The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On The Roads Again (Xue)

3 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

On The Roads Again (Xue) - Page 3 Empty Re: On The Roads Again (Xue)

Post  Leeland Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:15 pm

(I don't think we specified who picked it up)

Leeland nods politely in thanks to the man for his information, though he does not give the man his name. "Could it be someone from this place Amber you mentioned?" He says, trying to keep the eagerness from his voice and maybe even succeeding to the casual observer. "You said you just learned of it this morning, perhaps that is the connection."
Leeland
Leeland

http://www.onedarkpath.com/forums/

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Xue scratches his chin, with fingernails only mildly longer and pointier than normal, for a moment. "I wouldn't think so. The people from Amber... actually, I don't know they're from Amber. But they're going to Amber, they say. And they left by ship this morning. We actually were riding with them for a brief way, but had a sort of a disagreement. So, I decided to come ashore and avoid any further conflict."

He shakes his head ruefully, "I really must work on my manners around warriors. This kind gentleman is very understanding, and chose not to pursue my offense. But Mintibilia... one wrong word, and it's all blood duals and debts of honor and blah blah blah... well... I was certain to put my foot in it again if I stayed. My people are large, but I think we're finally past that whole warrior's honor thing. Most of us, anyway."

"Well, some of us... okay, a few of us. But we're making progress. Maybe only a few more generations, and we'll be nearly civilized. It probably helps that all of our rulers start out their adult lives getting slapped around by the Prince Regent. It's hard to be arrogant, after that. He doesn't settle for a token beating, you know?"

"Anyway, I digress. The Amber-folk are unlikely to heap bounty upon me anonymously. Quite the opposite, I think. And I can't think of anyone else who'd want to butter me up, except maybe a local merchant? I'm establishing an outpost of my people here in town, perhaps they're trying to court my favor? Or, it could be for you. You've just arrived, did you have anything interesting in your hold, maybe someone wants you nice and drunk on fine blue ale before you negotiate price."

"Come to think of it, until we know which of us was the intended recipient, we'll need to stick together. Or else haggle over who takes possession when we part. The only sure way is to drink it together. I guess that means you must take my party to the capital, now. There's a bottle of ale to be drunk."
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:47 pm

"So you were traveling with these Amber folk? I've heard that name a few times before and they have a reputation for pride, not unlike my home actually." I am so close, it is real and this man may know where to look. "I think I would like to travel with you for a time Xue, your story intrigues me greatly. I would also like to hear more of this Amber and this Mintibilia? She sounds like a difficult woman."
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:10 pm

"To tell you the truth, I only spent half a day? with them. We had a chance encounter on the streets here in town, which turned into sharing a few drinks. I decided to join them on their trip, perhaps the drink went to my head, because I had other responsibilities to attend to here in town, but nonetheless we left in their ship. We made a stop to help out the slaves left aboard a pirate ship they'd apparently defeated before their arrival. Those slaves were given the ship and pointed towards shore. When last I looked, they were here in port, probably trying to decide what to do with their lives. If you're looking for information on this Amber, you might ask those slaves. And, one assumes that they were here in town doing something... you could ask around after that. Maybe there's a clue there."

"All I heard from them was the warrior posturing, and a declaration that they were returning home."
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:28 pm

"I will make a point of it." Leeland pauses as he attempts to formulate what to say. "I heard of Amber in my prior home. This is the first clue at finding my father I have found yet." He admits. "It seems our meeting was a gift from lady fortune. Your description matches what I have heard of them. Would you be willing to accompany me when I speak to the slaves? Since they already know you perhaps they would be more willing to answer my questions."
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 pm

"Why of course. They're over there in the harbor. And it looks like we're not going to find our guy anyway. Shall we?" and he gestures towards the slaves' boat.
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 am

"Excellent." Leeland follows Xue's gesture and heads to the slave's ship where he will try to find whomever seems to be in charge.
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 pm

A local magistrate seems to be in charge, with some assistants helping out the various former-slaves. Some receive medical attention while others still answer questions. Some military types, coupled with what look like sailors, seem to be looking over the ship in which the former slaves arrived.

As Leeland and Xue approach, they realize the blue-robed merchant is still with them. "Good to try and stay aware of new events," he says cheerfully, "or as those in my line of work like to call them, opportunities." Then he chuckles.

One of the healthier, more strong-eyed former slaves spots Xue as they approach and rises.
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Xue approaches the standing freeman. "Greetings again, good sir. If the Magistrate can spare you for a moment, I'd like to introduce you to my new friend. We were curious about your saviors."
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:34 pm

The freedman looks wary but not exactly frightened. More curious. "By all means? What do you want to know?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:36 pm

"Well, when they put me ashore just after we left you, they mentioned that they were continuing on their way to some place called Amber. Well... we jumped ashore, but it was because I'd unthinkingly insulted Mintabilia, and decided... well... it seemed safer for all inolved for me to leave. However, in hindsight, I think that by doing so, I have only doubly insulted her. So, I would like to return to finish the duel I'd fled, and allow her to get satisfaction."

"At the same time, this good captain here is also looking for Amber, for his own reasons. When he'd heard that I'd heard of the place, he pressed me for more, but all that I know is hearing this Winnow say the word the one time. But I was hoping that you might be able to share more with us? They really did do me a good turn, and I in turn treated them poorly. Not intentionally, of course. But my poor manners still got me there. I would like to correct that, if I can find them. And maybe a dual with Mint will allow me to practice losing gracefully."
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 pm

OOC- Sorry for the delay, my friend poisoned me (I've never understood why sick people insist on showing up and infecting everyone sigh) and I haven't had the energy to do much of anything.

Leeland smiles, "I would be grateful for any assistance you can lend us. I heard tales of Amber as a child, and I've always wanted to visit it. I have heard it described as the most amazing city in all the realms."
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:08 pm

The Freedman nods. "Amber is a legend to me, and to my men. A fabled land said to dwell beyond the rainbow, where immortals dwell but sometimes venture forth to amuse themselves with lesser beings--or upon quests we cannot hope to truly understand. Everyone I know tells a different version. Some say it lies to the west, others beyond an endless sea to the south, or on the other side of a mysterious continent to the east. Still others insist it lies at the center of a frozen sea far to the north. People here speak of a place called Onyx and seem to hold it in a similar awe, yet do not know Amber. Likewise I've never before heard of any place called Onyx."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:03 pm

"In my homeland I heard many stories of this place called Amber, it was only recently I heard similar tales of Onyx. I had heard that Amber ruled over a great many realms called the Golden Circle and that that its trading ships brought exotic goods from hundreds of ports."

OOC- Do people in these shadows understand the concept of multiple worlds and shadow? Could the clues Leeland is hearing be possible details of a shadow path? Do any of them sound familiar from his studies of various charts etc.?
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:33 pm

[OOC - methinks some Shadows do indeed have travel between them and locals have some awareness of this. Depends on them how they interpret this. Some however certainly understand the concept, more or less. Others do not, simply seeing the oceans and world as mysterious and far off places much stranger than around here, etc. I don't think you can glean many details from what you're hearing here, though.]
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 am

OOC- Was their any reaction to the golden circle comment? If he is familiar with a golden circle kingdom their may be a route to that kingdom in a place he has been too.

Leeland continues. "I would be extremely grateful for any information you might have, perhaps your rescuers mentioned some way to get in contact with them? Perhaps a way to deliver a message?"
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 pm

[OOC - no reaction to the Golden Circle comment that you can notice.]

Not a word, he explains. Indeed, the various ex-slaves seem generally puzzled about precisely where they are--although it would appear their captors boasted something about brand new conquests.

One of Xue's companions points to some one on the street, an olive-skinned young man in nice clothes who seems to be putting something small away into his clothes. Overhead, flying from his position, is a tiny clay-colored bird.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:18 am

[As much as I would love to play kitten and pounce on the birdy thing with OOC knowledge, Xue has no reason to question the bird.]

"Did your captors mention a name? Or... if THIS is the new conquest, wher are you from?"
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Frustrated by the dead end, Leeland waits semi patiently. When there is a lull he asks about the fellow Xue's man pointed out. "What do you think is going on there?"
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 am

"I don't know. That's a very pretty young man, I guess? Who likes playing with birds? All of you tiny people seem strange to me. It's like being in a city full of adolescents. I know, that's horrible to say. I'm not judging, it's just... my instincts about what's unusual go right out the window."
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:08 pm

OOC- Is the man in a position to be observing Leeland and Xue's position? Does it seem like he is paying covert attention to their actions?

Leeland laughs, an honest and rare heartfelt chuckle which he follows by reaching upwards and clapping Xue lightly on the shoulder. "We do don't we. If you'd seen my home you'd see we never really did grow up there." He pauses for a second, still with a somewhat smile upon his face. "I am glad you chose my ship." Leeland adds, "I believe that fortune shall favor our journey to this second center of the world."
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 am

"Growing up? That's something different. Where I come from... we grow large."

"But we hide from outworlders, we're terrified of anything sorcerous, and we're too proud to admit it's fear. Not a lot of growing up there, I'm afraid."

"I hope to change that, maybe. And finding your ship may well be what makes it possible. So fortune has already begun to shine."
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:01 pm

The former prisoner doesn't know where the Hounds intended to have a conquest. Presumably wherever it was they were headed.

The cloaked young man watches the interplay with a simple, frank curiosity. He's hardly the only one. Seems unlikely he heard anything they said.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xue Ren'gui Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:36 pm

"I don't think this will get us anywhere. Our query didn't let slip anything to those they saved. However, we might be able to discern something about what they sought here, based on what questions they asked here in town."

"Let's go back to where I first met them. We can backtrack from there. They were returning to their ship when they insinuated themselves into my conversation. They must have been doing something in that area, I guess."

Xue goes back to the street where Winnow first tripped Peng, and begins to ask around the local shops to see if he can discover someone who remembers Winnow. Xue figures it's more likely that the large man would be remembered than the red-headed girl in his shadow.
Xue Ren'gui
Xue Ren'gui

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeland Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 pm

"That sounds a reasonable plan to me." Leeland says as he follows Xue. "If they joined your conversation might your plans have something to do with their's?"
Leeland
Leeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum