The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

+3
Winnow
Fergus
David
7 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 2 Empty Re: Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:44 pm

"Well, bless you," she says with a laugh. "Although I hope its in no immediate danger!" She says this very lightly, then continues with an interested air. "Back in one of my favorite Shadows, I've been photographed many times. I so look forward to seeing what you can achieve! The fact is, I've often thought we should try and see what kind of conveniences might be adapted to Amber one way or another. True, we have hot and cold running water, central heating, the printing press and dozens of other technologies, but wouldn't it be just grand to have an elevator in the Castle?"
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 2 Empty Re: Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59 pm

At the mention of Flora having been photographed Fergus glances at Winnow to see his reaction.

"My thoughts exactly, although an elevator might be problematic without the use of electricty. My understanding is that it does not work here though, I have yet to determine exactly why this might be. I wanted to get the camera working first as though Random told me it would not work here I thought that there might be a way. It seems that certain chemical reactions do not work here yet many do."

Fergus realises that he is going on again. It was so easy to fall into Flora's easy going nature. He had dueled Winnow last week and lost to the better man. Now he was mentally duelling with his Aunt and he felt he was losing again. She could have got a carriage by herself to the ball but she had specifically chosen to join theirs, so she had a reason for being here.

"I'm sorry my studies are probably boring you Flora." He said simply. Changing the subject he continued. "I hear that two more cousins arrived recently. Pray tell me what are they like?"
Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 pm

"Well, lets just say any of your minor eccentricities are likely to be eclipsed by them," she says. "I don't want to give too much away, for utterly selfish reasons! Seeing your reaction is a pleasure I promised myself." She giggles at this. "But tell me--you've actually gotten a camera to work here in Amber? I am very impressed!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:21 pm

She was toying with him again he knew. Dangling something tantilisingly in front of him then whipping it away again. However Flora knew how to press his buttons it seemed.

"Well it took a while but I suspected that it was due to the chemical reactions not working in the film here. I understand that gunpowder does not work here for the same reason, so I did some experimenting with different formulas in the film. Eventually I hit on the right combination. Now at the moment its just a simple pinhole camera, but there no reason a more advanced non electronic camera shouldn't work here either. When I go back to the Nexus I'm going to pick something suitable up. I want to understand why electricity doesn't work here. Do you have lightning in Amber?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 pm

At the mention of Flora having been photographed Fergus glances at Winnow to see his reaction.

"Some things are better left in Shadow," Winnow rumbles cheerfully. "Amber is a sanctuary, not a looberatory." That didn't sound right, but I'll be damned if I can remember how he pronounced it...

He applies himself to watching out the window, alert for some kind of attack or interference.

Too many royals in one place on the road...this is asking for it.

Of course he attends the conversation, and the smells coming from the Lady on his bench seat.

Exquisite.

Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 pm

"Oh yes," says Flora. "Rain, wind, snow, sleet--the whole meteorological menu. But keep in mind the laws here are so different there's even a place where we can all breathe underwater!"

"So," she says, turning to Winnow, "you've been in Amber for a time now. Any long term thoughts yet?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:39 pm

He turns to Flora with a wide smile. "It suits me. I visited my homeland and can do so any time, so I do not feel the need. I was the Crown Prince there, until I abdicated my claim to the Throne. I find I am much happier without the pressures of rule. Yet I have great freedom and power here...a smaller fish in a bigger pond, I believe the saying goes. Long term...I suppose I am emulating Gerard my teacher in these things. Find my place, do my part for Amber and its stability...smite its enemies, reward its friends. I was most comfortable at home - in Tagaloa, I mean - as a warrior, as a sailor, as a leader of the same."

He holds out a hand and forms a scepter in it - as complex as he is able - of his armor. It leaps in a rivulet from his waist, up his side to his shoulder, then down his arm, to take shape in a just a long heartbeat. It retains the blue-and-white checkerboard.

"I might rule," he says contemplatively, then wills the scepter to form a simple mace of four flanges and goes on, "but I prefer to serve one who is worthy."

He opens his fist and releases the metal to flow back around his waist, hidden under the sarong.

Lifting a corner of the material, he rubs it briefly and says, "Apropos of nothing, milady, do you know why the Lord Caine is wearing my - these - colors today, instead of his usual greens?"
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Winnow wrote:
"Some things are better left in Shadow," Winnow rumbles cheerfully. "Amber is a sanctuary, not a looberatory." That didn't sound right, but I'll be damned if I can remember how he pronounced it.

Winnow you are really showing your lack of creative thinking here. There is so much more that can be done, and so much that has not been done here so far.

And then Flora tells him that there is lightning in Amber. If there is lightning then electricity is possible too. Lightning is really just a massive electrical charge dissappating from the sky to the ground. Something to think about and maybe talk to Aunt Fiona if he gets a chance to meet her.

Fergus waits for his Aunt Flora to reply to Winnow.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Winnow interrupts himself and asks - "or is it because the colors appear differently under Rebma's light?"
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Flora looks a little wicked in a quiet understated way. She seems to be sharing a secret. "Let us just say someone has been practicing some new spells, and decided a practical joke on two of her brothers would make a nice practice run." Her attitude is one of appreciation, not glee.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Fiona, I had to be her. Fegus wonders why would she would do something like that.

Did she get bored easily?

"I would be most interested to meet your sister later if she is going to be at the party." Fergus decides to change the subject. "I understand that Uncle Benedict is doing some investigations into my parents. Random told me that DNA testing is unreliable. So I'd quite like to understand what other methods he might be using to ascertain my parentage?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:59 pm

"No one has fessed up to knowing they had a child in the right time period," begins Flora. "For the boys, of course, it might have been an accident. The ladies, however, we would know. Obviously. But even that presents some difficulty. Three, well four, members of the royal family died since your...engenderment. Eric, Deirdre, Brand and of course Oberon. Of these Brand might fit, simply because he had red hair. But as I understand it the real mystery involves your other parent. If we can find some trace of that person's identity, we'd at least have a solid clue. Although to be honest, Corwin can almost certainly be ruled out. He was amnesiac a thousand or more worlds away at the time."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Fergus couldn't believe that their method was to go and ask people if I was there's.

"Flora forgive me if I'm a little direct here but asking members of the family is hadly a scientific method of determining my parentage. As you said at least three of the family are dead, and let's just say from my research the members of the family indicates they are not always known for telling the absolute truth. Determining my other parent will only be made easier if they were to share a distinctive DNA trait that I have. Red hair is not distinctive enough, but the faulty allelle in my eye colouration would be. It is likely that such a faulty gene might be recessive so the chances are good that it would be passed down from the parent if they had it. Seventy-five percent chance I believe. Such a faulty allelle could only have occurred in a extremely rare number of cases, unless of course there is a shadow out there full of such people. So my Uncle Benedict would be on the lookout for someone with my eye colouring. Not easy I suspect hunting all the infinite number of shadow for such a person. Am I close?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 pm

"I do believe Benedict is inquiring into exactly that. One would think that would make it easier, especially since such two-toned eyes are not at all common in Nexus. Now, no member of the royal family shows such a sign, so it follows this trait comes from your non-Amberite parent. As far as DNA tests go, though--we found out the hard way the rules of such actually change from place to place. We'd need to not only gain samples for comparison, but also experiment to make sure our results were reliable. Not impossible, but rather a lot of work. Benedict I know is looking for any signs of a man or woman with eyes like yourself."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 pm

"Well I wish him luck since I would really like to know who my real parents and why they allowed me to be imprisoned all that time. After the party I would like to go to the Nexus and do some investigation of my own. Cousin Winnow has kindly offered to accompany me."

Fergus glances out of the coach to get his bearings for the return journey and sighs wistfully.

"Actually to be honest I really need my friend Winnow as I cannot find my way through shadow myself yet and his martial prowess will prove very useful. I'd like to say I could show him round The Nexus too, but alas I cannot even do that as the only time I was in the city itself Uncle Gerard lead me away quickly. I hope I am not imposing on you too much cousin."

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:47 pm

She shrugs. "Families get to impose on each other. Don't worry--I promise to call in the debt. We all do."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:58 pm

"I intend to pay off any such debts I incur in full, though I confess I do not know how yet. I have nothing to my name and I fear my meagre skills are nowhere near any of the rest of the family that I have met." Fergus looks downcast. "I do not want to be a burden on anyone here."

Fergus smiles sadly and looks to Winnow for support.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:54 am

Winnow keeps to his silence and Fergus worries that perhaps he has offended him in some way. Conscious that the silence has gone on maybe longer than it should and that he was beginning to sound maudelin Fergus determines that he needs to say something to brighten the mood.

"So what goes on Aunt Flora at these sorts of parties? Was I expected to bring a present for this Llyr fellow as I'm afraid I have nothing to give him?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Fergus smiles sadly and looks to Winnow for support.

Let Fergus babble...it's informative, both to me and to Flora. I haven't been able to get through to him, perhaps she can. How do you deal with someone with such a dearth of pride that he can neither give someone grace nor accept it? Constantly worried if he is being a burden. He adapted this picture-box in just a short time, something new in Amber, and whether or not it's appropriate in this place, it is still an accomplishment of skill. I have not the patience constantly prop up his self-confidence. If he were a warrior I would set tests for him, things to overcome with a band of brothers. But his lack of self-worth is beyond me.

Winnow's mind chews at the problem, certain he will eventually come up with an answer, irritated at Fergus, irritated at himself for being unable to solve the riddle.

Was I expected to bring a present for this Llyr fellow as I'm afraid I have nothing to give him?"

A present! The customs of this place...

Winnow grinds the teeth of his mind.

I know not Lyr, nor his proclivities. I will have to claim ignorance. Play the "Island savage" card. Nothing i can do at this late stage.

"I have nothing either...I forgot about the customs of gifts on birthdays, to be frank. It is not the same in my h- - in Tagaloa. He will have to make do with my good will. I suppose we could do some last-minute shopping in Rebma, but that might smack too much of haste...?"

He looks at Flora for her counsel.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 pm

"Don't worry about that," Flora assures them. "Llyr is a quiet, intense type who prefers gifts from close friends--the more personal the better. He'll notice you didn't bring a gift, because he notices everything, but he simply will not care. Your presence is gift enough for him. Me, I think meeting the five of you is almost the only thing he's looking forward to tonight." She smiles one of her brilliant smiles. "Fortunately the rest of us can enjoy the ball anyway!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Flora's smile could win a million hearts and minds, a potent weapon that.

"Well I hope I that it all goes well" Fergus tries his best to return Flora's smile. He has to just make the best of things.

"So can either of you tell me exactly how it is that we can breathe under the water. I have thought about it and the only thing that I can come up with other than diving equipment is that we have some kind of magic cast on us? Not understanding much about magic I'm not sure how this works. "

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Winnow stares at Fergus like he has lost his mind. Fergus, that is.

I explained all this...

Winnow prepares himself for some kind of physical confrontation, but makes sure nothing shows.

He slides out his Trump deck and leafs through it as if just idly familiarizing himself with the players...to put Flora on top. He makes sure she can see it, then reaches out gently through the Trump to speak with Flora mind to mind. Silently.

Forgive me...I just explained to Fergus all about Rebma...everything he needs to know. He has either suddenly become simple, or something is wrong with his mind, or someone is influencing his mind...or perhaps this isn't actually Fergus.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Flora appears distracted for a moment, then a little surprised, and then makes a little shrugging gesture in Winnow's direction, as if to say "It'll all be alright."

Before too long the carriage pulls up at a beach. An honor guard awaits at a stone stairway that leads into the water. As Winnow, Fergus and Flora dis-embark, some people can be clearly seen walking down the steps into the water until their heads are beneath the waves. No one seems even slightly upset, not even when they don't come out again.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Fergus realises that Flora is not going to answer the question.

Perhaps she doesn't know why this works and like Winnow just accepts the fact of it

To someone like Winnow it was only important to know that it worked, but for Fergus it was more important to know how and why something worked. There was so much potential here that would remain untapped until he could figure it out. If it was the water causing this then would it still work if it were transported elsewhere? How much would you need for it to be effective? If it were the rocks underneath the same questions? If it were the water and it worked elsewhere then you could fill a diving helmet with the water and breathe underwater outside of Rebma.

"I guess its too late for an explanation on how and why this works for now then, but I would still very much like to know. I guess I can experience the reality of the phenomina for myself first."

Fergus follows Flora and Winnow down the steps into the water, letting the water gradually get higher and higher on his body until it goes above his mouth. He is ready in case he needs to act, in case it does not work and his prepared emergency measure is required. However he finds that he does not need it and can breathe easily.

Amazing!

He waves at Winnow to indicate that he is Ok and follows them down the path.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Winnow shrugs back, and puts away the trumps, but not his vigilance.

Something funny is going on here.

It's not paranoia if they really are after you.

Is it shirking my responsibility if I contrive to socialize elsewhere? Away from this man-child?

I know Princess Fiona has an inquisitive mind...
He starts planning just how he can make the hand-off.

Winnow helps Flora down the steps of the coach, then watches as Fergus marches into the sea. He will escort Flora, extending his arm if she wishes to take it to stabilize against the waves' buffeting, until the stillness below seizes them.

He has descended here once before, and the sea is a familiar friend to him.

It reminds me of the diving for pearls and other ocean things, learning to hold breath for many minutes at a time, to adjust to the pressure down to a hundred feet in depth or more. I made a great reputation among the divers in Tagaloa, as my Amber blood gave me endurance beyond mortal ken.

Once they are descending and stable enough for conversation again, he will address Flora. She has the reputation of not only being the biggest gossip but also Amber's unofficial spymaster. "I know the elders are all interested and probably amused by this gathering of the third generation. Since events of this nature are something I endure rather than enjoy...is there anything in particular in which you are interested? Or anyone?"

His probably heavyhanded implication is that he would be happy to gather information for her.

Please, Unicorn gods, give me some kind of mission. If not, I will set myself one.
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next