The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where Nobody Knows Your Name(Mint, Karlsen)

3 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Where Nobody Knows Your Name(Mint, Karlsen) - Page 4 Empty Re: Where Nobody Knows Your Name(Mint, Karlsen)

Post  Mint Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:45 am

"Ah got the basics at school, but lessons from Bleys really helped me up mah game. Yoah better than most shadows. Avoid the enhanced hyper specialized types and yah should do alright. Try ta stay on the good side of family."

Mint slowly but inexorably raises herself to a standing position while fending off Karlsen's fury of blows.

"If yoah master plan is ta lure me inta a sense of false confidence then you have succeeded."

Mint smoothly swaps the sword into her right hand without missing a beat in their exchange.

Next Mint starts working through a textbook series of maneuvers. Even when Karlsen knows the exact move that Mint plans to use next her speed (10) makes his reaction difficult. Eventually Mint works her way around to a few strikes that Karlsen does not recognize at which point he starts to take a few blows. Satisfied Mint steps back a pace offering Karlsen a break.

"Got anything in particular ya want ta work on?"
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Where Nobody Knows Your Name(Mint, Karlsen) - Page 4 Empty Re: Where Nobody Knows Your Name(Mint, Karlsen)

Post  Karlsen Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:33 am

Kalsen hops up in one smooth motion. He rotates a shoulder a bit testing where one of Mints got through. "I always try to stay on the good side of family. Growing up without one gives me more appreciation for what we do have here. Even if I was as good with a sword as Benedict I would still stay on the good side with family because that is my nature."

He walks back to the tarp and lays the sword down. "Not with a sword no. I don't carry one normally." He mops his face with a towel hanging from the back of his belt. "But it was good to get some practice in. You never know when you have to pick one up and defend yourself." He then walks over to a fallen tree and pulls out two pitchers of water from behind it. He drains one on the way back to the tarp and offers Mint the other. Then he picks up the longer stick that is carved over the area he grips and the larger uncarved blunt area represents a heavier blade. "It's not Blue Dragon, but close enough."

When Mint is ready he will again take up a guard stance. Right foot forward, glaive parallel to the ground at waist height with the blade towards Mint. He stands relaxed and loose.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:32 am

"I grew up an only child. At least I think I'm an only child. I never met any siblings. Either way I grew up without any so maybe I'm a bit spoiled and a bit headstrong. I will learn to get along with family now because I have to."

Mint accepts the pitcher and sips at it gently.

"Swords are inconvenient. That goes double for a big man like you. You wear a sword and it says that you are ready for a fight. You may not want to say that all that often. A small girl like me the sword speaks differently. Knives on the other hand are convenient."

Mint reaches behind her head and pulls back the hood. reaching down into the back of her leather top she extracts a thin dagger that Karsen probably didn't notice until now. Mint sets down her practice sword and takes the dagger she just extracted to a short piece of wood. In just a few minutes she carves a simple but elegant practice blade then returns her metal knife to its hiding place.

"A man without a sword may just be cautious. A man without at least a knife is a fool."

Mint then reclaims her practice sword and takes up position opposite Karlsen in a face on Sword and Dagger stance again with the sword in her left hand.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 am

Karlsen starts to circle her. The glaive suddenly becomes alive in his hands. Before with the sword there were hesitations and considerations before attacks. There is no rustyness to his moves now.

He starts flowing into and out of his range. The stick whistles and flows, never stopping. He patiently starts to work out her defenses. He knows she is faster than he is but the change in weapons should give him a slight edge in reach and he tries to work that all he can. When she pulls something particularly spectacular or surprising he pauses and analyzes the move. He might even have her show it again half speed. If he can't work out a counter he will ask if she knows one. (Still Amber Warfare.)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Mint is actually more wary of Karlsen's open hand than his weapon. She knows the strength of his grip. She dances in and out of his range striking a regular percussion of blows from a variety of directions. Then she ups the Tempo. Then she ups it again. And again. Thump. thump, tap. Thump, thump, tap.

It becomes quickly obvious that she is using her superior speed to see if she can force him to wear himself out keeping up. There is an opening in her defences for a tiny sliver of a second between the tap and the first thump. Is she presenting it deliberately? Is it a trap?
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:53 pm

When he dances in he circles to the side and back. Anytime she ups the tempo past Amber she gets through to him, he just isn't fast enough. He only manages to deflect them by using the ocasional esoteric defence that she has not encountered before, or using the slight superiority of reach to move back before she can close.

He will test the opening to see if it is genuine. If that is an opening, then she needs to know about it now. But I am almost sure it is a trap. Let's see what kind. (Still working at Warfare Amber.)

He has worked up a good sweat but no signs of tiring. He starts looking for signs of tiring in her, not really expecting to see any.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Mint shows no signs of tiring yet (Endurance: Chaos+). Then again she is forcing Karlsen to do far more work than she in order to keep up.

A strike to the opening nearly works, but her superior speed deflects the blow at the last instant so it merely grazes rather than strikes fully.

"Nicely done."

Mint steps back at this point to give Karlsen a chance to withdraw if he wishes. She snags her pitcher and takes another few sips from it.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:32 am

When Karlsen scores there is soft applause, like golf claps but smaller. If Mint looks around while Karlsen picks up his pitcher she will notice that they have attracted and audience of small forest creatures. If she thinks back there were small sounds when she hit Karlsen that were small intakes of breath. Kalsen picks up his pitcher and walks over to a woman who appears to be made completely of water. "Sylvia, this is my Cousin Mint." When Karlsen says the word cousin the woman's face soffens from its worried look. "Would you be a dear and get me a refill? Mint do you need more?"

When Sylvia retires with the pitcher (or pitchers) he returns to his ready stance. Karlsen looks just as fresh as when he started using the glaive, even with moving more. (Endurance: Amber) He says, "Ready when you are. She will be a bit."
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:24 pm

"Hi Sylvia, pleased to meet ya. Don't worry ah won't hurt him much. We're having fun."

Mint drinks a bit more and the passes the mostly empty pitcher to Sylvia.

"Thanks."

Mint has no trouble keeping the fight going for quite some time as well (Endurance:Amber).

OOC: If you have more that you want to do with the fight feel free. I think that we have accomplished everything I have set out to do and so I'm good with moving to the end of the sparring session if you want.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 am

(Occ - I think we have done more than enough with that. Tempted to run a whole mini adventure here! Laughing )
When Sylvia returns with the pitchers Karlsen quickly grabs both of them and smells them both and looks at Sylvia. She looks a bit sheepish. He pours one out rises the empty with water from the full. He then half fills it and keeps the mug he emptied and hands the other to Mint. "She wasn't beating me THAT badly." He turns to Mint, "Something to slow you up a bit. I'll keep that pitcher, after rinsing it shouldn't affect me."

When the light starts to fade Karlsen steps back. "Enough! I give. Shall we eat here or do you wish to return to Amber? Winner's choice, I will buy." He smirks at that and gives a salute with his practice glaive.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 am

Mint seems unfazed by Sylvia's attempt.

"Heah's fine. Sylvia may join us if ya like."

Mint returns Karlsen's salute.

"Ah had fun. Thank you foah the hospitality."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:31 am

“There is a good inn down the way that serves a great grilled chicken. I would suggest that we head there for dinner. Sylvia…” he looks over at her.

She responds, “I am of the woods and a pool nearby. I do not leave this area. Go and enjoy. I am sure that you will return later.” She smiles at Karlsen and walks back into the woods.

Karlsen packs up the gear and has Sylvia bring two more pitchers of water. He hands one to Mint and says, “You can use the cottage to freshen up. I will just wash up out here.” He will strip to the waist and rinse the dust off of himself. He then waits for Mint to finish in the cottage and when she is done retrieves a spare set of clothes (somewhat nicer than he was wearing before) from the cottage.

“Ready?”
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 am

"Until we meet again, Sylvia."

Mint returns from the cottage a bit cleaner after about 10 minutes.

"Lead on."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:50 am

Karlsen leads them down a slightly overgrown path. After an hour or so through the slowly darkening orange woods the path joins with a cart path that slowly winds along. He goes down hill and eventually they break out of the forest just in time to see the sun outline a cloud before going down for the night. Just ahead is an inn nestled in a bend of a river. After a few minutes in the waning light they reach the door.

A chorus of "Karlsen!" rings out when he enters. He waves at the people in a genral way and they call out for him to come have a drink. "Not tonight boys. Just got my @ss handed to me. Gotta pay up." He looks at the slate board above the kitchen door. He then snags a waitress with one arm around her waist and recieves an elbow in the gut for his trouble, but he hardly moves so it must be more show than force. "What gratitude you show me Miranda. I come and buy out half your food, heaping gold on the place and this is how you treat me?"

"You breeze in once in'a blue moon and your gold is long gone by the time you get back." She squints at him. "And you never age. Darn depressing that is."

"I am wounded. OW!" That after she stamps on his foot. He lets her go with a chuckle, "Well get back to the kitchen then you harpy. We will take ..." He then procedes to order about half the things on the slate and a few that aren't. She takes it all in stride and heads back to the kitchen. He then picks up some pitchers of beer from the bar and grabs a small table near the back. The locals take a bit of interest in Mint but wisely not too much interest.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 am

"Yah do have a way with the ladies. Ah haven't been heah that long ta meet two of em that are head ovah heels for yah."

Mint evaluates the locals as well, but mostly leaves them alone.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:32 am

Karlsen laughs. "Her! Don't let her fool you. She is married and has 4 kids."

Miranda comes up and starts putting plates of steaming food on the table, "6 now. You've been away." She hurries off to get drinks for some of the other patrons.

Karlsen continues, "6 kids. She and her husband have been head over heels for each other since forever. She is like that with all the locals. Pleasant female company helps me to relax so that is what I found when I went looking for a place to do a bit of relaxing. I suppose that comes direct from Oberon. But don't be fooled, anything more and every man in the bar would jump up to defend her."

"Sylvia is a different story though. Lady is a bit of a stretch for her. She is a naiad, daughter of a local god. I am one of the few beings that is as long lived as she is. We have grown .... closer over the years. But she is tied to her spring and I am bound to Amber so while we enjoy eachother's company there cannot be more than that. Someday I suppose we will have to work out what we mean to each other and what we can do about the situation.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Once Miranda is out of hearing, Mint says, "Yah sure? Ah seen how she looks at yah and she is married not dead."

Mint digs into the food heartily. Her manners, while decent are not gentile and she has the appetite of an Amberite who just spent the day at moderately strenuous physical activity.

"Doesn't walking the Pattern mean yah can do anything? Or neah enough?"
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 am

Karlsen looks at her, "I'm very sure. She is still working in a bar after so many years. Flirty is in her nature. You should see her with her family, that would convince you. Maybe some other time."

Karlsen's manners are also unrefined. He digs in with a gusto into the plentiful flavorful food.

After some time he says, "Well yes and no. I am not a philosopher so please forgive my inability to express this well. It is like playing in a very big sandbox, with an amazing toy at the center. If I play in my corner I can do whatever I want with the sand. If I work hard enough I can even keep the other kids out of my area. The moment I want to play with the other kids it becomes a lot more complicated because we can both do whatever we want until we try to do something the other doesn't want, with results you can imagine. Now there is an amazing toy at the center and that is where most of the kids want to be and play with the amazing toy. Play around the toy revolves around the toy so to play there you have to play the way the toy lets you. All the kids are playing there so play in that area is very restricted and there is a lot of tension there."

"Does that make sense?"
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 am

"Ah can see that talk of her feelings makes ya uncomfortable so ah'll drop it." Mint remains plainly unconvinced despite or perhaps because of Karlsen's protestations.

"A bit ovahsimplified, but it squares with what ah have heard elseweah."

"This is quite good. Should ah compliment the chef foah making it, you for making this place oah both?" Mint asks mischievously.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 am

Karlsen grins, "That's easy, thank him. He did all the hard work. I just found him at the right time for my benefit."

"I am going to head upstairs and catch a good night of sleep, then head back to the shop. Are you going to head back now? Later? With me in the morning?"
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 am

Mint stands and calls back to the kitchens, projecting her voice quite adequately."Mah compliments to the chef foah the best meal ah have had in ages."

Then she sits and resumes a more conversational tone.

"If there's a spare bed here on offer ah will take it. Ah could use one night when ah don't have to worry about the rest of the family finding me."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 pm

A muffled voice comes back in return from the kitchen. "Thanke kindly! More're dat came from if ye ken fit it."

Kalsen chuckles, "Then I will bid you goodnight. It has been two long days in a row with no sleep between them and a bed is starting to sound like a little piece of heaven. Breakfast is a bit casual here, just order what you want whenever you get up. The pancakes are good, expecially the orangeberry ones if they are in season." With that Karlsen has a word with Miranda and walks over to the bar. The man behind it pours him a nightcap and gives it to Karlsen along with the key.

(Occ - Not sure if you want to do any more here. I can rp the people in the bar {it isn't the land of 1000 princes but there are eligable men here Razz }, or if David want's to step in he could. Or we can rp breakfast/lunch if you want.)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:22 pm

OOC: I think this is actually a pretty good place to wrap the thread. Thanks. I had fun.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 pm

(Occ - I was thinking so too. About the only thing left would be how Mint gets back to Amber and makes contact with other family. But I don't think it is very necessary to flesh out either character. I think we have mined this shaft for what it was worth. It has been very fun and got me back to rp form faster!)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Mint can easily get back to Amber with the Trump Karlsen provided. How Mint met other family has actually been referenced in other threads. So we're golden. Thanks.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next