The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

4 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow) - Page 17 Empty Re: Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Post  David Mon May 14, 2012 12:17 am

"I'd like to hear more about these...merewives, you say? As much as you both know, actually."
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow) - Page 17 Empty Re: Because Because Because Because Because...!!! (Mint & Winnow)

Post  Mint Mon May 14, 2012 9:12 am

"I consider myself far from an expert on them. To hear their song is death for any man. To confront them is death for any woman or indeed any army of women. I have heard their pattern of travel across the seas called a dance and within the last fortnight I learned that their dance has changed endangering ships is new waters."

"I read something recently, left by a female survivor of a merewife encounter. She wrote, 'I am alone now. My brothers, my father, my beloved Jarl. Of all the dangers in the sea this had been one we thought never to face. Since we are in a new Shadow, these must be a different group of merewives, dancing in different seas. Our ill fortune was beyond all that of poor gamblers in all the worlds to find our ship in their domain. I pray to the Unicorn and Leviathan both that none of them knew what song they were hearing. A false hope -- we all recognized the circle within the gale. The thrice-damned creatures sang and all the men answered. Leaving me here in alien seas, alone, my heart rent into shreds. No reason left to breathe or eat or do anything but sleep, hoping for dreams of what can never again be. So that is what I shall do. A strong glass of wine coupled with all the sleeping draught. Then I shall dream and never wake, save maybe in another life without any memory of this one. Or perhaps, if the Powers be kind, I shall be with my beloveds once more.'"

"I have had the good fortune never to encounter these beings. If they enter your waters I recommend you send scout ships crewed only by women to chart their course and hope that their course stabilizes or if you are very lucky moves entirely beyond your territory."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 am

Winnow will let Mint's discussion run its course, then set Franclen to making arrangements to have the cargo inspected and a local broker found to sell the mana root, if it will turn a reasonable profit. His eventual goal is to return the body, the ship and the money to the girl's family, at the same time picking up information.

Once he gets a chance, he will address Mint in private.

"So it appears we have positively identified the shadow from whence these Crimson Unicorn trump users come. I suggest it is soon time to make a report to our elders. If Trumps do not reach, it may be the only choice to sail the seas back to Amber. I could do so while you continue to investigate, or we could go together? And...have you tried Prince Julian's Trump this side of the distortion?"
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed May 16, 2012 3:08 pm

"I'm not convinced that we have quite reached where you think that we have reached. I doubt that this is Onyx nor that we have found it. I suspect that we have found instead the outermost Shadow of their empire. This place seems like the equivalent of the most distant of Golden Circle Shadows."

Mint sighs.

"If you insist on departing now when we are so close to to their stronghold then I will of course accompany you as I have no desire to remain marooned here. I will insist at a minimum that we obtain the best intelligence available here as to the extent of their family and of their empire."

"Juiian has not returned my Trump calls from this side of the distortion although I have yet to test it after our latest jump. In truth I suspect he is ensconced in Onyx itself. A fact that I doubt we may ascertain from this distance. Still, while we have a moment of privacy let us test that theory in the most practical of manners."

Mint pulls out her Trump of Julian and once more begins to concentrate inviting Winnow to lend his will to the task.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 am

Of course he shall help try the Trump.

After: "I insist on nothing, it just seemed the course most sensible to me. I am willing to defer to your judgment; if you think more investigation is warranted here, then I am behind you completely. I admit being unable to access Amber causes me unease, as does leaving the ship. I feel as if the solid ground has shifted under my feet and now I am unsure of where to step."

Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

"I know what you mean. The discovery of this place is the biggest thing since the family found out about the Courts of Chaos."

"Before we leave I would like to find out as much of the following as possible:"

"Who are the members of the Onyx royal family?"

"What specialties are they known for?

"How large is their empire?"

"What sort and size of military are they known to possess?"

"Do they have a True Pattern, a Broken Pattern, or Something else?"

"How do Oberon and Julian relate to all this?"

"And most importantly, Is... Julian... Here?"

With the last question, Mint redoubles her focus on the Trump.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu May 17, 2012 11:09 pm

For a moment, Mint clearly senses Julian's presence. His mind, his powerful personality clearly on this side of the distortion. But equally sure is his reaction. She can feel his awareness sweep over her for a moment, then cut off all contact.

No other Trump can reach anyone (save Winnow, or if Winnow tries, Mint).
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 pm

"Cousin, this changes everything." Thoughts are obviously racing through Mint's mind.

"If this island has any written records we may buy or borrow we must acquire them soonest. I would gladly let a decent bookseller retire a wealthy man for a selection of maps, histories, biographies, and the like. I would kill for the archives of a news sheet dating far enough back. Let us see how many of my questions we may answer upon this isle in the time we needs must remain."

(OOC: Can we tell how large an outpost exists on this island? Are we looking at a town?)
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 pm

[OOC - This is an outpost, rather than a town. But a nice-sized port is half a day's journey eastward, called Farmouth. From what you hear, there's a public library and even a Shrine of the Unicorn there.]
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 am

If they can go by sea, they do, immediately. With polite apologies to Caesar.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri May 18, 2012 9:06 am

Go to Farmouth.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

Caesar goes over everything they've told him about the merewives, double-checking details to get it all right. Then he prepares the correct paperwork to give them official passes to trade and travel within the Imperium. These prove not inexpensive, but hardly ruinous. He consults some rules about how to exchange coinage and so they can soon transfer as many funds as they like (and have) to local money--the basic unit is called a Florin, consisting of 25 Pence, or 50 Ha'pennies. Eleven Florins makes a Ducat.

Diego meanwhile gets permission (easy enough) to harvest as much of the fruit from the odd island as regulations allow. Not as much as he'd like but he cheerfully points out it will make a very tidy profit by anyone's standards. He wishes Winnow and Mint well.

The Celeste makes for Farmouth with the tide. Not a long journey, and the winds are fair, the weather pleasant. Nothing particularly odd about these seas or lands as far as either of them can notice.

They reach Farmouth within a few hours.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17