The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House of Exile (Reena)

2 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

House of Exile (Reena) - Page 3 Empty Re: House of Exile (Reena)

Post  David Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 pm

"Don't see why not. Incidentally, some newly discovered cousins might be joining you before too long. Just a friendly word of warning." Bleys grins.
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Reena makes a small laugh at her uncle's comment.

"Warning? They're nothing too odd I hope."
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 pm

"Well, Mint and Triton--but there are four more since you were here last. Odds are you'll be meeting at least two very soon. Like within a day. Until then, relax!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm

"I can do that. Being seeing you when I'm next in Amber, Uncle."

He didn't want to explain why he laughed when he mentioned the new arrivals. Did he seem to be looking forward to getting them out of the castle and hoisting them on me?
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:01 pm

The image of her uncle fades.

All around Reena stands the city Fjordheim. Her area seems slightly upscale. On the other hand it takes several moments' study to discern which is the 'native' costume as opposed to anything else. Clearly, a major port with the resulting large numbers of foreign visitors (present company included). Local garb tends to be excellent material in mono-tones, usually to complement one another. Air chilly enough to justify cloaks and gloves. Individual pieces of jewelry rather than elaborate collections of same.

Visitors wear an eclectic mix of other styles. One party of men and women heading into a tavern look for all the world like Klingons! Others resemble Vikings, but wearing all pastels. Another tall skinny fellow wanders up and down the street in a local cloak while sporting a monocle!
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Interesting place but too damn cold! Looks prosperous so a thief could make a good living in these parts.

Reena takes a careful look at all the people in the street memorising the faces she sees. Fernand let me go easy enough. Probably has someone following me or has informants in useful locations throughout the city.

Continuing on her way she looks for a prosperous and warm inn.
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Sure enough, several nice taverns lie nearby. Closest, and most inviting, is The King's Hand. Inside, there's two fireplaces, one on each side of the common room.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Reena enters the inn, goes to the bar and orders a glass of mulled wine. Looking around the room she checks out the people sitting around the fireplaces. Hoping to find one that is favoured by people in the local garb.

Before heading over there she takes time to speak with the bartender.

"Foreign silver I'm afraid, I just arrived in this city. If that is a problem we can work out another method of payment for this wine."

Standard operating procedure: chat up the locals and see what way the winds blow in this land. From there decide on a course of action. I could be stuck here a few days. I'd rather be heading back to Grimm to steal those cards, or to Amber to question Dworkin on that Prospero guy. Should be time for that later. I hope. Unless the tediousness of meeting wierdo cousins from deep shadow takes up my next few years.
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:49 pm

The bartender takes this in his stride. Foreign coins are no stranger to him!

Next to one of the fires is an elderly woman in the green and white robes of a Holy Sister of the Unicorn. She's sipping a mug of something warm, enjoying the argument between two young men beside her. They resemble one another, the younger handsome with brown hair and the older thinner with stringy black locks.

"Show me a unicorn, then I'll believe they exist," says the younger, handsome one.

"You're planning a trip to Visaria. You've never been there. How do you know it exists?"

"That's different!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Easygoing with foreign coin around here. Could be handy when dealing in contraband. Should let Aiden know about this place. Then again he was the one who was talking about Uberwald when we were in Amber. He might already be working this shadow.

"Lots of talk about a unicorn sighting today," Reena says to the barkeep, "I take it that this is not a common occurrence?"
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 pm

The bartender nods vigorously. "Happens once a century, if that! The grove of course is always there, and every year a dozen or more people bath in its waters and are cured. Ever been there? Couple of trees have what must be hundreds of crutches and canes and things hanging from the trees. But when someone actually sees the Unicorn--not one person, neither, but more than one so they know its a true sighting--a rare thing indeed. An omen, some say. For good or ill."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 am

"It seems as if I arrived here just a few hours to late to see the Unicorn for myself. Now I'll have to wait a century before another chance arrives.

"You say 'for good or ill' is their a chance of war or plague resulting from the sighting? I would hate to find out that something so wondrous and rare would be used as an excuse for killing."
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 pm

The barkeep snorts. "With some, anything is an excuse for killing. Not too many of those types here, though. Fact is, right now anything that happens will be put down to someone sighting the unicorn. As for why she actually showed up--they're still arguing about all the previous sightings, why stop now?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Reena laughs at his reply. "Philosophers will spend centuries arguing about anything just to have their voices heard. And us regular folk need something to discuss on these dark, cold evenings.

"Speaking of cold I will take a seat by the fire for a few moments. Send over another glass of the mulled wine, would you?"

Sitting down she looks over at the Sister of the Unicorn. That cult infests this land, doesn't it? A person can't take more than a few steps without tripping over one of these 'sisters' If they have political connections to match their numbers among the common folk they could be a useful ally. Maybe a future meeting with the head of the order might prove advisable. Plant a few of my people in their organisation to keep it under control...

Reena spends a few minutes in contemplation about infiltrating the Holy Sisters of the Unicorn until the barkeep arrives with a fresh glass of wine. Meeting the eyes of the priestess she nods to her and raises the glass in a small salute.

"To the Unicorn, may she always return to bless the people of Uberwald"
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 pm

The Sister in question raises her own glass and nods in greeting. "I should certainly hope so," she says. "I am Sister Nadia, and from your accent I take it you are new to Uberwald?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 pm

"Reena. I'm from a number of places, some graced by the Unicorn, others far beyond her gaze.

"I imagine that now begins weeks of hard work for your order; histories to be written, celebrations to be planned, dignitaries to be toured around the location of the sighting and through your convents?"
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:38 pm

"Somewhat," says Sister Nadia. "Witnesses need to be interviewed, most like. Interpretation? Mostly we'll be telling people not to interpret the event--especially the Electors. Fact is, King Nicolai is a fine man but an elderly one. Far too many noble houses chomp at the bit and will seize almost any opportunity to improve their position against The Inevitable Day." She sighs. "And we're in the thick of it. Our Order are the chroniclers of the crown as well as maintaining the archives, bookkeeping, dozens of little duties to allow the realm to function. Me, I believe the meaning of it all will sort itself out, for each us as well as for the world."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 pm

"Interesting, I didn't realise your order had political duties as well as the spiritual. Your archives of this land must be the finest record of the history of Uberwald. Do you give tours of your collection, or allow visitors to view your archives and artefacts? I am somewhat of a historian and archaeologist myself, just for my own interest sake more than as a tenured academic, but I find the Unicorn interesting and would be interested in learning of your order and of the other realms she manifests herself."

Try to invite myself in and learn more of this cult. See if it's roots extend back to Amber.
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:00 am

"There's a circulating library," she replies "and you'd be most welcome to visit! In fact, the convent of the grove is quite nearby, with the library attached."

Outside, in the city streets, some shouting voices are muffled by door and wall. A few heads turn in that direction.

"Will you be staying long in Fjordheim, Reena?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reena Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:08 am

"I will be here for a short while taking care of some family business. Once that is complete I will be free to move on or stay if I wish. I would like to look into your library so I imagine that I'll be in the city for some time.

"Some more rinks for you and your companions?"

Reena gestures to the bartender and buys another round of drinks for herself, Nadia, and her companions.

"What is the cause of the noise from outside? A parade to celebrate the Unicorn?"
Reena
Reena

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm

"I've no idea..." says the Holy Sister. She looks to the front door.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3