The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

+3
Winnow
Fergus
David
7 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 10 Empty Re: Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

Post  Mint Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Mint accepts one or more drinks from Aiden if he provides them. She tosses her head back and shotguns the tasty alcoholic beverages.

"Thank you."

"I would love to."

Mint heads for the dance floor with Fergus.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 10 Empty Re: Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

Post  Fergus Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Fergus acompanies Mint to the dancefloor and begins to lead her in the dance. He is still not convinced he is good at it despite Aunt Flora's statements to the contrary, but he had remembered the steps by rote. If he could remember 6 decks of cards then a few dance steps were no problem. He was more worried about his physical ability to execute them.

I may have to go visit the courts at some point to find out about my ability

I should be wary of doing that as they are the enemies of the blood.

"You didn't answer my previous question Cousin Mint. I've noticed that it seems to be a family trait. There are things going on around me here but I'm not being told what they are, and this isn't just paranoia."

Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 pm

"Hence the dance. While I prefer to minimize secrets particularly important ones, I did not know your preference in this matter and I hated to presume as some of what I need to say seems particularly relevant to your history. Plus Aiden does not share my attitude toward secrets and he gets that apoplectic look when I spill things he thinks I should not."

Mint dances divinely, following Fergus' lead with well practiced steps.

"I have met the sister of the woman in the Kier's Trump, Josette by name. The woman we suspect as your mater went by the name Isabel. I have made arrangements to soon meet their brother Fernand. To the best of my knowledge they believe Isabel deceased, but lack certainty to that inference. I know a bit more, but I certainly don't want to overwhelm you."

"You dance well for a beginner."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:37 pm

I had a feeling it was you, Cyclops. You seem like the type that would torture children. At least now I have a name to put with the face. I think that I should have fun 'questioning' you Mister Forrester.

Aiden stands for a moment pondering the prophesy Fergus has just recited while the two go off to the dance floor. And then deciding that this probably won't get him anywhere at the moment, prophesies being what they are, he looks around the hall for anyone who might prove interesting and entertaining to interact with...

Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 am

(Aiden - if you're in the room with the dancing:

Kierenne is at the mini-throne with Queen Moire, and NPC Alexander.
Kieran is making the rounds with Crowned Prince Lyr.
You've found Fergus and Mint, of course.
Winnow is otherwise occupied with Nimue.
Flora, Fiona, Caine, and Gerard are here.
Llewellen probalby, as well.

Also, I hate you all for being able to talk amongst yourself.
)
Kierenne
Kierenne

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:46 am

"Thank you Cousin Mint, you dance superbly yourself. I apologise for the acusation, but some of the elders seem adept at not answering when they choose. Some may not notice the subtleties involved but it does not escape me."

Fernand. The first syllable is close to my own. Is that a tradition in the family or a naming after a favoured brother?

Fergus considers what Mint has told him as he dances and postulates a theory.

"It would be good to confirm exactly how long that Isabel has been missing as I think it likely that it co-incides with a time between my conception and my birth. Someone went to alot of trouble to have me concealed in Shadow and the motive may well have been that they were angry at her getting pregnant by another. What better revenge on an errant mother than to lock both her and her son away so that she would never see him or know him or what had become of him. Or perhaps more pertinent is that someone found the first prophecy of the Priestess of the Unicorn and when they found out that Isabel had given birth to a boy that matched the description in the prophecy. Fearing that this prophecy would wreck some plan of theirs they locked both mother and child away with a new false prophecy to cover their actions. It would have to be close family since there is a predeliction I believe for not killing one's kin amongst us. Eric twice I believe exiled or locked up Corwin rather than killing him."

I think that watching too many Holo-Vid dramas has affected me. I should have stuck to just the factual progamming.

"So it seems I have more family then. Up until two weeks ago I had none, and now I have a surfeit of family. Tell me more of Josette. Does she have the same eye colouration as me?"

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 am

"This prophecy of the Priestess, would that be from the Shrine in Uberwald?"

"You spin quite a fancy speculation. Princes Eric and Corwin faced perhaps different circumstances than your own. Oberon once proclaimed that no fratricide would ever inherit the throne and Eric did very much desire that inheritance."

"You may well have even more family than you yet know."

Mint lets Fergus see a sly smile.

"Ah, but first you asked of Josette. She has long flowing brunette hair and an imperious attitude. She counts herself one of the three best skilled warriors in her family. She has won the heart of a pirate captain. She quarrels with her brother Fernand. She has faced accusations of Isabel's murder, but I do not believe that she did the deed. She has a strong sense of honor. I have in point of fact accepted a commission from Josette to prove that she did not kill Isabel as I do not believe that doing so conflicts with my other duties, and it may in point of fact aid them. And as to eyes, yes and no. She possesses a rather more traditional matched set, but they do match the color of your golden eye quite precisely."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Mint's honest and straightforward manner goes down well with Fergus.

I think Lamiaceae may be my favourite Cousin yet.

"Yes that is what Llyr said. He said that it was the first Priestess that had been given the prophecy, but that the current Priestess had told him about it. After the party Llyr is going to contact her for me to ask her to recite the prophecy to me. I'm sure he would not mind you coming along to here it as well Cousin."

Fergus flashes his rather unpolished smile back at Mint.

"It is interesting that she doesn't possess the same genetic defect that Isabel and I have. I have been considering that it is possible that maybe Josette, Fernand and Isabel are all descended from Oberon and that they are secret half brothers and sisters to the elders. If Josette and Isabel have unusal eye colourings then it is probable that they are from the same mother and that Isabel's is a genetic defect from the norm. That would make Grandfather Oberon's edict against killing a brother or sister equally apply to them, hence the reason for not killing Isabel and myself. When you see Fernand you might want to ask about his parentage, but please do not mention me to either Fernand or Josette. If either was responsible then knowing who I'd been in contact with might give them more information than we'd want at this stage."

"If I can find Isobel then I can help you prove that Josette did not murder her, and hopefully she can enlighten us as to who is responsible for all of this. Cousin Mint, I really appreciate all your help in this, thank you."

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 pm

"While I can and will say more of family soon, Professor Fergus, let me turn the topic for a moment in a different direction."

Mint timed the word turn to coincide with a necessary turn in the dance. She has obviously figured out Fergus' dance moves and begun to predict them.

"You put forward earlier the hypothesis that those who carry drinks here are forced to serve. I suggest that you put that hypothesis to the test albeit gently and with respect for the dignity of those to whom you inquire. I admit that I know better the state of affairs in Castle Amber than here in the first reflection, but I find it exceedingly unlikely that Moire countenances slavery. Positions of service to the royal family in Amber are much sought after and competed over by a number of families. Having a son or daughter in service raises the social status of the entire family not to mention that many parents dream of the potential of their child ensnaring one of our brood in matrimony. If any servant in Amber feels pressured to take or keep their position that pressure no doubt originates from a familial source rather than his royal highness King Random the First of Amber. Florimel excels at such games of patronage and status and can tell you all about them in excruciating detail if you choose to inquire although having heard the explanation already I will absent myself from the lecture."

"While I cannot vouchsafe that Rebma uses the exact same system as Amber I would wager they employ some similar methods. Slaves make poor servants as do the unwilling and Moire would never settle for poor service."

"By all means ask those servants who you encounter why they serve. The answers may surprise and enlighten you, but I severely doubt that they will support your hypothesis. Please do try to avoid insulting those you ask as I suspect that many take a pride in service and would blanch to have their loyalty questioned."

"In point of fact I too serve and feel such pride. I have given His Royal Highness King Random the First of Amber my oaths of loyalty as his vassal and his soldier. I know it does not yet fit with your experience, but service to a worthy master can prove a noble calling. I have found it such."

"I lack a familiarity with the doctrines of egalitarianism which you practice. If as I suspect they include some degree of respect for those of all classes, ranks, and stations, then I ask that you listen to those who serve and respect the choices that we make even if you do not agree with those choices."

"Don't worry that I take personal offence at your words. I accept that you lack the experience to judge Amber or Rebma fairly. I merely suggest that you gain that experience rather than embarrass yourself by clinging to an untested and unprovable hypothesis."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Fergus misteps the dance at some of Mint's words to him, coming as they were completely out of the blue.

"Cousin MInt. My comment earlier was mainly at the laziness of people in not going and doing for themselves what they are perfectly capable of doing. Fetching a drink from that table over there (he points) is an action that takes less than a minute yet people here do not seem to be capable of doing it themselves. They seem to have need of someone else to perform that labour for them. You talk of the pride that the servants here have in what they are doing, yet much of the time the are just covering for the laziness of the people who lord it over them. I am all for honest pay for honest work but much of this goes beyond what is needed. I have already mentioned that whilst imprisoned I did pretty much everything for myself after a certain age. I cooked, cleaned and mended my own clothes. I did not need a servant and neither do most of the people here."

"As to respect for all classes I have Jorge come to my room each day and he and I talk for some time and drink tea which I make. We get on extremely well. I understand that most of the servants are used to the demands of the Elders here, but I am very different. I do not demand things since I am focussed on being the best that I can be."

"I am sorry Cousin Mint if I have upset you in this, it is not my intention. When I first met Cousin WInnow I told him that I may upset him as I was not used to company. I went for long periods of time without talking to anyone and I guess it must show. Perhaps I have read too much and had too much time on my hands in my incarceration, but now that I am free I do not intend to be a burden on others. At times I get frustrated that others do not see that they should try and better themselves as well as people."

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:28 pm

"If you wish a life free of laziness I can definitely recommend the military. In the field I mend my own clothes, take turns at acquiring and preparing food, and otherwise meet all my own needs at one time or another in between surveying long distances and occasionally slaying a Manticore or three."

"Good wait staff serve as the circulatory system of a party. The keeps conversations flowing, or distract from them as necessary. They ensure a flow of refreshment to those wearied, while reducing or eliminating the flow to the bellicose or inebriated. They prevent congestion at the dispensaries. In return for this they earn not just a wage, but the opportunity to observe the elite with all the foibles and failings that entails. Our family puts on quite a show don't you think. Gossip of our aunts and uncles entertains many of all classes. Not to mention that anything of import said within earshot of a servant here will no doubt reach Moire's delicate ear. To speak plainly, we surround ourselves with spies. Everyone knows the game and sometimes sending word through unofficial channels proves more politic than a formal declaration."

Mint sighs.

"You do not upset me gentle Fergus. I merely do not want you to mistake the games of politics for some other thing out of your personal history. Frankly, your desire to serve speaks well of you. I do hope that His Royal Highness King Random the First of Amber will look with favour upon your notion of an Academe."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 pm

"I am not sure that I am cut out for the miltary. Whilst I can fight with a sword a bit my talents are not really focussed in that area. I really hope that Random will allow me to start up an Academy here, though I have yet to ask him and I must sort out the business of my parents first."

I wonder how many of these servants are really spies, whether working for Moire or maybe for Uncle Caine.

"As to the politics and spying, I really was not aware of this. I'm not sure that I really want to get involved either. Both the people of Amber and the people of Rebma have common interests as well as family ties. I'm not sure that I want to get tangled up in that game. I just want to be able to settle down and do what I can to improve things for my fellow man, though I fear that given the thrust of the first prophecy I am going to get involved in trying to sort out some sort of family dispute."

Fergus starts to look a bit happier now.

"I think a balloon will be quite easy to do here you know. Helium should work here and we can probably bring it in from another shadow instead of trying to make it here ourselves. I'll let you name it for the first flight. Aunt Flora's elavator might prove more difficult as I need to get power working first. My idea was to look into the possibility of using hydro-electric power to try and generate it. I take it there are suitable rivers in Amber that could be dammed should trials with models prove successful?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm

"You have no need for modesty. I heard of your match with Winnow. You acquitted yourself nicely enough. I do look forward to someday sparring with him myself. I would estimate him quite possibly the second best warrior of our generation. Although I suspect by his current absence that he has made time for a different sort of match this eve."

"Amber does of course have rivers, although the Arden has more such and wilder. In fact once I encountered a sea serpent which had somehow managed to wed its way many miles upstream into the Arden. It provided quite a fight. Strangling a thrashing monstrosity whilst holding one's breath is no easy task."

"I do think that you will find politics and diplomacy impinge on your intentions. I suspect that the social resistance to change will prove more difficult to overcome than the scientific limitations. Do you know that despite the fact that movable type works quite well here, Amber has no news sheet? They rely instead on criers to announce items of interest. As a royal you could of course set the fashion in some things if you choose, but to do so you would need to play the very role which you declaim."

"As to the prophecy, I advise care. Those of Oberon's blood make reality by our wills. This becomes more true once one has initiated the Pattern as we have not. Try not to make this prophecy a self fulfilling one if you can."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:41 pm

"I aquitted myself well mostly because of Cousin Winnow's generosity I'm afraid. The moment he saw that Cousin Keiran had a sword he offered to spar against him, though I don't think that they are sparring tonight. I think that perhaps that I would like to see you spar against him."

Fergus frowns at the implications of politics on his intentions.

"I was not expecting opposition I must admit. I'd have thought that progress would speak for itself, though I'm not really an expert on how people react. I may need to think more on this."

"The prophecy from the Nexus I had every intention of working against. This one from the Priestess of the Unicorm I have yet to hear but as always I will do as I choose rather than what fate has dictated since I believe in free will. There will be much more pressure on this one though since many will feel that this is the will of the Unicorn that is behind this one."

And everyone reveres it as a God here

"So Cousin Mint we have spoken mostly about me tonight. Tell me a bit about yourself. I know that you are in the Amber military and to quote someone else in this room are 'bound to duty', but I don't really know much about you."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:37 pm

"I will speak of myself since you insist, although I do ask that if you find yourself bored feel free to change the subject. I will take no offence."

"I began as a loving daughter to my father Brand in a Shadow known as Iv. I grew up in this magical place with talking animals and clockwork men as well as the more common sort about. We lived in a small cottage and while father never needed work for his supper we were not that different from our neighbours. I never knew my mother although I did occasionally see Aunt Fiona and Uncle Bleys. Although I lost him too soon I learned much from father."

Do Mint's eyes tear up? Given the watery nature or Rebma it seems impossible to tell.

"Before he left me that final time Father placed me in a finishing school to learn the manners that he said I would need as a Princess. He told me that he had gone to claim the family throne. I never saw him after that. Two years later the funds he left for my education ran out and I found myself on the streets. I learned then to fend for myself. I'm not ashamed to admit that I took for my needs what others had to spare."

"Eventually dear Aunt and Uncle found me and saw to my more practical education placing me in schools of military and magical tutelage which they each supplemented with the occasional private lesson."

"When I learned the Spell: To Breach the Veil and employed it for a bit of inter-dimensional exploration I encountered someone or something which chased me across Shadows for quite some time. I eventually found my way to the Golden Circle and then on to Amber. There I learned of my extended family and of my father's fall. I chose to honour the nobility of my father's life rather than the madness of his death by serving the land he loved."

"I also seek to redeem his name. Many here distrust gingers as you may well have noticed. My father is the reason why. I do suggest that you show care in associating yourself with my father's memory or even in speaking well of him. Few, and I do count myself among that few, will look kindly on you for it."

"You may awaken now. My tale is done in broad outline if not in detail. In truth I choose the simple life of a soldier and find it suits me. I go where I'm sent and do as my orders dictate. I enjoy the pursuits of the intellect as well as the simple joys of battle. I leave policy and politics to others as much as I can. I enjoy chess although I have yet to find any other than family who can provide a good game. And I also find time occasionally for..."

Mint coughs.

"...uncomplicated pleasures although I reserve those for persons other than kin."

Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 am

Kierenne wrote:"Prince Triton, you say? He is your son by Corwin, I believe? I think I would very much like to meet him, then." She looks around at the dancers, "Is he here?"

"On, no. Alexander, you had said he was off on some mission, now. I guess it will have to wait, then."
"Triton," says Queen Moire, "is a good and intelligent lad, but lacks a level of maturity I hope time will eventually instill. But then, he should have plenty of that ahead of him. I myself am not quite so sure that is as wonderful a thing as it seems. Virtual immortality--or a lifespan so long as to be the next best thing. Sounds delightful does it not? And yet so much of Amber's troubles for the past century or more stemmed essentially from behavior that bordered on childish. One understands how the long-lived might well mature slower. We Rebmans live longer than most Shadow folks, by far. As a result we rarely win consideration as adults until our thirtieth birthdays. Yet much as I admired your father, and his brother Corwin, it seemed to me so much of their rivalry resembled what one would expect in a nursery. Most sophisticated, to be sure--especially given the natural abilities of both, which were considerable. Yet it was only in the last few years before his passing that Eric grew fully into his role as monarch, in fact if not in title. Curiously, Corwin seemed to finally mature about the same time, enough to realize he had no real desire for the throne at all." She shakes her head a little.
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 am

Kieran wrote:"Let me see if I understand this correctly. You have a sibling. Who would be considered illegitimate, yet is in the succession. Who was fathered by the u, by the one who sought to deny Father's succession to the throne due to Father's illegitimate birth?"

Realizing his phrasing, "This is not meant as disrespect to you, your brother, or the Queen, I am simply trying to make sure I understand the situation as presented."
Prince Llyr smiles, more with his eyes than with his mouth. "Like most law, we have to make things up as we go along," he says in a lowered voice, his tone almost amused. "As I understand it, Eric and Corwin were rivals from childhood. Mostly Oberon's fault, at least that's my guess. As far the succession goes, each can be seen as Advocates in a court of law--only the court proved to be reality itself. Later of course, actual courts made their own judgments. Since Oberon wasn't dead, Eric was technically only Regent, even if he was crowned--not that he usurped anything since everyone believed the first King deceased. Corwin might have been a usurper, if he'd succeeded in taking the Regency from Eric, but in fact your father died in battle before that happened. So the Regency in fact passed from eldest brother to next eldest, until the King's genuine death when a divine intervention placed Random on the throne. Have you met him? He got my sister pregnant, then abandoned her. She committed suicide. Hence I end up liking the man personally, yet bearing him a real grudge for his carelessness with another's heart. You father might have found that amusing in an ironic way. Maybe, anyway."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 am

Aiden wrote:Aiden stands for a moment pondering the prophesy Fergus has just recited while the two go off to the dance floor. And then deciding that this probably won't get him anywhere at the moment, prophesies being what they are, he looks around the hall for anyone who might prove interesting and entertaining to interact with...
Caine approaches his son.

"Found yourself in the middle of adventures and mysteries, eh? Well, since your sister seems the same way, I suppose you must get it from me."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 am

"Corwin realized... you say he doesn't want the throne? It seems that there is much of my family history I was not aware of. For example, you are not the first to say that my father was not the King in title, though Grandfather says... that is, my maternal grandfather... says that he was crowned. While I was being groomed for Amber's throne, I felt a certain amount of pride in it, but I think I was mostly fooling myself. With Grandfather gone, I find I am completely uninterested in the bother of ruling."

"In fact, my cousin Alexander and I were just chatting about some of the many ways I am unfit for sitting the throne. I think my ideal kingdom would be a small replica of Amber, with just a few household staff around to tend to my needs. Anything more, and I'd quickly become a tyrant. So, perhaps it's best that I'm no longer expected to rise to that task."

"But what of yourself, majesty? My family in Amber seems to imply that your rule here is just and reasonable. Or, at least, they didn't warn me of an unusual number of beheadings or virgin sacrifices. How did the crown find its way to you? If that's not too long of a story..." Kierenne looks around, realizing that others might also want to speak with the queen. "Or perhaps we might tell stories later, majesty, when the duties of host aren't upon you."
Kierenne
Kierenne

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 am

Fergus pays close attention to Mints tale.

"Although your tale is sad in places it does gratify me that you have learnt the value of self reliance Cousin Mint. The place where you grew up sounds absolutely fascinating, but then to me who has seen nothing, everything sounds interesting. We have something else in common too. We both have missing mothers who may possiblt be dead. Once I have finished looking for mine I will try and help you look for yours if you would like."

"I shall make a mental note of not praising your father too loudly in company Lamiaceae, though it is not right that his brilliance should be so casually disregarded."

I wonder what cuased him to turn in the end. He must surely have known that re-writing the pattern would destroy everything but he recreated reality, even his own daughter. I wonder if Mint has realised this. I wonder if something else drove him to do it as I cannot see the lust for power being a good reason to destroy your own daughter.

"I play Chess also, though to date I have only played against Computers which become very predictable after a while which may not make my game up to your standard. I'm not sure what you mean by uncomplicated pleasures, though I trust that you enjoy them and get to do them as often as your duties permit."

"I have now met Cousin Winnow, The Keir, Cousin Alexander, and Cousin Aiden briefly. Am I missing any more from our generation that I should know about?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 am

"I have met Crown Prince Martin, Aiden's sister Reena, and of course Triton, Moire's other son by Corwin."

(OOC:If a new player enters the game with an appropriate backstory this list may get retroactively amended.)

"Yes, as duties permit..." Mint smiles enigmatically but does not elaborate further.

"It does seem that how one meets the end can eclipse the entirety of one's life. Take Eric as another example. He waged a feud with his brother that nearly destroyed this family, seized and held the throne first as regent then as self proclaimed king, let his feud make Amber truly vulnerable to invasion, attempted fratricide, kept his brother as some macabre trophy to display at banquets, and even burned out his brother's eyes. At the end he died of mysterious circumstances in defence of Amber and thus people remember him a hero."

Mint sighs.

"The dance will end soon and ere it does I wish to share a suspicion with you."

"The twins have two Trumps of Isabel one backed with the Crimson Unicorn and a nude of more standard backing. This suggests that Isabel had a paramour amongst the Elders and that this paramour knew Trump. It seems not unreasonable that this hypothetical paramour might have fathered you. Prince Brand had an absolute gift for discovering secrets. He fathered me with a mysterious woman whose identity he kept secret even from Bleys and Fiona. No one came to rescue you until now which suggests that your parents did not know of your fate or lacked the ability to intervene. No one now amongst the Amberites has come forward to claim your patrimony. Corwin, now absent, is the sole male of his generation not known to have visited Nexus. Neither Corwin nor Eric were known as Trump artists. My Father was known as perhaps the greatest master of Trump. The Trumps held by the Kier do not match my father's style, but he had skill enough to paint functional Trumps in a different style if he chose, which he might have done for secrecy's sake. Do you seem where my thought lead? It all seems damnably uncertain. Still, I have decided not to refer to you as cousin or by any other familial term until such time as I learn the truth."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 am

[OOC - Surely Merlin too - though you may not have met him if he's been off in Shadow]

"The history of the Elders is riddled with distrust and arguement I'm afraid. I am very glad that Random is seeking to redress that with the new generation."

Fergus is suprised at Mint's thoery and candour.

"It is possible certainly that Brand was my father as he was one of those who went to the Nexus to play cards. Equally though since Eric had the trumps he is also possible as a father, particularly when you consider that the creation of trumps does not need to be done by one of the blood, or so I am told. Though that would make the Kier my half siblings. Since none of the Elders have confessed to fatherhood it makes it more likely that one of the Elders who died is a prime candidate. I must say that I would very much enjoy having you be my sister Lamiaceae."

But I fear that it is not the case.

"You have been extremely helpful and honest with me Lamiaceae, so there is one more thing that I would tell you, though I trust that you do not tell anyone else. Aunt Flora knows, and will likely tell Random, but I would rather that it was not spread around any further. I have inherited Grandfather Oberon's ability somehow, which was why Aunt Flora and I were talking of it earlier and I am suprised that you picked up on it. Do you have a way of telling?"

The dance ends and Fergus bows politely to Mint.

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Kierenne wrote:"Corwin realized... you say he doesn't want the throne? It seems that there is much of my family history I was not aware of. For example, you are not the first to say that my father was not the King in title, though Grandfather says... that is, my maternal grandfather... says that he was crowned. While I was being groomed for Amber's throne, I felt a certain amount of pride in it, but I think I was mostly fooling myself. With Grandfather gone, I find I am completely uninterested in the bother of ruling."
"Eric was indeed crowned," confirms Moire. "Technically, so was Corwin, and first. Your father was in many ways the more mature of those two but even he was not above a bit of foolish bravado. He decided to have Corwin, then his prisoner, crown him--and of course Corwin took the opportunity to put the crown upon his own head." She makes a gesture as if to say boys will be boys.

"In fact, my cousin Alexander and I were just chatting about some of the many ways I am unfit for sitting the throne. I think my ideal kingdom would be a small replica of Amber, with just a few household staff around to tend to my needs. Anything more, and I'd quickly become a tyrant. So, perhaps it's best that I'm no longer expected to rise to that task."

"But what of yourself, majesty? My family in Amber seems to imply that your rule here is just and reasonable. Or, at least, they didn't warn me of an unusual number of beheadings or virgin sacrifices. How did the crown find its way to you? If that's not too long of a story..." Kierenne looks around, realizing that others might also want to speak with the queen. "Or perhaps we might tell stories later, majesty, when the duties of host aren't upon you."
"I would so enjoy that," says Moire.

"As it happens," notes Alexander, "I see we've had some new arrivals--including Cousin Aiden who I think it unlikely you've met. This is the first time in years he's been back in Amber or Rebma. Majesty," he bows to Moire, then offers his arm to Kierenne. "If I may?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Turning to Llyr, "But enough of such deep matters, Crown Prince Llyr, shall we dance?"

He fluidly bows, and holds an arm out for Llyr to join him in moving towards the main dance floor.
Llyr blinks a little at the suggestion, but then does the tiniest shrug. "As you wish. Be warned, however, I am hardly the best of dancers."

That proves true. Crown Prince he may be, but as a ballroom dancer Llyr proves no more than adequate. On the other hand, he seems to enjoy it well enough, or at least seems amused by a few looks they get from other guests on the dance floor.
Kieran
Kieran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:32 pm

The girl bows deeply to the throne. "I look forward to our next meeting, Queen Moire." she says, as she allows Alexander to lead her away.

She shares with her twin, I think she liked me. Perhaps I'll be allowed to stay a while, to study the enchantment here.

As they approach Caine and Aiden, she also spots Mint dancing with Fergus. Without trying to be obvious about it, she inspects Mint's dancing in her billowing dress underwater. She is annoyed to see that Mint is... she won't admit to "better", but clearly Mint has both natural talent AND more than a single night's experience. It's clear that Fergus is the limiting factor in that pair, though he himself seems to be taking to the dance quite well. Mint even managed to use the billowy dress to her advantage, as it swept around them gracefully like a school of fish. Kierenne looked down at her own skin-tight outfit, and suddenly resented the advice of those who said billowy would be a poor choice for clothing.

Not being able to feel superior to Mint immediately puts her in a worse mood, the queen's pleasant conversation nearly forgotten in her pique. And so, when they got closer to Aiden and his father, she takes out her frustration there. Seeing her cousin reaching for another drink from a passing steward's tray, she reaches out with her magic and pulls the drink to her own hand before he can grasp it.

Kierenne
Kierenne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next