The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

4 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow) - Page 16 Empty Re: Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Post  Winnow Tue May 01, 2012 2:33 pm

Winnow's face lights up. "Sir, you have paid your fare, and handsomely, with those words. I intend to find this place, using what powers I have. You may happily follow my lead, or go your own way, as you wish."

Winnow looks to see what Mint's reaction to this is, but if she has an objection she will probably wait to raise it until after Diego's departure.

Winnow seek any other details of this island-bridge realm, that will help him in the seeking, and then politely ensure the man rejoins his ship.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow) - Page 16 Empty Re: Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Post  Mint Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Mint will also seek details of this realm along with Winnow.

Once Diego has departed, Mint says, "Since I have gone to the trouble of preparing my gate spell we might as well try to use it to save time. While my spell has a limited range inter-dimensionally, if this land or some near Shadow of it falls within that range I can open a portal there large enough to bring the ships through and keep that portal stable for some fair amount of time beyond that."

That said, Mint will cast the spell using the descriptions provided by Diego as the chosen destination. She may not get the exact right isle if more than one such Shadow falls within her range, but she will get an isle that matches that description or the spell will indicate that no such place exists within her range.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 pm

The portal opens. Beyond are a cluster of islands, linked by tree-roots or branches that form natural bridges. The smallest of these islands is about the size of a basketball court. Largest are big enough to hold a good-sized castle.
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 am

"There lies the land or perhaps a near Shadow from which you can find the desired place easily enough. I will leave it to you to arrange the winds and guide the ships through Cousin."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Winnow will bellow across that if they wish they should follow the Celeste through the portal to the place of the wood-bridged islands. Then he will guide the ship through.

If they do follow along, Winnow will help them to get the through the portal with nudges of the winds and waves.

Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Entering through the Portal proves easy enough, and soon Celeste as well as The Crimson Unicorn and her charges are within sight of the bridged islands.

A lookout immediately tells them something is on the horizon. Another piece of land. Winnow and Mint may look in the direction through a spyglass and see a familiar tower shape. Very familiar. It looks like a lighthouse.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 pm

[Did we see islands with woody bridges at the previous lighthouse?]
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 pm

[OOC - absolutely not.]
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 am

"Curiouser and curiouser. I've been chased by many things in my day, but never by a Lighthouse."

Mint gathers her gear and prepares to join the first boat headed to land unless there is somewhere obvious that the ship could dock.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 am

"Given Prospero's status as an accomplished mage and artificer, I suspect this to be one of many lighthouses he has as outposts in shadow. It is also possible that it is the same lighthouse and it moves, or accesses different shadows. Or it might just be an unrelated lighthouse."

The Celeste will lead the convoy toward the lighthouse. Winnow (and MInt, he suspects) is very interested to see if this lighthouse resembles or is a copy of the one they visited, where Persephone attended and the absent Prospero ruled.

If there is a wharf near the lighthouse that is deep enough for Celeste's draft, they will make fast alongside. If not, they will anchor a cable's length (200 yards) off shore, or wherever the water remains deep enough but as close as possible.

Winnow will explain to Diego that this lighthouse resembles one they have seen before, and that he and his Lady Cousin will be investigating. Then they will go ashore at the lighthouse, bringing along two hands to row and watch the boat (if they are not moored). He will leave instructions with Franclen that if by chance they do not return or communicate for one week, he and the crew may take the ship wherever their best interests lie.

He suggests to Mint that anything she absolutely cannot bear to lose she should bring along. For his part he will bring along a handful of gold and silver as well as his trumps, his armor and his sarong, and one set of ordinary seaman's clothing with boots.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu May 03, 2012 11:20 am

"As a Ranger I'm used to carrying everything to any place short of a royal ball and that limit exists only because I haven't found the right dress yet."

Mint has her backpack with the attached crossbow and quiver as well as her sword in sheath on her belt. Everything else of import is stowed in her pack for now.

"If the key fits I think we can confirm this as one of Prospero's Lighthouses. The contents will tell if we have found the same one."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri May 04, 2012 4:18 pm

The islands jut out from what looks like a peninsula, upon which stands the lighthouse. As Celeste approaches, tiny differences become apparent. Certainly the location is not the same. But this lighthouse is slightly taller. It has more windows. A house stands along side. And a flagpole stands near both. Flying from it is a banner, black with a rearing red unicorn blazoned upon the center.

A pair of docks extend out from the peninsula, one of which has a small ship moored. It looks fast, designed for speed, and well maintained. A few individuals wave to the Celeste as it nears the dock. One or two are armed, with swords at their sides, but otherwise seem friendly. Rugged, good clothes. No armor.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sun May 06, 2012 8:16 am

Mint returns the wave and waits for the ship to dock.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

The official-looking individuals who greet the Celeste seem a blend of businesslike and friendly. One, who introduces himself as Caesar, wears a chain around his neck. Hanging from the chain is what looks like a badge of office, showing a golden anchor and crimson unicorn on a laquered black field.

"In the name of his Imperial Highness, Prince Regent Leontes, I bid you welcome," says Caesar.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Winnow will withdraw his armor to invisibility, and will go aboard in his simple sailor's togs with his sarong fixed as a baldrical ornament.

"In the name of his Royal Majesty King Random the First of Amber, I greet you and thank you for your welcome. I am Captain Winnow. His Majesty's private merchant ship Celeste requests permission to visit and to trade. We have aboard mainly some unusual spices. Please send aboard any inspectors as you may. This is my cousin, the Lady Mintabilia. Yon other ships," he gestures out at the Sombran fleet, "are from a place they call High Sombra, whom we met while upon the high seas. We escaped some corsairs together, a galley fleet who call themselves Red Hawks or somesuch, and so stayed together until we sighted your lighthouse."

Winnow gestures at the badge of office. "I see you show the Crimson Unicorn. Amber's sigil is also a unicorn, a white unicorn. If Admiral Diego decides to come visit you as well, you may find the name of his ship of war interesting..."

Winnow will pause, to see if it looks like Diego is standing in, or going on past.

Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Mint looks bored. "What is this quaint little place called and which empire is it part of?" she says to no one in particular.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Caesar gives a little bow. "More unicorns, eh? Well, that is interesting." He gazes at Mint. "This is an outpost of the Onyx Imperium, milady." He turns to Winnow and Captain Diego. "Trade is always welcome in the Imperium, providing all duties are paid and laws remain unbroken. We have a copy of the basics on shore if you'd like to come to read them. Tedious, I know, but necessary" he shrugs. "Can't say I've heard of your homelands before now, but then this is the furthermost frontier from our perspective. Most of our visitors come from unknown realms."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed May 09, 2012 5:05 pm

"I suppose I need to know the rules." says Mint.

She will follow Caeser and look through the laws paying careful attention to any sections dealing with weapons, trade, magic, or other unusual abilities.

"Oh by the way, you called Leontes, Prince Regent. That implies that he acts for someone else. Who is the Monarch for whom Leontes acts?"
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed May 09, 2012 5:07 pm

"Ah, the Regent reigns only in lieu of his mother, Titania, who rests now in the Queensleep to renew herself."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed May 09, 2012 5:15 pm

"Queensleep, eh? Never heard of it. Sounds restful. Not just a short nap then I guess?"

Does Mint see anything unusual in the local laws? Do they place any particular restrictions of carrying weapons, use of magic, or use of other special powers? Do they even mention any powers other than magic?
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed May 09, 2012 5:43 pm

"It renews her powers, which are very impressive, but takes years. Decades sometimes. About ten years ago, she had to wield everything she had to protect Onyx and its subject peoples from a huge Disturbance in the fabric of reality itself. Afterwards, she entered the Queensleep." He says this in a very matter-of-fact way. "But Prince Regent Leontes was ready and we've prospered while he holds the scepter."

The laws of the Imperium seem fairly straightforward, but certain passages hint at something a bit repressive. An extra tax for those who don't worship the Crimson Unicorn. Libel of the Imperial Family a serious offense, as is negligence in informing the Scepter's representatives of threats to the realm. Rebellion to be punished lavishly, as in impalement or crucifixion.

On the other hand, trial by jury with fairly rigid legal rights to those accused. Fines and indentured service the punishment for most offenses. The paperwork seems a little on the heavy side, but no worse than some places. There's no slavery, nor legalized torture. Dueling is legal, under strict protocols.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Fri May 11, 2012 10:58 am

"Do you know of anyone associated with your royals or aristocracy named Josette or Fernand, or Julian?" He gives Mint a look, to see if she wants to show them pictures from her Trump.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Mint looks up from her reading.

"Say, do you have pictures of any of your royals? On the money or elsewhere?"

She points to the law book.

"Now this is interesting. Negligence in informing the Scepter's representatives of threats to the realm is a crime here? Do you get much of that? I would think an entire realm somewhat hard to threaten without someone noticing."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun May 13, 2012 1:59 pm

The man gives a little take. "Josette and Fernand are Regent Leontes' younger siblings of course. They are abroad somewhere. From your mention of them I would assume you have heard tell of their doings? The government would like to hear of that! As for portraits, we have none this far from imperial center. The coins of course bear Queen Titania's image." He digs out a coin and shows it--but other than being beautiful and young, with a fairly long neck and wearing her hair up, little can be told from it.

He answers Mint. "There are rebellions now and again. Invaders from outlying shadows. For many an age monsters harried the Imperial waterways and preyed upon the surrounding lands. Twas Onyx that subdued them, the power of the Immortal City's royal family. All these are threats loyal citizens and law-abiding visitors are duty-bound to report."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Sun May 13, 2012 3:26 pm

"By all means then let me fulfill my obligations to you good sir."

"Firstly, I should inform you that my cousin Winnow and myself hail from a land rather difficult to reach from here, Amber, and we both hold loyalty to that land. That said, so long as the relationship between our respective nations does not turn acrimonious we pose no direct threat to your realm. I would also go so far as to say we definitely do not count as 'Invaders from an outlying Shadow.' We recruited our sailors and merchant accompaniment en route, but we have no reason to believe any of them bear Onyx any ill will."

"Secondly, I should inform you of the possibility that the Merewives may impinge upon your waters at some point in the conceivable future. Merewives are ancient and incredibly powerful beings who dwell beneath the waves and whose song will summon every male who hears it to swim to them although they drown in the attempt. Great and mighty forces of women have sought to destroy them to no avail. Their depredations only remained tolerable because their travel was once entirely predictable. Alas this has recently changed and while it seems unlikely, I cannot guarantee that they will not encroach upon your empire."

"Thirdly, I should inform you that I shall not inform you personally as to the doings of Josette or Fernand even to the limited extent of which I know them. Of this I will only say in confidence that I personally have accepted a commission to perform a task of familial importance for one Josette, who I believe is in fact Josette of Onyx."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next