The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca)

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Empty Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca)

Post  David Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 am

This is a strange Shadow, called simply Grimm, where the elements don't quite seem to fit. Here two different races dwell in a peace uneasy when there is peace at all. For much of the last decade wars have broken out over and over between the different city states. Horned humanoids are the majority. The unhorned tend to congregate together. Weirdly, both visitors note how city and subculture seems to want to use a different calendar--none of which match. Architecture is a jumble. Weird varieties of styles all mixed together with something that almost succeeds in forming some of kind of rhyme or rhythm. Topography likewise seems a mishmash. Swamps bisected by desert. Glaciers dotting a huge temperate rain forest. One entire ocean made up of fresh water.

Religion is big business here. In the City of Azure Hope, a haven for the hornless, stands the beautiful Cathedral of Light. Rather than stand upon a rock hill, it emerges from it. Likewise a vast tree grows through every part of the building.

An extremely well-armed Cathedral Guard stand everywhere in residence in the Reliquery Hall, where the Three Relics are on display.

Copies of them are hawked by vendors, while representations of them can clearly be seen on shirts, hats, tiny flags. The Holy Relics that appeared--so the vendors love to repeat--in the wake of the Great Storm ten years past. Ordinary pieces of paper, it is said. Until anyone touched them, felt their icy cold which never went away. Fire did not burn them, nor even warm their surface. But any who touched them felt not only the cold, but a sense of life. Two of the relics show more-or-less ordinary Tarot cards: The Ace of Cups, emblem of pure love. The Five of Swords, which means victory tinged with malice. And then there was the third, a portrait of a beautiful young woman with red hair and eyes of different color--one purple and one gold. All three cards had the same sigil on the back--a crimson unicorn on a black field.

A steady swarm of tourists, clerics, ordinary citizens and teachers with their students swirl amid others in the main hall of the Cathedral, called the Reliquery Hall. Potted plants dot the huge room. Tables and chairs where people can order drinks and snacks make up much of one end, that opposite the lines where people can see the Relics. Today about a third of the tables are empty.

Nice spot for a rendez-vous.

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Th_269689745_Tarotclass_p0220_122_167lo Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Th_269691182_isabella3_122_165loCathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Th_269694451_l_122_964lo
Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Th_269693940_crimson_trump_back_122_37lo

David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Empty Re: Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca)

Post  Casca Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09 am

Casca arrives a day early and scopes out the temple, noting security, guards, entrances, points of egress. He is dressed as a penitent pilgrim as many of the others are. His hair is currently longer than normal, tied back in a low scalp-knot and he carries no visible weapons to arouse suspicion of the guards. He meanders the hall, gazes curiously upon the magic cards, and buys a cool drink from the vendors, but declines the offer of baked meat-filled pastries.

Too much possibility of rotten meat masked by grease and gristle.

The day of the meeting, he shows up precisely on time, dressed in a professional manner for the shadow. Hood now removed, he is conscious of the stares by both the common men, women, and children, but also of the temple's guardians. His scars often do that.

He looks for his contact.
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Empty Re: Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca)

Post  Reena Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:51 am

Flowing through the crowd Reena worked her way toward the Cathedral of Light. Not running, she wouldn't debase herself by hurrying to this mysterious meeting, but continually moving along the road. Cutting between two arguing vendors, a slight push with her hand to the back of a man to create an opening through a cluster of pilgrims, side-stepping a passed out drunk, the standard maneuvers for one working her way through the crowded market places of her homeland.

Soon she reached the entrance of the great cathedral.

Got here only a few minutes late. Better to be a little late than sitting in there twiddling my thumbs waiting. Let my contact numb his backside.

And not bad considering I had to travel through a long shadowpath to get here. Whoever is setting this up went to some trouble convincing me to come.

Entering the Reliquery Hall she casts a practiced eye over the guards and relic display at the other end of the room.

Decent setup. Might want to find out what kind of protection is in place during the nightshift. But first let's find that contact.

Reena's scanning of the lightly occupied tables was interrupted by an old lady looking to sell some suspicious looking meat pies.

"No thank you," Reena muttered. "I'm vegetarian."

Resuming her scan of the room she spots a man who must be the contact sitting alone at one of the tables. Waking up behind him she says "You don't look like the kind of a guy who would be sending a girl notes asking for a meet-up; at least not without including a bunch of roses and probably in a location less well lit and holy than this."
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am

The man who turns around and greets Reena is not handsome. Pale, with stringy dark hair, he wear long dark robes lined in black fur. He smiles at her. "Don't I? How charming of you to say so! As it happens, my lady, the reason for this meeting has much to do with the location. Even if it does require a degree of ... discretion." He rises and pulls out a chair for her, one that faces the side of the hall where the Relics are. She sees something on the table. It looks like a rock. Almost. But the wrong color and texture. Too smooth, for one thing. And transluscent. Within is what appears to be some kind of insect frozen forever.

Inside the amber.

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Woem

The woman who approaches Casca is precisely as described. Young, pretty, dark blond and with a red cloak. Hanging around her neck is a medallion--a silver unicorn on green. "You are Casca?" she says. Not at all condescending, she has that timbre in her voice that says she's used to giving orders.

Cathedral of Light (Reena and Casca) Valentinac
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Casca studies the reflection of the woman in the glass in front of him. She matches the description given.

He stands, shoulders slumped, one hand clasped over his bronze braceleted wrist. He doesn't reply for a moment, eyes taking in the woman, her demeanor, and also to see if she had been followed. "You are Valentina, I presume?"

His index finger rubs the burnished bronze, a habit he cannot seem to break.
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 pm

"Very much so." She sits down across from Casca and looks directly into his eyes. "I am alone. No one came with me, by my choice or anyone else's." Now Valentina looks around at the Hall. "Have you been here long?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 pm

"This temple, this corner, this world? Of which do you speak?" His face is neutral, with perhaps a slight smile tugging at the corners.

His crows feet at the corners of his eyes are evident; wrinkles developed in a thirty-year stint on the desert world of A'atar, leading armies across dusty plateaus in search of the elusive war-bands of Gran-Kalu, the warmaster and decimator of the Praavi people.
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 pm

"World" she says, voice low but steady. "Ever seen anything like it? I have, but only in a few places. Only they were worse. Much worse." Her eyes took in the environment, the weird architecture and the tree growing through the cathedral. "This used to be five different worlds, until something shattered them and then the pieces came together somehow to make a new place--where nothing quite fits." To experienced eyes like those of Casca, she seems upset, maybe frightened, but hiding it well behind a remarkably calm mask.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Casca nods slowly, turning and sitting down at the table across from the red-cloaked woman.

"I have. Some worse, some subtle. I have walked paths that would drive normal men mad, where the colors run like turpentine on a wet canvas. This place is, at least more solid than some."

He looks around for a moment, contemplative. "At least this place feels as if it has history, instead of confused people, strange contradictions, and violent conflicts."

His eyes focus on the end of the hall, where the cards are enshrined. "I feel that they perhaps are the reason for the solidity."

Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 am

Reena sits in the offered chair.

"Nice trinket," Reena says gesturing at the chunk of amber, "Did you pick it up from one of the hawkers here?"

While speaking she studies the man trying to take his measure.
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:22 am

"Just a keepsake," is his reply, "from long ago. My name is Prospero, incidentally." Despite what should be a sickly appearance, the middle-aged man shows no symptoms of disease. His attention seems razor-sharp, if quiet. His movements slight, but purposeful, and something about the way he moves gives a subtle impression of great vigor. He picks up the piece of amber and looks at it for a moment, then directly at her. "You are Reena, I hope. Don't want to start with a misunderstanding."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:23 am

Valentine blinks at Casca's words and glances at the other end of the Hall. "What do you mean?" She seems genuinely interested.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:54 am

"The misunderstandings will have to wait for later for I am Reena.

"Now tell me how it was you found me?"
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:42 am

Casca toys with spilled salt on the table they sit at, finger idly tracing random swirling shapes. "In my experience, these broken worlds don't last long unless there is something for them to form around, some sort of anchor to hold them in place. Sometimes it is a structure, Occasionally, a weapon of magical power or legendary virtues. Sometimes it is religious relics, like those cards. This entire structure, organization, and near worship has sprung up around them. Something makes them a focal point for these lands and these people."

He swipes his hand across the table, destroying the small curled patterns he had been inscribing in salt.

"Why that is, I have no idea."
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Valentine listens to Casca, eyes very aware and interested. "I suppose that make some sense," she says after a moment. "The truth of the matter is, however, the work I need done isn't even here. Rather there is another world, my home, where we've a genuine need for someone like you. And the payment will be excellent. Have you ever heard of a kingdom named Uberwald?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Prospero smiles at Reena and picks up his piece of amber. "Few and sad are those who travel between worlds and don't leave some mark of their passing." It might take her a moment to realize he isn't speaking the local lingo but rather Thari--the language of Amber itself. "You most certainly have left your mark, Reena, and that is why I thought you might be a perfect person with whom to share some knowledge, perhaps interest you in some questions I hope one day to answer." He removes an iron skeleton key from within his robes--a familiar-enough design for the most part. Its 'teeth' are more elaborate than most. Within the handle is a setting for a stone, into which he snaps the piece of amber. It fits perfectly.

"As far as I know," he continues, "this are but two of these keys in all creation. I would give much to know how this one came to be where I found it--on a lone island, amid ruins of what looked to be an advanced civilization, all its citizens gone. Surrounding that isle were endless seas teaming with life. Too much life. As if someone had poured all the denizens of a dozen oceans into just one."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:55 pm

David wrote:Valentine listens to Casca, eyes very aware and interested. "I suppose that make some sense," she says after a moment. "The truth of the matter is, however, the work I need done isn't even here. Rather there is another world, my home, where we've a genuine need for someone like you. And the payment will be excellent. Have you ever heard of a kingdom named Uberwald?"

"Can't say that I have. How do you walk the worlds? You don't seem as nearly scarred or battle-weary as I . Some sort of magic?"

He is suddenly more alert. Some sort of sorceress?
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 pm

"Mostly through some well-worn pathways," Valentine tells Casca. "Sometimes with the help of those who know other ways. This place has what we might as well call an opening in a specific spot. If you know where it is," she shrugs. "The problem is, there is good reason to believe my sister may be in danger. Exactly from whom is not clear, and she is precisely the sort to refuse any attempt at placing her in a more defensible environment."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:53 am

This guy seems to be much more aware of the true nature of reality compared to most shadow folk. Is he truly looking for information or just testing me? Let's string him along for a while and find out how much he knows. And by the end I should be able to walk out of here with a new ally or enemy, and that key of his. And the chunk of Amber he oh so casually likes to handle while talking with me.

"Many worlds seem to have been adjusted as if the universe was picked up, shaken, and tossed back down in a jumble; this land of Grimm is one, maybe the world you visited is another. What reason did you have for braving those denizen infested waters to poke about a ruined land?"

While listening to Prosepero's answer Reena studies his actions with the stone out of the corner of her eye.

Last edited by Reena on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just noticed there were no quotes around Reena's spoken words)
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

At Reena's words, the man calling himself Prospero nods approvingly. "An excellent simile." He pauses for a moment, his fingers tracing the amber now set into the key. The smile on his face doesn't so much fade as it flickers for a moment. "I was looking for some one. Or signs of someone," is his answer. "Have you actually had a chance to look at the relics here? "
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:28 pm

David wrote:"Mostly through some well-worn pathways," Valentine tells Casca. "Sometimes with the help of those who know other ways. This place has what we might as well call an opening in a specific spot. If you know where it is," she shrugs. "The problem is, there is good reason to believe my sister may be in danger. Exactly from whom is not clear, and she is precisely the sort to refuse any attempt at placing her in a more defensible environment."

"Will she acquiesce to a personal bodyguard, or will I have to be circumspect in my efforts? That certainly will make things more difficult. I know some hard and fast pathways out if we need to move quickly, but more often than not, there is an element of danger in using such methods."

His eyes roam the room, looking for anyone who might be showing an interest in their conversation or might stick out as odd, even amongst the strangely disparate kind of people in this world.

"Using well-worn pathways also presents foes with known places to ambush from, especially if they are like you and know of them."
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm

"My sister does not travel all that much," Valentine tells Casca, "and rarely between worlds. In fact she should be returning to Uberwald soon and it seems most likely the danger will arise once she reaches home. During her official visit to the Eternal City she of course could not refuse an escort, for then she acted on behalf of the throne. Upon her return, however, she will object to a bodyguard. Object, but I believe ultimately agree. I want to meet her en route and ensure she remains protected until the current...crisis...fades."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casca Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:18 pm

David wrote:"My sister does not travel all that much," Valentine tells Casca, "and rarely between worlds. In fact she should be returning to Uberwald soon and it seems most likely the danger will arise once she reaches home. During her official visit to the Eternal City she of course could not refuse an escort, for then she acted on behalf of the throne. Upon her return, however, she will object to a bodyguard. Object, but I believe ultimately agree. I want to meet her en route and ensure she remains protected until the current...crisis...fades."

"What forces will be used against us? Men, or supernatural creatures? Can you give me any information on their disposition, type, and capabilities? Any information will make it easier for me to do my job."
Casca
Casca

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Valentine glances slightly around before continuing to tell Casca what she knows.

"The forces that might aim at her have vast resources at their disposal, but are for the most part otherwise occupied. Also, for reasons of policy they will not wish to appear guilty of her death. Instead they will probably seek to hire or recruit some kind of assassin. I will be honest with you--the assassin they may well use include supernatural beings. That is not terribly likely, however. Primarily they would wish to be discrete. More likely, they might try to frame another for the deed. Factions within Uberwald are often violent, but not on a large scale. Our father is the King, and as such by far the wealthiest and most influential individual in the land. However, the vast majority of Uberwald remains under control of several major families. Were enough of them to unite, they might challenge his rule. Again, that seems unlikely. He is an old man, with no son. I however," here she doesn't quite blush, "have a suitor of rather more influence than some find comfortable. A foreign prince to whom I have pledged my hand. He in fact has no interest in Uberwald's throne for himself. Many do not believe that. Fortunately the feuds between the noble families insure such an alliance is virtually impossible. But at least in theory some might try to alter the balance of affairs by spurring my father into action. In fact, I believe it is rather my betrothed's enemies who might target my sister with their ire. They view her connections outside the kingdom as more threatening to their goals, and her friendship to Fernand is well known." She pauses. "They may also seek to simply kidnap her. I'm sorry, but part of the problem is Fernand's enemies. Either one might seek to harm Mircalla, but neither can expend too many resources towards that end."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:25 am

"I was looking for some one. Or signs of someone," is his answer. "Have you actually had a chance to look at the relics here?

Quick to try and change the subject, isn't he?

"Not yet but I did manage to see their likeness cast upon bits of plastic, wood, and other materials on the way here. A band of chanting monk's gathered under my room's window and serenaded me with legends of the cards."

While speaking Reena waves one of the hovering merchants over to the table and purchases a set of replicas of the cards. She deals out the three poorly printed replicas in front of Prospero.

"Rather interesting relics wouldn't you say?"
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next