The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

5 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) Empty On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  David Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:49 pm

The Hippogriff is a fine vessel, easily capable of carrying large cargoes and defending same against any reasonable horde of pirates. As it happens, the current cargo was physically small but more valuable than most: Sister Mircalla, Princess of Uberwald, envoy of her father to the Eternal City and now en route home. With her, a small entourage of officials and a few personal servants. Accompanying her, Prince Triton of Rebma and six personal bodyguards his mother foisted upon him for his protection. They'll obey his orders, but only so long as in their captain's opinion such do not violate their primary command--keep Triton alive and relatively unscathed.

Fully half the crew hail from Rebma, a fact that offers some advantages. As it happens, the Hippogriff's skipper is one such. His name, Olwyn. A jolly but shrewd fellow who employs and excellent cook skilled in making even simple foods into visual 'shows.' One suspects Captain Olwyn has ferried important passengers before now.

He certainly knows his craft. In a mere three and a half days he's made more progress than Triton's ever known in the journey to Gont. It is as he's been at sea nearly a week, at least in terms of sea leagues crossed! Within another day or two at most, they should arrive at their destination. With the excuse of Sister Mircalla wishing to get home, the ship hadn't even made any stops along the way.

Last edited by David on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) Empty Re: On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  Triton Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Triton enjoys his time on the ship. As he races towards adventure with the sea spray in his face almost bringing along the comforts of home. He uses his time to get to know Sister Mircalla better. He is perplexed by this woman and her vows. If she really does love his brother, why not break her vows and be together? Triton's own carefree life has often made it difficult for him to understand the weight and pressure people put on themselves with life vows.

Triton sends his body guards off so that he can have some privacy when he speaks to Mircalla.

"So, tell me about my brother? Why is he so protective of you?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) Empty Re: On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  David Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Sister Mircalla gives him a look, one that (very) subtly suggests a deficiency on Triton's part.

"He cares for me," she says simply. "From what he has said, more than he has any other. Which is a very great honor. And of course he recognizes just how ruthless royal politics can be in my homeland, but not the nuance that protects me. The Holy Sisters of the Unicorn have been sacrosanct in Uberwald for centuries. Were one of us to even become the victim of a pickpocket would be shocking. I'm not saying we've never been the target of violence, but it is exceedingly rare." She suddenly gives a little giggle. "I confess it a little wicked of me, but I suddenly thought what it might be like for you to meet my sister."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 am

"Well it's nice to hear that you should be relatively safe in your homeland. And I agree, my brother cares for you very much. Although perhaps care isn't a strong enough a word. I find myself wondering how you feel about him?" Triton says, giving him some time to answer before continuing.

"Now as for your sister, that sounds intriguing. Why would our meeting be entertaining? Do you mean a sibling or a Sister?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:44 am

"I do...care...for your brother," Sister Mircalla admits after a few moments' silence. "He has grown quite dear to me. But my vows--I did not take them lightly. Nor quickly. They are not easily discarded, not as a matter of law nor within my own heart." With a deep breath, she seeks to change the mood. "And Valentine is my father's daughter. She has no such religious calling, although in her own way quite devout. Between the two of us she is generally considered the more attractive." There a hint of a teasing humor in her eye as she says the last.

Since they are no longer underwater, Sister Mircalla now wears the formal but comfortable green-and-white robes of a Holy Sister. Some orders cocoon their members, even to the point of wearing veils. Hers looks much more practical, but still impressive. Only her hands and face are visible, but the headpiece barely reaches her waist instead of becoming a cape. Likewise the sleeves are practical rather than voluminous.

A working order then, rather than a contemplative one. And clearly not very cloistered.

Triton recalls what Llyr had told him about Uberwald, that its Kings were chosen by the nobles, without any laws of primogeniture or inheritance. King Nikolai is old enough for the vultures to have started swarming. Civil wars are anything but uncommon in that land. Fortunately they nearly always remained small-scale and relatively short.

Nearly always.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Triton shakes his head, "It seems that life has thrown you a curve ball with my brother. Hopefully you will both find a way to get what you want. As for your sister, I think perhaps you are being too modest. I am sure she would be hard pressed to match your beauty," Triton finishes with a bow and kiss of her hand.

Triton, as is his way, is dressed extremely comfortably. He is wearing an open vest, black pants and no shoes. Wound upon his wrist, as always, is the long string of black pearls.

"So tell me what I should expect in your land? Will we be arriving during a conflict to place another on the crown?
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm

"No need," is her answer. "Everyone knows my father cannot live forever. The Electors then meet and decide who among themselves should wear the crown until then. My sister and I retain our titles, but of course cannot pass them on. On the other hand, my father is only old, not dying. A crisis is building, but what form it ultimately takes remains to be seen." She hesitates for a moment. "There's one problem, an unusual one. Valentine, you see, has a paramour and it is very likely they will wed. Eventually. He is a foreign prince of considerable power and influence, staying in Uberwald periodically for some years. Others--his rivals--may be interfering in events to make trouble for him. Fernand, you see, would never abandon Valentine. Nor will she simply abandon either Uberwald nor our father. The potential for mischief has escalated."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:33 pm

"So, the good news is that you and your sister shouldn't be targeted in any aggression. The bad news is that the quest for the throne might be causing other problems. Now, this paramour, is this the same sister that you wanted me to meet? I try not to entangle myself with involved women, if I can help it. It's not a deal breaker however," Triton winks.

He ponders for a moment before continuing.

"So, is this Valentine a good man? Are you hoping he gets to rule your kingdom?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Now Sister Mircalla giggles. "Valentine is my sister. Fernand her paramour--and, in my opinion, a very good man. But a troubled one."

Before she can say anything more, a voice bellows from the mast high above. "PIRATES!"

Instantly, the crew start moving. Some in response to the captain's orders. Others in response to drills the ship has gone through time and again. Mostly it is a matter of getting as much sail up as possible to (hopefully) out-run anyone else.

Triton and Mircalla look in the direction the lookout pointed. Sure enough, there's vessel on the horizon, clearly tacking against the wind and headed in their direction. The captain approaches Triton and hands him a spyglass. "Thought you might want to see."

Through the spyglass he sees the ship certainly has all sails out. The crew look well-armed to say the least. And the flag seems to leave little doubt:

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) Pirate10
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Triton can't help but laugh at his mistake, "Ah, sorry. You'll have to forgive me, I was distracted by your beauty," he tries as an excuse.

Then, he turns as the captain announces the pirates. Accepting the spy glass, Triton looks the ship over, examining the flag. Turning back towards the Captain, "Well Captain, it looks we might be in for a bit of fun. Do you recognize that flag? I would hate for something bad to befall that ship should they be someone we know," Triton smiles.

He then starts thinking about the Pattern and of shadow. Slowly he gathers the forces necessary to bring forth a storm strong enough to stop their pursuer and perhaps send them to the bottom of the sea.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:32 am

"I recognize the flag, alright," says the Captain. "Captain Medraut. Honorable sort, at least as pirates go. Not nearly as violent as some, keeps his word, doesn't allow his hostages to be molested. If we get close enough to Gont, he'll respect their waters as neutral. As it happens, he's from Rebma as well. Odd man."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:52 pm

"From Rebma you say? Do you think his aggression would change any should he find out that a Prince is on board?"

Triton continues to build up a storm in order to stop the pirate pursuit.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:09 pm

The Captain shakes his head. "Who's to say?"

Sister Mircalla by now has used the spyglass herself. A few members of her entourage emerge from below decks, wearing armor and with curved swords to their side. All carry powerful looking bows, over five feet in length and clearly made from horn. Triton realizes the poundage on such things must be very powerful indeed. Each archer looks completely confident, indicating considerable strength and skill. Two also carry an interesting contraption--a jar filled with straw held in a cradle that rocks with the ship's movements. Within the jar is--straw?

Then one archer removes an arrow from his quiver and with a clean movement removes the barbed point. Reaching into the jar, he pulls out what looks like an arrow point,but at its center is large teardrop of clear glass, within which he can see a yellow liquid.

"Ah," says the Captain. "Liquid fire. I wondered at so few bodyguards around a prince and princess."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Triton glances at the arrows with a passing interest. He replies to the captain while keeping his attention on the pirate ship.

"I don't anticipate them being needed captain."

With that said, Triton brings his full attention to the Pattern and the power that it wields. Continuing his subtle shifts, he starts finding the shadows where the wind favors the Hippogriff over the pirate ship. Bringing things to a point where the wind itself is actually blowing the pirate ship back in the other direction. If those changes aren't enough to keep them safe, he will continue to build up the weather until a mega sea storm ravages the pirate ship.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Triton feels startled after a few moments. Winds rise to increase the speed of the Hippogriff, even as he expected. But similar winds rise aiding the pirate's vessels. More, it seems as if the latter were already in place. Meanwhile, he finds the storms intended to obey his will struggle against it. Which is impossible. He has not looked so far afield as to reach a place where things like storms have sentience, or anything resembling a mind. Frankly, he has not the power.

He recognizes someone with similar powers to his own strives against him, a fact that surprises enough he almost doesn't hear what Sister Mircalla says next. Almost.

"Does it not seem strange to you, the way this pirate behaves? Why fly the ensign of what he is so close to Hippogriff? Surely the better tactic is to fly some other flag, hopefully deceiving us until the distance between us were much reduced? Is this Medraut famed for recklessness?"

"Not at all, Highness" is the Captain's reply. "His reputation is one of great cunning."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Triton looks over at Mircalla and the Captain, unable to hide the shock on his face.

"It seems that things have just gotten more interesting. Someone on that ship is using the Pattern. They are thwarting my efforts to stop their pursuit. We might need those arrows after all," He smiles, "But perhaps there is more to this. By running the flag up and making themselves easy to identify, perhaps they are looking to talk?"

Triton then thinks through those he knows with the power of the Pattern. Are they all from Amber? Would someone from Amber be attacking them on open water like this?
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Tellingly, Nema is not reacting with any sense of danger whatsoever. At the same time, Hippogriff's captain scratches his beard.

"Come to think on it, those tactics don't make much sense if he's planning at attack. He could've tacked differently, headed us off. Or tried to."

Sister Mircalla has the spyglass, staring at the ship. She goes very still for a moment. Very, very still. When she takes the spyglass down from her eye she looks serious and still. "My apologies to you all" she says. "Although I don't believe we're in any immediate danger." She hands the spyglass to Triton. "I would recommend you look at the ship's figurehead."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 am

Between the Captain's realization and Nema's lack of concern, Triton can't help but remain calm. When Sister Mircalla states that they are not in danger, it makes him all the more curious. Are they coming for him or Mircalla he wonders. Accepting the Sister's offer, he takes the spyglass and looks at the ship.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:17 am

The approaching ship's figurehead is now quite visible through the glass. Triton does not recognize the figure, that of an attractive young woman whose brown hair flows behind her, robes of white and brown and blue surrounding her. A local sea goddess? Or some such?
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Triton pulls the spyglass from his eye and looks over at Mircalla.

"I don't know who she is, but I'm looking forward to meeting her. I assume she is known to you?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm

The Holy Sister says nothing at first, but nods. "And I have reason to believe her on that ship even now. But I'm not at all sure why."

At that very moment Triton feels the sensation of some one attempting a Trump Contact.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm

OOC: I'll post here if Triton accept the call.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm

As Triton waits for Mircalla to explain who is on the ship he feels the pull of a Trump contact. Feeling that he is in no danger and assuming that it is the Pattern manipulator on the other ship, Triton accepts the call.

"Pardon me a moment, I think our visitor might be calling," Triton says before looking off towards the ship, away from the others.

"Hello. Who's this?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Mint appears, she has her hair elaborately coifed as if for a party, but wears a lounging dress more appropriate for Castle Amber. Behind her Triton sees a room, possibly Mint's own, which he has probably not seen before. Triton can feel her curiosity through the connection. Although the contact is unaggressive, he can tell she has a powerful mind (Psyche at least Amber).

"Greetings cousin, I..."

Mints eyes flicker past Triton to the sailors visible behind him. She tenses up.

"I'm interrupting something. Would you like my help or perhaps to pass your lady charge along to the safety of Castle Amber?"
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Triton is smiling and as is often the case, his clothes are simple. An open vest, blowing in the wind, no shirt underneath. A simple pair of black pants and no shoes. Triton's easy going attitude makes it clear that he isn't fighting against the call in any way. But even with his passive stance she has always gotten the impression that his own mental strength is also on par with that of Amber.

The wind catches his hair and his smile turns into a smirk as he recognizes his cousin. It is very easy to see why so many women fall for his charms.

"Dear cousin, how are you? Alas you are correct, now is not the best of times. It seems that we are about to be boarded by pirates. They fly a crimson unicorn and one of them possess the power of the Pattern. Things should be very interesting. While I cannot possibly leave and ignore the mystery at hand, I will extend your offer to the Holy Sister," Triton turns around towards Mircalla, "Sister, since we have no idea who is on that ship, perhaps you would prefer the safety of castle Amber? My cousin offers you safe passage," As she ponders that Triton turns back to his cousin, "So cousin, while the Sister considers your generous offer, perhaps we can discuss the nature of your call," Triton smiles.

It is very clear that Triton is taking the pirates in stride and is not a bit worried. Whether this is because of an over developed sense of confidence or just his carefree attitude, she can't be sure.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next