch up with me, or us, later since we each have one of these now." Aiden fans the Trump of Fergus before shuffling it into his own growing deck of cards.

"Whatever you decide, I was planning on riding out from the palace stables just as soon as I can get back there."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:41 am

"Nice enough that it would be to see Winnow and Mint again I think our business in the Nexus is much more pressing. If your heading that way then say hi to Mint for us Karlsen and join us as soon as you can in the Nexus via trump. Now I need to go and change before we leave Aiden since as disguise is necessary."

Fergus asks Karlsen for the wash room and heads off. A short while later a man of simlar build with darker hair, a more trimmed beard and normal looking eyes comes back into the room.

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 4 Fergus12

"Just different enough that the cult won't recognise me do you agree." Fergus says, his voice deeping slightly as the sentence progresses. "Aiden do you know the way to the Nexus?"

Last edited by Fergus on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Karlsen says, "Well since you are all set on heading Haven then we should all go that way. If anything important happens I am sure that Mint will contact us."

He heads over to a cabinet and withdraws a black bag. "Sometimes it is usefull to cut an item off from outside influences. This bag will prevent the box from taking in information unless it is a lot more sensitive than I think." He then puts the box in the bag and slings the bag over his shoulder. He then picks up a long stave with what appears to be a blade in a leather sheath on the upper end, Aiden will recognise Blue Dragon Karlsen's personal weapon, something that he has not carried in some time. (Occ - the bag mearly cuts off normal sensory inputs (vibrational and electromagnetic) but not Pattern, Logrus or Trump) "The box can still sense sorcery and Pattern but should not pick up what we say or 'see' anything. Shall we head to the stables then?"

As they leave he stops in at the Plant Manager's office and lets him know that he will be gone for some time and that he is in charge. He also tells him to go observe the clay bird in the bell jar twice a day and note if there is any change and when the change occurs, but to not touch or do anything to the jar. Even if the bird appears to fall apart, which Karlsen suspects might happen after some time.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Horatio follows them to the stables. "The ever-wise Prince Benedict said to prepare several horses that had made the journey to Nexus before. He said they should help in finding the place, especially since so many of those of Oberon's blood had gone there. As I understand it, such passage creates what one might call the equivalent of a path through Shadow. Rather like when people take the same route through a forest again and again."

At the royal stables, a group of horses are off to one side, as per Benedict's orders. A little over a dozen, so the three princelings can have their choice.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Karlsen looks over at the horses and sighs. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather go down to the docks and take a ship?" He then goes through the choices asking the stable hands for a steady mare that is sturdy enough to take him.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Horatio offers "There's a ship Caine used for travel to the Nexus. Prince Benedict does think of these things."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Fergus groans inwardly at the thought of another boat ride. He'd done the trip in reverse before and he'd not loved that part of it.

So the choice was simple boats or these strange beasts of burden that he'd seen pulling the carriages.

"So which form would you prefer cousins? I can't say I'm fond of boats."

Last edited by Fergus on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:12 pm

[OOC - I'm confused. Are you guys taking the horses from the palace and putting them onto a ship for some reason? If so, Aiden will probably ride and meet you there.]
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:12 pm

[OOC - I'm a little confused as well. The way 'out' of Amber via Shadow is either by East by sea or West by land through Arden. Which way is up to you guys.]
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:03 pm

[OOC - Maybe it was me who was confused. I read it that we'd be going part way by boat and part way by horse. I have edited the above post to state Fergus' prefernece, and leave the decision up to the other two. Apologies for creating any confusion.]
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:12 pm

Aiden smiles and walks over to a sleek chestnut mare twith a spirited eye. "She'll do," he says while patting the animal softly on the neck. "Hold her for me," he asks the stable attendant.

"Well that's just as well as I'm in the mood for a ride in the country right about now," he answers Fergus. " Gimme a few minutes to grab something from my room and I'll be ready to go."

Aiden dashes across the grounds and through one of the portals into the palace that line the formal gardens. Turning right and left and then up a flight of stairs, Aiden comes to the polished oak door of his suite.

He enters and comes to a stop before a large glass weapons case in the living room. I knew I should've brought this with me in the first place...sigh Opening the door to the case, he mentally runs down various blades set on hooks against the back wall. His eyes alight on an antique sabre, lightly curved and of medium length. It's silvery blade almost glistens with its own inner light; one of Aiden's first and most useful finds during a very early expedition to a parallel Shadow of 19th century Earth. That'll do nicely.

A few moments later, Aiden is dashing back along the carpeted hall, down the stairs, and out into the gardens again. He arrives back at the stables not more than 10 minutes after he left, eyes shining and raring to go. "Seeing Karlsen sporting Dragon reminded me I should probably have a blade along. I normally don't wear one when I'm on a job. It can be awkward in some places."

Retrieving his mount from the stable hand, he climbs into the saddle and takes the reins. "Ready when you are."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 am

(Occ - Sorry for muddling the waters! It was more of a comment that he is more at home on a ship than on horseback. He has a sailing background and has only learned to ride out of necesity. Notice he did pick out a horse for the trip.)

"I can't say that I am overly fond of hayburners." (at Fergus's confused look.) "A term for horse that is less than flattering, but not unkind. I would rather have a rolling deck underfoot and a good wind at my back." His eyes take a far away look. "Blue waves with white caps as far as the eye can see. At night the stars come out so clear you feel you could reach out and pluck them from the sky." He sighs.

"But from a practical standpoint a horse will get you a lot of places a ship can't."

Karlsen takes a moment to make friends with his cream colored mare. Giving it an apple from his pocket that he had thoughtfully picked up on the way to the castle. Then Karlsen climbs up into the saddle after attaching the sorcerous box in its bag to the back of the saddle. "I to am ready. Since this is your expidition Aiden, lead on."
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 am

"We don't have such beasts on the Nexus. All the transport I saw there on Holo-TV was clockwork based."

The last remaining horse is a big black stalion with a evil look on its face. The groom says its name is Thunderbolt and catches himself before using the title Lord to Fergus.

Fergus eyes the beast suspiciously before trying to mount as the others have done. He almost comes off but manages to save himself from an embarrassing fall.

'Ready when you are!"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:26 am

(OCC - Fergus displays Amber Reflexes! LOL)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 pm

"Right then, let's be off." Aiden rides out leaving the stables behind, nudging his mount into quick trot as they enter the forest path.

Turning in his saddle and glancing at Fergus, he says, "Let your horse do the work. Remember, it's trained to follow your will.....Loosen up a bit on the reins. Give it its head. It knows what to do..... By the time we reach Nexus you'll be an expert horseman, I''ll bet. "<grinning>

"Once we get far enough, I'll begin shifting Shadow to bring us to the city of Haven. And yes, to answer your question, I know how to get there. I had the place described to me in great detail."

Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Fergus looks down and the horse and wonders exactly how to start it and tries to follow Aiden's instructions. He lets the reigns loosen and assuming it knows what to do says.

"Follow the other two horses."

Thunderbolt does not move. Fergus thinks for a minute and Aiden said something about the horse following his will. He slips into the horses mind and exerts his naturally strong will on the horse.

Run after those other horses.

The mental dominance of Fergus forces the horse to follow his command, yet as he does so his grip on his disguise relaxes slightly and his natural eye colour starts to show through.

The horse does all it can to follow Fergus' will and bolts after the other horses who are going at a more sedate pace and Fergus is forced to cling on for grim death until he can mentally command it to slow right down.

He shouts back at the others.

"Just starting to get the hang of things. Needs a little fine tuning on the accelerator button I think!"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 pm

"That's the spirit! You've got 'im atcher mercy."

Aiden chuckles....and kicks his mount into a quick canter.
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:00 am

Karlsen chuckles at Fergus and shakes his head. He easily keeps up with Aiden. "So what mysteries are we to investigate that are so pressing? Besides the obvious of where the birds go and who do they report to."

(Occ - I keep having this image of this drawn manga style. Aiden and Karlsen riding along. Fergus bouncing out of control into and out of the frame. Maybe in the style of Samuri Jack?)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 am

Fergus finally manages to get Thunderbolt to go at a steady pace to match the others without going too fast or too slow. Though his riding style is not pretty and won't win any dressage awards, he manages to hold on and indeed molds his legs to get a better grip to avoid falling off. Now he doesn't need to provide loads of effort into commanding the horse he attends to his eyes.

"I can't speak for Aiden but the reason I am going back to the Nexus is to try and find trace of the woman who I believe may be my mother. It seems that a number of the cousins have found traces of a mysteriously family of people with unusual coloured eyes like mine. The lady, who may be my mother, is called Isobel and it seems belongs to this family. He has some information that Isobel had a house on the Nexus that we might investigate. Cousin Aiden may be able to provide you with more detail on this."

"My second reason for going is to find out more about the people who incarcerated me during the course of my life. It seems there are two prophecies about me, one made by the founder of the Unicorn religeon in Uberwald which pertains to me preventing a blood war and another twisted version of the same prophecy which pertains to me destroying everything. The cult who created the monocle spread the second one around the Nexus, and I would like to know just who is at the heart of this cult and why they are doing it."

[OOC - Karlsen - that was just kind of how I was writing it so I'm glad it went over the right way Smile ]
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am

[OOC - Aiden, you know the way so I look forward to reading your description of the journey through Shadow. Very Happy When I first played AMBER online one of the most interesting passages I wrote was of my character Walking The Pattern for the first time. Hope you have as much fun as I did!]
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 pm

"I too am on a mission to find the Lady Isabel.....also for various reasons. For reasons too complex to go into at the moment, I have reason to believe she may be the key to the various mysteries and odd phenomena that we have recently all become embroiled in. "

"Additionally, she seems to come from a heretofore unknown family - at least unknown to Amber, though we may all be related in some way - of great power. They've demostrated that they have access to something like the Pattern in Amber. It's even possible that they have created or are connected to an entirely different kind of 'Pattern'. one of which we know nothing about."

Aiden quits speaking and looks around at the landscape for a moment. "I think we're far enough out now. I'm gonna start heading for Nexus...." With an amused grin at Fergus he adds, "...so don't wander off "

Let's see, what should be first?....

The green of the forest begins to deepen, in some places to almost an aquamarine..... Here and there appear garlands in the boughs of something resembling Spanish Moss, but softer and finer like gossamer silk.......
.....The deep blue of Amber's sky is replaced by a very pale, luminous blue canopy....The sun ... nearly the same...brilliant yellow gold.......
.......wispy clouds appear, merge, then pull apart like old dandelion heads in the palm of a child.....
.....Off to the right, a flash of bright color from a high branch.....from somewhere comes the scent of tuberose mingled with lilac.....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 am

"Cousin Aiden, I have never wandered anywhere in my life and I have no intention to start now."

Fergus mentally commands Thunderbolt to follow the other horses and shifts his weight slightly to get more comfortable in the saddle.

He watches as the scenery changes around him as he had on his hellride down here with Uncle Gerard. The different flora and fauna on display is fascinating and at another time he might have wanted to study it, but the urgnecy of finding his mother was a priority and there was no time for side trips.

Aiden and Karlsen had brought weapons with them. Fergus did not own anything much, least of all a weapon. He ponders the issue for a time and decides that if it got to a fight he'd need to improvise on the spur of the moment. This was an information gathering mission though and he hopes that there would be no need for fighting.

"Cosuin Karlsen, whilst we ride, tell me a little of where you are from?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 am

Karlsen watches the change for a bit and Fergus wonders if he heard him. "Well we have a long journey, why not? My mother was working in the palace of our local noble when she caught Gerard's eye. He was there on a trading expedition and then gone within a fortnight." Fergus can hear a long buried pain behind the words. "He never knew about me until much later. I grew up a wild child and as soon as I could I signed on with a merchantman as a cabin boy. Over time I grew and rose in the merchant marine until I was first mate on the Peony. She was waylaid by pirates and they made sport of us. My face and body were cut and washed with salt water. I looked a monster when in desperation I lifted the barrel I was tied to and leaped overboard. Days later I was picked up and nursed back to health, but my face was a ruin. I donned a mask and returned home.

I recovered my strength and walked into the noble's Audience on the Summer Solstice. That is the day that people may ask a boon of the noble. You generally get one audience unless you have done something extraordinary. I had a group of fellow sailors and Captains with me. We asked the Liu Bei for a ship of the line and escorts to be dedicated to hunting and eliminating the pirates that were terrorizing the sea lanes. Liu Bei was shrewd enough to see that he must do something but did not have naval ships of the line to spare. Afterwards when I looked back I realized that we were fools he could never have given us what he wanted. Instead he gave me a letter and the smallest ship of his navy. The letter is what I have learned later is a letter of ‘marquis’. Basically that any pirate ship that I took I could keep and any cargo carried was mine after I paid a 20% tax on it. With a ship at my command I called in some favors with some unsavory types and put together one of the most deadly crews ever to sail the seas.” He smiles at the memories. “We cleaned the entire northern seas. I became a Barron of a small group of islands and an Admiral of a good sized fleet of pirate hunters. My mother was able to spend her old age as a well-respected woman. She was very proud of me and I cherish the memory of her happiness.”

“After the northern seas were clear our province became more prosperous and when trouble stared to the south the Emperor appealed to us for help. I counseled the Liu Ma, Liu Bei’s son, not to send his fleet. That he should send only a token force under the pretext of increased pirate activity, perhaps instigated by their enemy. He was a headstrong boy and he feared my influence so he agreed if I would lead the expedition. I took our few ships and volunteers south and we were immediately divided up among the Emperor’s other forces. It was a disaster and when it was over I was in chains. When they removed my mask all of my scars had healed. Fortunately none from my country were present or I would have been branded a demon. I was sold into slavery and spent a long time working the billows in a smithy. Over years of observation I learned the basics of smithing, then one day I was caught watching and the Master Smith asked how much I had learned. When I told him he started secret lessons and declared that I was the fastest student he had ever taught.

When a clockmaker produced a masterpiece for Cao Cao, who owned me, he asked as a reward for a slave to help him with the metal working as he was becoming too old to carry out some of the harder tasks. Cao Cao who was distracted by the magnificence of the clock waved his hand and said, “Go and choose one from my smithy.” The Master Smith saw my chance and directed the clockmaker to choose me. Cao Cao was furious when he learned who was chosen but could not go back on his word. But the anger of a noble does not stop when first frustrated and we were forced to flee to a far land.

Then began one of the happiest times of my life. The clockmaker became my dad and I his son. We spent many years creating masterworks. There was no strife, we created and learned.

When Gerard appeared and asked after our clocks we thought nothing of it, just another foreign customer. He came back several times and eventually invited us to dinner. Over dinner he told us the most extraordinary news. I was his son.” Karlsen smiles at the memory. “I of course did not believe him. He simply said that he could prove it and stuck out his arm, elbow on the table. I had never met anyone that could match my strength, as you know an Amberite is much stronger than almost any shadow being, even one that has not walked the pattern yet. We locked hands and the bar erupted in frenzied betting on the outcome. I started to push at him but it was like moving a mountain. I like to think I moved him a hair but I doubt it. Then his eyebrows raised and his hand started down. After a few centimeters something inside be snapped into place and I locked that position. The bookies strained to hear bets as the crowd erupted in cheers and shouts. We held that position for a minute and he started to strain. I fought as hard as I could but it was no use. About half way down I pulled all my reserves out and I halted the hand. Then he smiled and poured on the power. It was like an entire continent was placed on my hand. If I was a lesser man my arm would have snapped like a twig, as it was I was sore for two days. The back of my hand touched the table and we let up as the bar erupted in shouts. I felt like a wrung out rag. He ordered a round for the whole bar which practically brought down the roof.”

“Later he explained that I got my strength from him, none but an Amberite could match him even for a moment. We spent the next weeks getting to know one another and eventually I came to Amber with him and have continued my learning and making ways.”

“What about you Fergus?”
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:35 am

"Well there's not much to tell really. You seem to have had a much more interesting life. Ever since I can remember I lived imprisoned in a house in the Nexus, that I have since found used to belong to the family. My earliest memories were of a nursemaid, though ever present was a man with a monocle by the name of Dragan Forrester who ruled my world, literally. Mr Forrester would take delight in trying to show his superiority over me in every way both mentally and physically when I was young. He would even insist on me calling him King Forrester at times when the mood took him, since he ruled my world, or so he said."

"I was told early that I was a demon child that would bring about the end of everything. There was a prophecy you see on the Nexus that I would destroy everything, but that killing me would result in disaster too. So they kept me locked away so I could not do the harm that was foretold. I grew up determined to escape and prove the prophecy wrong."

"My first escape attempt was when I discovered my ability but I was caught as the house had cameras everywhere monitoring my movements. They soon to steps to prevent me from using my talent and I was forced to improve my mind instead. I was given tutors and access to a Holo libray and a Holo-Vid, so I watched and learned all I could. Though I have never really been to the Nexus for instance I can tell you much of its history and points of interest. I picked up on philosophy, science and engineering and taught myself what I needed to make myself self sufficient."

"My next escape attempt involved me trying to tap into the clock-circuits of the house to short the doors when an engineer had come to the house. I had started asking questions of how such things worked and I soon picked up some skill in that area. Again I was caught and was henceforth forbidden to speak to any of the tradesmen coming to the house. Apart from Mr Forrester and my teachers I rarely spoke to people and I am very used to being on my own."

"My final escape attempt involved a you woman called Amelia Vane who said she was from Begma. She was my fencing tutor that started to train me when I was 16. She sympathised with my plight and when I was 20 she engineered an escape. The escape was the first time I got outside the house, but we were caught soon after. I never saw Miss Vane again after that, I do hope that she is alright and they did not do anything to her. I got treated to Mr Forrester's Holo-Whip after that escape attempt and I assure you that you don't want to be touched by that thing."

"Then about 9 months later Uncle Gerard rescued me and brought me back to Amber. I'm still really trying to adjust to things as there is so much that is new to me."

"I have since learned that there is a second older prophecy that relates to me which was made by the first Priestess of the Unicorn in Uberwald. This prophecy seems to state that I will prevent a blood war, which given what I have read of the last blood war in the family seems like a good thing to me."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next