The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

5 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 8 Empty Re: Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

Post  Fergus Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:13 pm

[OOC - Kind of why I had Fergus go to bed so we could get on with getting to the city.]
Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen) - Page 8 Empty Re: Raiders of the Temple of the Last Crusade (Aiden, Fergus, Karlsen)

Post  Aiden Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 pm

[OOC - Aye aye, Cap'n]

{OOC - Pipe down you! Fergus is supposed to be sleeping. Laughing ]
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

"Beer before liquor never been sicker. I think I will call it an early night, after all I spent the last one investigating instead of sleeping. We should try to arrive early tomorrow. Night." So saying Karlsen will pay up over at the bar and head upstairs.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:06 pm

"Go on then," says Aiden, handing Karlsen some coin to pay for his own tab.

"I'll be up in a few."

Aiden finishes his drink, then heads up to their room for a little shuteye....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:50 pm

The next day Fergus awakens to the sounds of a cock crowing outside the window of the inn and stretches to get himself up, unconsciously shifting away all the aches and pains of the previous day's ride. He carefully dresses and picks up the remainder of his stuff before checking his new look to ensure that it is still holding together after the night's rest.

After breakfast Fergus pays for his share and heads out to the stables with Karlsen and Aiden to continue the journey to Haven. Fergus approaches Thunderbolt cautiously, but today the horse seems calmer and lets him mount without issue.

The group pass another small hamlet, followed by a towering scrapyard containing metallic parts of all sorts from cogwheels to large iron girders. As they get closer to Haven they can see the smoke stacks from the factories billowing out smoke in the distance. Fergus decides to put his mask on for when they enter the city in case the festivities have started already.

"So Aiden, I'm assuming we're going to the address you have where Isobelle had a house first. Where exactly in the city is it?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Above, in the sky, vessels float by the shape of odd cigars, holding gondolas below. Along the road a few travelers nod to the three Amberites. One or two headed towards Haven also wear masks.

[OOC - Isabelle's mansion is at the border of two neighborhoods, one residential but fading in glory, the other one of the lesser docking areas.]
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Watching the floating dirigibles overhead with some interest, Aiden replies, "Her house is in the Garden District, just outside the Old Port. I have directions. It shouldn't be difficult to find once we're within the city."

"I've never been in any of the cities of Nexus before. Do you think it reasonable that we should find stables within a large city such as this? Or would it be wise to find accomodations outside the city and hire a local conveyance?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm

"I'm not that conversant with the city as I've not been here really, having been imprisoned. However I suspect that although horses are not common here in the city, they are still used sometimes by the people from the country and there must be stabling facilities here somewhere."

Fergus decides to stop and traveller heading towards the city and ask.

"Excuse me good Sir, but my companion here was wondering where we might find stables for our beasts of burdens. Do you perhaps know where we might find such a facility in Haven?"

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:55 pm

"Um, sure. Try around Octagon Park. That's maybe a mile or so past the city limits. Just look for signs."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 pm

"Many thanks Sir." Fergus replies to the kind gentleman.

He then turns to Aiden.

"It seems like we can ride right into the city and ensure that our horses have suitable accomodation. Once we've done you can show us the house Aiden."

Fergus leans down and pats Thunderbolt on the side of the neck and mentally communicates with the horse, whilst staring at the various masks of the people heading past into the city.

See we'll find you somewhere nice to rest up.

The variety and styles were amazing and although he'd seen some of the parades on Holo-TV it was something else to see them close up. Holo-TV did not do justice to the depth and colours of the participants involved.

They headed into the city and Fergus follows the signs to Octagon Park. Once there he asks again for directions.

"Excuse me Madam. Is there a stables of good reputation around here?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:23 pm

"Looks like a festival is brewing," says Aiden to his comrades. "Don't s'pose you remember which one."

Then tapping Fergus' shoulder, he says, "Over there...the other side of that cobblestone courtyard. I think that's what we're lookin' for."

Aiden directs his mount toward the stables...

Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:27 pm

"I'm sorry to trouble you Madam, it seems my Cousin has already found our quarry."

Fergus leaves the woman and nudges Thunderbolt after Aiden.

"I think each city only has one festival each as far as I recall, so this would be Haven's festival. I'm sorry if that isn't much help."

Fergus asks the man the cost of stabling the horses for a week and then pays the man from the stack of coins Aiden found for him without even bothering to try and haggle.

"Be careful with Thunderbolt." He tells the stable lad. "He has a sensitive temperament."

With the horses safely stabled he turns to Aiden.

"Lead on then Cousin. I must admit that I am quite excited at the prospect of the adventure to come!"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:13 pm

"Ask a silly question," Aiden chuckles.

"Okay, if we're all ready, then." Aiden pulls a bit of parchment from his inside jacket pocket and scans the contents quickly. He then pulls a cigarette from a small silver case, lights it, and uses what remains of the burning match to ignite the bit of parchment. It burns quickly, and Aiden tosses the last ember aside.

Aiden leads the troop along a wooded path which eventually debouches into a small plaza with old shops and a couple of small restaurants. Picking a narrow street leading southeast from the plaza, he follows it along, winding through several modestly - styled neighborhoods until reaching a small salt-water canal of peridot colored water where the street abruptly ends ....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Kasen says, "Keep on. I will catch up with you in a few minutes." He then disappears briefly into the scrapyard and emerges with a small bag. He the pushes his horse a bit to catch up. He quietly works on his mask as the others lead on. The carved areas are now being filled in with small brass parts and the shape becomes more obvious that they are dragons.

(Occ - What are people dressing like? Sitll late Ren/Amber?)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:01 am

"This way," Aiden says, turning left onto a wide cobbled path running along beside the canal. The path is bordered on the canal side by a low, wrought iron railing. In many places, strands of ivy wind thickly about the black iron.

Houses of pinkish-rose to dun-colored stone with rounded corners and wide, semi-circular porches back up to the path on the left. And occasionally a semi-paved street or crooked alleyway leads back away from the water.

Here and there a few others move along the path individually or in small groups of 2 or 3. Some are in festive outfits of bright colors and gaudy patterns, most are not. A few wear carved masks representing various sorts of strange or mythological creatures and characters presumably from popular stories of fiction.

Along the canal a few sleek and brightly painted gondolas with low awnings of waving plumage can be seen ferrying romantic shadows along the water.

A little further on, as the canal winds further to the left, a high arched footbridge of iron and ivy crosses over the water and into the northeast end of the Garden District..

Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:42 am

[OOC - this world is Steampunk so people will be dressing more like Victorians than renaisance, though the lower classes will have a more clockpunk look. Karlsen's attire will look somewhat out of place, though since this is a festival he should get away with it.]

Fergus follows Aiden through the various streets noting the colour and the people. Even though this is the world he grew up in, everything is somewhat new and strange to him, actually being able to see things for himself. Aiden leads them up towards one of the houses and he points to it.

"I like the improvements to your mask Karlsen. Definitely adds something. I would have liked to paint mine but I didn't have any paint last night. It's a strange feeling wearing a mask like this, having something artificial on your face. I suppose it'll be alright for a short time but I don't know how the Kier can stand it all the time."

"So are we expecting anyone to be at home?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:55 am

(Occ - Sweet!)

As they ride into town Kalsen's cloths start to subtly change. His pants lose their looseness and become cream colored slacks tucked into high black boots. His belt slowly seems to absorb the full leather guards and become merely a large black belt, which he unbuckles and then puts on under his coat, where it becomes a black leather cummerbund over his white silk shirt. His coat now looks like a maroon overcoat of vaguely military origin and long tails in the back. The gold trim has become brass buttons and gold piping while the black has become a tasteful black stripe and edging.

As these changes occur it appears that he finishes the fashioning of the mask, guiding the horse with his knees when needed. “I also have only to paint mine, and that I will do tonight, I can get some for you also if you let me know the colors you want. It’s a shame I do not have more time. I would love to make the dragons move. If a mask is well crafted you get used to it. After a time you begin to forget that it is there for a bit till something reminds you of the mask.” When he holds it up there are two snake like dragons facing each other across the center of the forehead. Each of their four arms end in tiny claws of straight gears and each joint is a round gear. Worm gears make up the spine down to the tails which are brass chains that have been cleverly thinned and pulled to taper down to the ends which end in tiny brass clock weights. The tails curl around the eyes of the mask and the weights dangle freely from a final nail just below where the Karlsen’s pupils will be when he puts it on. The rest of the bodies are made up of assorted bits of brass to give the impression of bodies.
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:46 am

Fergus watches Karlsen's use of the pattern, once again trying to detect any non visible tell tell signs of pattern use.

"Yes I would appreciate the paints later. Purple, gold, red white and black would be the main colours that I would be looking for I think. Oh and a range of brushes as well. That's assuming we will get time and we don't get into any trouble. I'm assuming that there is no one in the house now if Isabelle is missing, but the house may be guarded and trapped."

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 am

[OOC - We're walking not riding...the horses being back at the stables in the park...unless , of course, Karlsen brought his mount along. Smile ]
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Eventually the three reach the address. Nearby are numerous once-wonderful-now-only-nice residences, like middle aged versions of former beauty queens. The architectural style looks rather like what Aiden might call Queen Anne, or Addams-family, but with interesting baroque touches.

This house is L-shaped, three stories (including a tower) and dotted with gables. Pale violet with dark gray trim. Several trees dot the front yard, and presumably the back. A wrought iron fence dotted with rough-stone pillars surrounds the property. The gate opens easily enough, showing a winding cobblestone path up to the main house. While not at all gone to seed, the garden seems less well-tended than one might hope.

A porch hugs one side of the house. Many of the windows show stained glass patterns, showing a variety of scenes. What look like angels. Various cats. Flowers. Knights in stylized armor. Butterflies.

The front door comes to a point. It has a brass knocker shaped like a smiling cat. One lifts the forepaws to knock.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 pm

(Occ - I was late in posting, so I added stuff in before we dropped off the horses, hence the 'into town' time mentioned. Of course I am walking with you all, I have taken my pouch and Blue Dragon with me.)

Karlsen whispers, "Do not stop and gawk. Now that we have seen our target let us plan what to do." Karlsen walks past the house urging the others to do the same until they are out of sight of it. (Though if they refuse to come he will stop.) He then enters a convenient bar or cafe and orders something appropriate.

"How do you want to approach this? Kick the front door down and batter everyone inside that offers resistance? Sneak in and see what we can learn before they discover us? Knock at the door and see who answers? I would suggest that less violence will probably get better results."

(Occ - Karlsen will go along with whatever plan they come up with, he just wants to know there is a plan and what the plan is.)
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 am

Fergus follows Karlsen along to the cafe and orders a tea.

"I suggest that we knock first and see if anyone is at home. If no one answers then we should probably sneak in and have a look around. From the look of the place it seems that there is no one tending it on a regular basis so I suspect that we won't find anyone living there, but we should be aware of any traps that might be placed for unwary visitors. Karlsen, perhaps you could use your lenses to detect any magical traps? If the door is locked I think I may have a way to open it without forcing it. Does that sound like a plan?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Karlsen Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:54 am

Karlsen nodds. "Sounds like a good plan to me. I would suggest that someone watch the back while we come in the front. They may try to run. Aiden?"
Karlsen
Karlsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 am

Fergus ponders Karlsen's response as he watches the carnival go-ers drift by the cafe.

"That would assume that there is anyone in there, which I doubt. The state of the house indicates it has been largely abandoned with perhaps a gardener coming once a month to tidy up the garden. From what we have been told Isabelle, the owner, is missing so I would not expect anyone there. I would expect to encounter magical traps for the unwary though. It's only when we get to the house that I was imprisoned in that I think we might want to ensure no one gets away."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

"I'm not expecting anyone to be there, no," says Aiden. "Though it is possible someone may have left us a surprise as Benjamin suggests."

"At this point, I think the direct approach is as useful as any. Benjamin, I'd like you and I to accompany me. If anyone is there, we'll simply be old friends of Isabel's who haven't kept in touch in the last few years."

"Karlsen, if you wouldn't mind. When we go up to the front door, I'd like you to hang back a bit in case we run into trouble. Maybe watching the back door wouldn't be a bad idea...if you think you can get around to the rear of the house unobserved. Whatever you prefer."

"Unless anyone has something else to offer, let's be about it."

Aiden stands and prepares to leave the cafe. He moves slowly, bringing the Pattern to mind to check for any magical residue or non-ordinary phenomena surrounding the house....

[OOC: @Karlsen: Yeah, it's a bit hard to sync up posts when we are all on different 'schedules' Smile )
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next