The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Mission, If You Choose To Accept It (Mint & Aiden)

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your Mission, If You Choose To Accept It (Mint & Aiden) - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Mission, If You Choose To Accept It (Mint & Aiden)

Post  Mint Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Isn't it obvious?

"Yes, it seems entirely likely that Isabel with her ginger locks and purple and gold eyes gave birth to this Fergus, who I have yet to meet. And if she did not it seems a near certainty that they have a kinship. The fact that the Kier possess a Trump of Isabel also seems peculiar. It would not surprise me if their mother or grandfather had some links to Isabel's family. Has anyone gotten the names of either of those august personages from the twins? I think that we also need to examine the possibility of any other kinship links between our families starting with every member of my generation who has an unknown parent. We may as well start with me. Aunt Fi, Uncle Bleys, do either of you know my mother?"

I can't believe I said that. I don't know why I never asked before. No. I know. Dad had reasons for not wanting me to know. I could tell. And after he died I never wanted to try to replace him. And I was scared. Dad went crazy. As long as I didn't know mom, she could be who I needed her to be. But I'm an adult now damn it. I shouldn't be afraid of the truth. I'm not afraid. Well, not very afraid.

Mint bites her lip and waits for answers to her questions.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Your Mission, If You Choose To Accept It (Mint & Aiden) - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Mission, If You Choose To Accept It (Mint & Aiden)

Post  Mint Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Wow these shoes are really uncomfortable on land where they have to take all of my weight. I wasn't expecting to have to stand around in them without the buoyancy of water. Not to mention that the underwire structure that causes the dress to maintain shape underwater is more than a little awkward without the water. Does it make my breasts look weird? Why did I waste so much time getting ready for a party I'm never going to get to. Plus now I have to send my regrets to Prince Llyr. I didn't want to miss your party. Pirates! Uncles! What could I do? Here, have a cheap present. I think I can avoid giving enough offense to start a war. Barely. The next time I get invited to a party I will write up my regrets before I get dressed. That seems more efficient. All work and no play... is the story of my life.

Mint sighs.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Bleys and Fiona look at one another. "Honestly, no," says Fiona.

"Brand said something about meeting this amazing sorceress," says Bleys, "in the midst of a duel, no less, but then avoided the subject whenever I tried to raise it again. Then, almost a year later, he showed up with news about having a child. You. I asked about the mother, but he went silent and changed the subject. Not the way he usually did. This honestly came across as abrupt, even crude--at least by his standards."

"I always assumed," adds Fiona, "from his reaction that your mother died. As time went on, I did wonder if what he said was true, or was that merely what he wanted us to believe." She gives a tiny shrug as if to indicate an (as yet) unsolved puzzle.

"But if these new Trumps," Vialle says, "are showing up all over Shadow, it seems less important that the Kier have one. I should think the second group of strange Trumps they possess--the ones with a different white unicorn--are the more important clue. Especially since one of these also shows a portrait of this Isabel, and one seemingly rather intimate. As I recall, these other white unicorn Trumps lead to Bergma, to Uberwald, to a deserted submarine station of some kind, then to the family's hunting lodge and to Nexus--the very Shadow from which Benedict and Gerard rescued Fergus."

Random nods, "Which if anything hints someone in our family, someone with an ability to create Trumps, was or is involved with this Isabel. A man, presumably. One who is very likely the father of Fergus with this Isabel."

"A viable theory," says Benedict. "But nothing more than that. So far."
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 pm

They don't know. I don't know if I'm more troubled or more relieved. Time for that later.

"True, but this is the time for theories... impressions and theories. My turn. Impressions first."

Impressions and theories? That's what I like about reporting to Julian. He just lets me file my reports and asks follow up questions. I find that so much easier.

Mint's posture straightens.

"Triton seems to me far more competent than her prefers to portray himself. It would really surprise me if he could not tell the difference between sensing true and broken Pattern."

"I feel as if I have come across far too much information far too easily. It seems as if someone or something has helped me to find so much. I have far too many guesses as to who or why."

"Josette seems a bit annoying, but definitely someone who we could work with if she comes to power. She values secrecy highly, but seems to place it a distant third behind self interest and her people not necessarily in that order. I believe that she will answer the rest of my questions honestly if I can complete her task and that doing so will benefit both our people."

"It feels to me as if these seemingly small disturbances in shadow portend something more ominous. I do not trust them especially since they occur just now."

"Another war amongst Pattern wielders seems exceptionally dangerous to me and worth averting if we can. Even if we stay out of the main conflict the collateral damage could rival that of the Great War."

"Sister Mircalla seems pivotal to me. She knows more than she says and quite possibly far more than even she thinks she knows."

"I think the twins would both benefit if they spent some time apart from one another. Each reinforces the worst habits of the other."

"The flowers I received would also mean far less with different timing. It would comfort me to know that you sent them Aunt Fi if you did."

"It bothers me that the Hall of Mirrors would make an appearance to redirect Cousin Aiden at this time and give him this vision. Surely it must portend something more than it seems."

"It would deeply surprise me if" father "Prince Brand did not know of this other branch of the family. His ability to ferret out hidden truths remains unmatched. I know that he visited Nexus. Those Trumps do not look like" [i[]my father's[/i] Prince Brand's hand, but he could paint in a surprising variety of styles and those Trumps fall within his range if he had wanted to conceal his involvement for some reason."

"I can't believe that Commander Julian would have come by my quarters to look for me and left without leaving any sort of message. Knowing when he was seen would help as well."

"Something serious provoked this gathering. Not knowing the inciting incident feels like missing an important piece of the puzzle."

"Because of a Trump reading I did, I can't help but feel that True Love is central to this whole puzzle. Whose love I don't know, though in this I would start with Prince Llyr and Sister Mircalla."

"As to theories I have a few."

"I cannot rule out the possibility of a hoax. Everything I have so far encountered might happen with the collaboration of a Pattern master and a Trump Artist. It feels wrong, but I cannot yet exclude it."

"Oberon might well have taken a second family and raised them in seclusion and separate from the first. He might even have given them a unique Pattern or repaired a broken one."

"Some unknown party or parties seem to have limited the amount of information available directly to those of the Family who were alive and known toward the end of the Great War. Someone, perhaps Oberon, may have manipulated destiny to keep the hidden family secret. Conversely some of us who have come to light since seem to trip over such information quite readily. That suggests that the effect is a legacy of the war or earlier."

"Josette's issues with Isabel seem to closely parallel Eric's history with Corwin. I feel hesitant to read to much into it, but it warrants investigation. Any parallels we find may give us an edge."

"More speculation than theory, but I don't think we can rule out the possibility of a second Amber, even if they call it something else. The existence of Corwin's Pattern proves that more that one distinct and truly separate Pattern can exist. Oberon might have made more than one."

There. Now they can pick my ideas apart. They certainly have plenty of holes.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Clearing his throat, Aiden asks, "Uncle Benedict. You said the you and Gerard rescued Fergus from Nexus. Do you mean that literally? Was he in some kind of danger there? I'm wondering if the circumstances of his rescue might offer any clues."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Fiona sighs. "I sent you no flowers. Sorry." She looks at Bleys, who also shakes his head.

"Fergus," says Benedict, "was imprisoned by a powerful religious faction on Nexus at a very early age. He seems to fulfill a prophecy they have there about someone with eyes like his own, one that says he may cause untold devastation but that things will be even worse were he not to die a natural death. So they raised him in captivity, and not being barbarians, allowed him education and good health care. Nexus is a place many of us visited off and on between Corwin's presumed death and Dad vanishing the way he did. When I went back that about a year ago, there were rumors I decided to track down. These led me to finding out about Fergus and certain clues which indicated he was of Oberon's blood--not least his far-more-than-normal strength and healing abilities. Gerard and I rescued him a few weeks ago."

"He's been acclimating himself to Amber, a little slowly, but Winnow was helping him," added Vialle. "A little reluctantly, I fear."

Bleys speaks up, "For what it is worth, I suspect Mint is correct about the sheer number of coincidences popping up. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone somewhere wants the secret of this Crimson Unicorn family revealed. The real question is--why?"

Random nods. "Agreed. As for your suggestions and ideas, Mint--Julian was seen near your quarters early afternoon. Then he went to the Pattern room. From what some parlor maids reported, that must have been half an hour or so before you returned there. No offense, but while it is possible Brand knew something about this other family, we don't really have any evidence one way or another. As for a second Pattern..." He looks at Bleys and Fiona.

"Possible," is Fiona's answer. "In all sorts of ways, actually. For all we know our Father wrote a second Pattern somewhere. Or maybe the Pattern we know is the second one ever created. Or it could be not a shadow but an actual echo of our own Pattern--like that of Rebma. Repairing a broken Pattern isn't really something I've considered before, but I cannot rule it out."

"The important factor, strategically, is that these individuals have access to the Golden Circle," says Benedict. "Shadows of Amber exist, surrounded by a clusters of their own Shadows, but those versions of us cannot go beyond their group. That is what makes a war between them potentially such a serious threat, especially since we lack much information about their goals."

Random thinks for a few moments. "Mint, Aiden--what were your respective ideas about moving forward? Especially yourselves."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Fiona didn't send the flowers. Damn! Damn! Damn! Don't panic! Don't Panic. Don't panic! Think of something else.

Mint closes her eyes momentarily to try to hide the fear in them.

I have orders from His Royal Highness, King Random the FIrst. Thank you. Something else to think about.

"First, check my quarters for any sort of message from Commander Julian. I may also ask Cousin Aiden's opinion of the flowers."

"Second, if time permits attend this evening's gathering in Rebma. I do recall that these affairs tend to continue to all hours. I would hope while there to speak with Winnow, Fergus, one of the Kier, preferable Kierenne, Prince Alexander, and of course Prince Llyr."

"Third or fourth, depending on timing. Trump Triton and rejoin him on his journey in order to have Sister Mircalla introduce me to Fernand."

"As the alternate third option, make a quick trip to Iv."

"Fifth, pursue all available leads on the disposition and fate of Isabel, coordinating this with cousin Aiden and Prince Triton as need and opportunity dictate."

"Sixth, if possible deliver proof of Josette's innocence to Fernand and redeem the answers that Josette has promised."

"In my copious free time I will of course write up a comprehensive report. Should I forward the report to Commander Diana, your majesty, or would you prefer to keep information on these matters within the family?"

I would, but you're the boss, you majesty.

"I also feel that I could use an education on the art of investigation if any of you might suggest a trustworthy tutor who could accompany me for a time. I know a bit more about such matters than the average soldier, but far less than these circumstances seem to require."

"Also I intend to continue trying to Trump cousin Reena every day or two until she answers or these matters resolve themselves."

"I suspect that by the time I complete this list that other tasks will suggest themselves. They always seem to. I don't feel that I know enough about these matters or investigations in general to profitably suggest what others do."

Last edited by Mint on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot something important.)
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Aiden nods contemplatively as Benedict recounts the rescue of Fergus.
And then addressing Random, "Well, first, I'd still like to head to Nexus to check out Isabel's last known address. It might be nothing, then again there may be some clues as to her whereabouts hidden there. What I do following that will depend on what I find or fail to find. I'll keep in touch with Mint as we may each come upon clues that are necessary for the other. I'm also curious, now, about this odd religious faction on Nexus, about there origins and practices. For instance, did they form as result of something Fergus' mother may have caused in the past ..or..what? I might do a little digging there. And that brings up a question for me, although it may be common knowledge to everyone else, but.."

Aiden turns back to Benedict, although the question is addressed to the room. "What initially made Nexus a spot for the Family to hang out? What was it that drew our attention to that particular Shadow? And who was it that first found the place and/or mentioned it to the rest of the family? "
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Benedict looks at Bleys. "It was Caine, wasn't it?"

Bleys nods. "Him and Eric. The place resembles your birthplace, Aiden, but with a more baroque style. Airships instead of airplane for example. Lots of cities in Nexus have elaborate festivals, complete with masked balls and parades and fireworks displays. Sports and gambling are common. Dozens of different cuisines. Little or no magic. Political stability. High standard of living and few natural disasters. Religion fairly pervasive but nothing too extreme, most of the time. To my certain knowledge nearly all of us visited the place at one time or another--except Corwin and Lewella."

Random speaks. "The more I think on it, the more I see several different lines of inquiry that need our attention. One is Nexus, not only to investigate this Isabel but also to find out any connection between herself and Fergus. Frankly, one of the most disturbing details about that is Benedict and Gerard's rescue of him. Why didn't she? Or failing that, why didn't his father?"

"Related, but not quite the same is the business of this entire Crimson Unicorn family. The Nexus mystery probably goes hand in hand--but in this case from all you've said a major venue lies in Uberwald where this Fernand person can evidently be found. Sister Mircalla you say knows him? Well, finding out more about and through him is a high priority, as is learning what we can about Josette--including what kind of forces they have at their disposal and what their overall agendas might be."

"Then there are the Kier. I'm not opposed to the idea of coincidence, but I am suspicious of it. They show up at precisely this time, with not one but two sets of strange Trumps? Two of whom show this very Princess Isabel? That they likewise say their home Shadow was destroyed could be a bad sign as well. There's a lot we don't know yet about the Kier twins--including where they true loyalties lie."

"My impression," offers Vialle, "is that they themselves don't really know the answer to that question."

"Then we have to give them some kind of test," says Benedict, "one where the truth becomes manifest by their actions."

"Agreed," says Random.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:35 am

This won't end well. Benedict is, well, Benedict and His Royal Highness King Random the First is my liege, but do either of them remember what it was like to be a teenager? Not to mention that the Kier haven't really had much of an opportunity to mature in anything like a healthy environment. Plus unless they lied about it, pretty much everyone they ever knew died recently which means they're probably still in some kind of shock. And of course each reinforces the worst habits of the other. Add on however much misinformation they have about Amber and you have a major recipe for instability. I hate to think that Benedict even can make a mistake, but it sure seems like that to me. Give those two a few years to grow and recover and maybe testing them could work. But right now?

The skepticism on her face barely concealed out of respect more than any delusion that she can fool her uncles, Mint asks, "What sort of test do you have in mind?"

Please at least say that I don't have to go to the same Shadow as this twenty carriage crash.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Dad, huh, and Eric? Might be worth asking him. He might remember something about what turned him on to the place...maybe something that Oberon said. Be nice to catch up too. We haven't seen each other for awhile.

To Bleys and Benedict, "Speaking of dad, where is he anyway? Is he still at sea with the fleet or....?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 pm

When Prince Caine is mentioned, Mint subtly shifts her weight to a slightly more defensive posture.

Aiden asks good questions. Always worth keeping an eye on Caine when things start to go weird. That man thinks around corners and shows up where you least expect him. We're not enemies thank goodness, but I have never gotten along with Prince Caine. I think the wound of losing dad is just too raw.

Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:05 pm

"Caine is with Gerard and Flora in Rebma this evening," says Fiona. "At Crown Prince Llyr's birthday party, for which some of us are already late."

Random nods. "Mint, will you take Aiden to get dressed? Then the two of you should Trump to Rebma--via Flora, I think. I'll tell you right now I'm going to want to send some folks to Nexus and to Uberwald soon. Possibly very, very soon. I'd appreciate you two to get a sense of the cousins you haven't met yet, because that will impact who is going where. Meanwhile, we have some people to contact." He gives a meaningful look to Benedict, Bleys and Fiona.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:12 pm

"Yes, your majesty."

Mint once again quickly but carefully kneels and bows, a tricky maneuver in this dress. Then she stands and wheels in place heading over to cousin Aiden. She offers him her arm.

"Shall we?" Mint asks, while her posture and direction makes clear her intention to depart posthaste.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:13 pm

"That's sounds good to me," says Aiden. "I would like to meet the new cousins. Might give me some more ideas. "

Turning to Mint and locking his arm in hers, he says smiling, "Yes, I believe we shall." And as they begin to depart he raises a quizzical eyebrow, "Flowers, you say? They weren't crimson roses by chance?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:56 pm

One out of earshot of the Aunt and Uncles, Mint responds, "Clockwork Daisy actually. Unique to Iv as far as I know. Quite beautiful, but not a spot of red."

Mint escorts Aiden as far a the door to his room.

"Meet me at my room as soon as you've dressed and I'll show you the flower before we Trump out."

A smile creeps into Mint's voice.

"If any wayward architecture tries to stop you, Trump me."

Mint dashes down the hall and disappears into her own room.

Speed and efficiency will make this happen. Am I paranoid if I suspect that something or someone has acted to keep us from this party?

Min brushes her teeth and tongue... twice. Then she uses the lavatory, checks her makeup and hair, and stows her extraneous gear.

If I were Julian, where would I...?

Mint does a quick, but thoughtful check of the room for anywhere Julian might have left a message. She does not touch the flowers or their vase, yet.

Did Julian leave you little Daisies? I never told him enough to find Iv, but if the greatest tracker in existence set out to follow my back trail, he might well have done. Once Aiden gets here I will check the vase more thoroughly for messages other than the obvious. Go to Iv.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Aiden shrugs in mock helplessness, "Is it my fault the universe needs my help?"

"See ya in two shakes," he says over his shoulder as he turns and heads for his room. Once there, Aiden throws his hat on the bed and heads to the bathroom for a quick shower. Afterwards he searches the closet for a bit to find something a bit more festive than his previous garments.

He pulls from the closet a long, flowy, silk shirt of deep green, slacks with a silvery-black sheen, dark brown suede vest, a pair of dress boots, and a wide concho belt with silver and turquoise.

After dressing, he stops at the sideboard to pour a tumbler of Glenfiddich and roll a few cigarettes, smoking one as he slides the rest into a small silver case. He also pours a small bit of Scotch into a silver flask and slides it into one of the pockets inside his vest.

Pausing momentarily in front of an ornate glass weapons case, he selects an antique sabre with a guard of silver filigree and attaches sword and scabbard to his belt. And then takes a deep brown fedora from the rack by the door.

Aiden takes a last look around to see if he has forgotten anything..
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Mint continues to search.

What is taking Aiden so long? Do I need to go and rescue him? Or dress him?

OOC:Does Mint find anything out of place or even any sign of Julian's passage?
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Mint's room is precisely as it should be, save for the black and white vase containing those flowers. The vase contains a little fresh water, nothing odd about that. The daisies themselves look relatively fresh, cut with what looks like a sharp knife.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Everything appearing to be in order, Aiden exits his suite and heads down the hall toward Mint's room, keeping an eye out for any 'wayward architecture'....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Should I try to Trump Reena again? No. If I do that I will never make it to the party. Still, I worry about her.

Mint hears footsteps in the hall and opens her door.

"Aiden, nice outfit. Please come in."

Mint has stowed her gear and has her Trump deck in hand. Clearly visible on Mint's desk sits a simple clay vase. Three hands in height, glazed to a pattern of black and white. Within the vase rises a flower the petals are white, fanning out from the center. Little dark patterns mark the edges all the way around, resembling at first glance the face of a timepiece.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm

"Aw, thanks. Sorry it took so long. Had to make myself pretty, " Aiden responds with a half-smile.
Looking around he catches a glimpse of the flower vase. " So, this is the 'dreaded daisy'," he says. Looking more closely at it he adds, "I rather like it. It's like something Alice might have found in Wonderland. "

I wonder what it symbolizes? Time? Hopefully not something macabre like "running out of.."

Adjusting his hat, Aiden says, "Welp, I'm ready when you are."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm

"To the best of my knowledge this flower only grows in one place, Iv, the Shadow where I grew up. My father made that place quite difficult to find. In point of fact I only know two living people other than myself who know how to find it, Bleys and Fiona, neither of whom left this blossom. I can assume that my mother might have known, but I have no idea who she is. I also suspect that who or what ever chased me through Shadow for a year might know."

Mint shudders.

"Unless you know some way to tell who might have left them, we might as well leave now."

Mint shuffles out Flora's Trump, but waits for Aiden's response before activating it.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:50 am

"mmmmm," Aiden slowly shakes his head.

"It should be possible to examine the vase by calling the Pattern to mind to look for any personal or magical residues and the like. Unfortunately, I don't yet possess the skill for such things and, in any event, it would take some time...more than we have right now. You might ask Fiona about it later. She likes mysteries. We can go if you like. "

And then, "Chased you through Shadow? You'll have to tell about it sometime. "
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 am

He doesn't possess the skill? Perhaps I have overestimated my good cousin's abilities.

"Not much to tell. I never managed to get a clear look at them. I saw a cloaked figure at great distance once who I think might have been the one, but I couldn't even tell gender through that storm. I only caught the glimpse from a well timed lightning flash. It started near Iv and ended when I reached the Golden Circle. It mostly took the form of coincidences at first then escalated. I met strangers subverted to attack me, fought monsters not local to my current shadow, and generally had to watch my back at all times. I still have no clue as to who did it or why."

Mint shrugs.

"Ancient history, well five years ago anyway."

Mint focuses on Florimel's Trump, holding it in her left hand along with her Trump Deck. She stands so that the Vase of Daisies will appear clearly visible to Florimel behind her, but Aiden will remain unseen at first.

Aunt Flora, you always intimidate me a bit. Your perfect poise and flawless beauty leaves me conscious of my shortcomings. I admire you and envy you all at once and you wouldn't have it any other way. I'm more than fashionably late, but please answer so that I can finally get to this party.

Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next