The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

+3
Winnow
Fergus
David
7 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 3 Empty Re: Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

Post  David Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Flora smiles at Winnow and leans over, speaking loud enough for him--and none else--to hear.

"Watch when the Kier meet Fergus. Watch all of them as a dolphin spies a shark."
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 3 Empty Re: Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran)

Post  Winnow Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

"The dolphins kill the sharks, almost every time. They are far more intelligent, they work together in pods..." Winnow groans, projecting good nature but not really feeling it.

"Do I have to play orca, drive off the dolphins? Please say no. The boy needs some toughening up. I am a warrior, not a nursemaid."

He smiles, more genuinely this time.

"Though I may swim a few laps around these Kier for my own purposes..."
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Fergus continues on the pathway which seems well marked just ahead of his Aunt and Winnow. He tries some experimental swimming strokes as he goes. He's never had a chance to learn to swim and this risk free environmnent seems like an ideal place to learn.

Between experiment strokes he glances back at his Aunt talking with Winnow.

Well they seem to be getting along.

Fergus cannot detect exactly how the water enchantment allows him to breathe here. Magic was obviously something he'd never encountered before and there would seem to be a large number of people here who were exponents of the art.

I wonder is there was a possibility in combining magic and technology here.

It is a possibility but he'd have to add it to the list of things to investigate that was growing by the hour.

How much further is it to the Palace?
Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

When Winnow looks at Flora, he sees for a moment deadly seriousness in those eyes. She has told him something, something she at least regards ad extremely important, something she's hoping he understands.

Up ahead a combination of lamps (hundreds of them) and light from the surface above brings the castle of Rebma into view.

Tonight We're Ganna Party (Winnow, Mint, and Kieran) - Page 3 Castle14
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Winnow replies to the look with earnestness. "Forgive me if I have misunderstood...who is the dolphin, who the shark? Or, pity a poor witless warrior, and speak plainly? I would fain serve you without error, milady."

As they speak, Winnow also watches closely to make sure Fergus does not approach the carved rail, beyond which the pressure would cause increasing distress - or death - even to one of Amber's spawn.

He's probably trying to analyze the whole thing...sometimes you just have to accept that what is, is. Why do fish swim, or hearts beat? Why do fools fall in love?

He muses on the strangely garbed and masked people alighting from the coaches behind as they went into the water. Probably some kind of entertainers for the party. Black and red are not the best choice for under the water, as it will tend to look like black on black.

Black and red...odd coincidence...weren't those...
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Fergus wonders how they get lights to work under water here. If it were him he'd use some kind of luminous suubstance but here in Amber it was always difficult to understand what would or would not work. He decides that as they get closer to investigate a lamp if it is close to the path.

Fergus expertise alas does not extend to such things and when he looks at one by the path all he can ascertain is that it may be some luminous kind of coral. It may be worth investigating its propeties at some point but probably not high on his priority list.

He looks back and notes that Winnow and his Aunt are still talking.

Probably catching up. No need to disturb them.

As he approached the city he started to note guards. He assumes that they won't stop him as he is with Flora and Winnow and continues towards the palace.

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Any closer examination of the lamps with show them to be filled with glowing sea creatures, the glass shaped to spread their light better.

The guards appear ceremonial, wearing a golden trident where Amberite ones have the white unicorn. Nobody hear seems to wear capes. Few wear skirts. Bare-chested is not at all odd, nor is green or blue hair. Skin as well.

Flora gives Winnow a deep look, a grin on her lips. "An excellent question," she says at last. He can hear the period at the end of that sentence. The message seems clear--watch them to find out.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:28 pm

As they approach the Palace Fegus begins to slow to let Winnow and Flora catch up with him.

"I'm not quite sure where we go from here so I guess I'll just follow your lead." Fergus states plainly following beside them.

Winnow looks like he's chewed an unpleasant tasting bone and wondering whether to spit it out. I wonder what is concerning him?

"Are you alright friend Winnow? You look a little concerned. Don't worry about me, I'm a bit nervous to be meeting all these strangers at once, but I will bear it stoicly."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Flora bestows a smile. "The way is precisely the same as at Amber. When in doubt, follow the beautiful people and act like you own the place. Always works for me!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

The message seems clear--watch them to find out.

All right Princess, on your head be it if I mistake your meaning.

He nods, echoes her enigmatic smile just for fun, and throws his shoulders back as they approach the Rebman guard with dignity befitting royalty.

"Are you all right, friend Winnow? You look a little concerned. Don't worry about me, I'm a bit nervous to be meeting all these strangers at once, but I will bear it stoically."

"While I have a bit more experience than you, I also mislike these social gatherings, that's all," he reassures Fergus.

Flora bestows a smile. "The way is precisely the same as at Amber. When in doubt, follow the beautiful people and act like you own the place. Always works for me!"

"Precisely," Winnow rumbles, as if he thought of it too. Rather, he's taking mental notes on Flora's strategems. "But what if we ARE the beautiful people?"

Taking her advice, he walks with ponderous dignity, smiling benevolently with slight condescension upon the Rebmans - whether from Amberite status, royal status, or just the status of someone big and intimidating, they are free to wonder. He gladly plays the role of the possessor of the most desirable woman within twenty thousand leagues, as long as Flora will let him.

"Don't goggle so, Fergus. Smile and wave at the gawkerati." He eyes the crowds of of Rebmans behind the ceremonial guards, gathered to see the royal procession from Amber. He raises a hand when it seems appropriate, while still taking cue from Flora.

Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Continued from our own thread, which seems to have caught up with yours.

Kierenne tries to keep her grip on the live fish, which is now in her hand but trying vigorously not to be. In the end, she is forced to choose between gripping hard enough to damage the fish, or allowing it to slip away. Not wanting to kill things this soon in their trip, she watches the creature dart away, several of its companions following suit out of instinct.

By this point, the twins have come closer to the other group, where Winnow is standing with Flora and the red-head. "Princess Flora, it's a pleasure to see you again. The lighting below the water actually manages to make your pale complexion even more stunning. I hadn't thought that possible."

OOC - I couldn't find it in this thread, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Kier were being kept away from Fergus so far. I couldn't remember if we had yet been introduced to any other PCs besides Mint. I'm gonna act as if we haven't, I guess. She's not sure who these others are, probably more of the omnipresent horde of cousins always underfoot. The large one is clearly Winnow, and she recognized his face upon closer inspection. But when she finally gets closer to the ginger man behind them, a brief gasp escapes her. Hopefully nobody heard it.

He's one of the blacks. she thinks to her brother, now anxious for someone to introduce them.
Kierenne
Kierenne

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I'll follow Flora, she definitely counts as beautiful people. I've never owned anything so I cannot imagine what it is like to own a place.

Fergus walks steadily next to Winnow and Flora facing ahead mainly and refusing to pretend to be a noble or anyone of importance.

I will not Lord it over people. It is not me.

The Rebmans are fascinating in their differences from many of the Amberites he has seen. Definitely a different racial stock, although he sees that in fact that there are at least two races of Rebmans. As he glances behind him he sees the soldier that Winnow was talking to earlier as well as a man and a woman in red and black wetsuits and masks over their head. They address Aunt Flora with pleasantries.

These must be the twins who are cousins that Jorge mentioned. I wonder why she gasped?
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Seeing the fish hustle away, he relaxes and his step eases gaining confidence that they are somehow protected here.

"Princess Flora, the currents of Rebma only make your hair that much more entrancing."

Trying to match names with faces on cards he remembers he's looking around while staying arm in arm with his twin. Her slight tensing tells him something is amiss.

Responding to her contact, "Steady dear, steady. He has the mongrel eyes also of the lady from Father's trumps."

Recognizing various cousins from cards and such, placing names with faces. He awaits formal introductions.
Kieran
Kieran

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

[The Kier have not met Fergus or Winnow. Sooner or later they've met everyone else except Bleys who only arrived a few hours ago.]

Flora smiles at the Twins. "Ah, there you are! Kieran, Kierenne, allow me to introduce your cousins Winnow and Fergus."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Now I understand why they are called the Keir - Kieran and Kierenne. I wonder why they wear masks.

"Well met cousins. I am Fergus, though alas I cannot tell you of my lineage as I do not know who my parents were. It seems that Benedict is still conducting investigations into such."

Fergus reaches out his hand to see if they will shake as Winnow has taught him the other week.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Unwilling to release his arm entwined in his sisters, he looks at the hand, looks up and nods sagely to the ginger and larger man.

"Greetings, Fergus. And greetings Winnow. We are the Kier, I am Kieran, and this is my sister Kierenne" When he pronounces it, there is no difference between the words, "We are of the line of King Eric."

Kieran
Kieran

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Eric...so they say. Thus the colors they wear...which could be either true, or misdirection, or irrelevent, or part of this pranking magic.

Since Fergus drew the second faux pas with the first, Winnow will not extend his hand, but bows to the masked duo instead, nearly always a safe choice. He then holds both palms up and says, "T'elana hapanaoa Tagalo. This means, roughly, 'Blessings of the Gods upon you,' in the tongue of my shadow-home."

Might as well put it on a bit.

He puts his hands on his hips and laughs loudly. "It is a pleasure to meet more cousins!" It really is...and I will refrain from asking all the same old questions they must hear often. Instead I will regard them as a puzzle.

Winnow makes a move, remarkably lightfooted for one of his bulk, to simultaneously put The Kier on his right (with Flora still on his left arm) and to imply by such movement that they should proceed in their procession, rather than stand in the public street for the sake of the gossips. If The Kier have any background in martial arts or dance, they recognize the balance in motion.

If the body language is not sufficient to prompt the stroll to continue, he will say with a subtle gesture, "Shall we?"

"So, gentle Kier - is that appropriate to address you both so? - I understand you are recently discovered and arrived. I myself have only been in Amber a year and a bit, so I understand somewhat of what you feel right now. Please do not hesitate if I can help minimize your disorientation."
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Ignoring, or not noticing, Winnow's words, Kierenne leans forward slightly to see Fergus' eyes. She mutters a few words to create a palm of sunlight that she shines on those in front of her. "Oh yes, I see what you mean." she says aloud. "Very interesting coloration. And it matches your outfit? Or the outfit matches your eyes."

Then she widens her gaze to include Winnow. "Oh, yes. Let us continue." She allows the light to fade as they fall into step, Fergus now forgotten. "I take you to be a warrior. Are you puissant?"

Kierenne
Kierenne

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm

"A warrior, certainly. Puissant? By shadow standards, certainly. I have yet to test myself against many in Amber, though Prince Gerard has given me instruction from time to time, and Fergus and I fought a friendly match just a few days ago." His smile relaxes, and his eyes sharpen, an eyebrow raises, looking directly at the one who looked at him - the female, by the form-fitting material they wore.

"And you? What shall I take you for?"
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kierenne Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 pm

"Kieran is the real warrior of us." She pats the bound sword on her hip, "I dabble in swordplay now and again, but my passion is in sorcery. Though, I must admit that some of the more advanced juru are helpful for achieving calm before a serious magical undertaking. I could spend literally years studying just this stairway. I think I will like it here in Rebma."

"But, tell us how your bout with Lord Fergus fell? I would normally presume your bulk to be a hindrance, if not used properly. Though... against one so feeble, perhaps not so much of a problem. But, it seems you are nimble for your size as well?"
Kierenne
Kierenne

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 pm

"I suppose I am nimble...all of Amber's blood share advantages. Just as the bladesmen in the family have the strength of wrist to wield broadswords like foils, I use my strength to move quickly, to overcome any disadvantage my size might normally cause. Also, as your brother undoubtedly knows," he nods to the warrior of the two, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Speed comes from certainty. The way is in training."

Winnow's sense of fairness compells him to defend Fergus, no matter that he has taken a dislike to him personally. "But Fergus acquitted himself well in our bout. He is strong and fast and skilled with the blade, and though I did best him, he easily beat one of the Amber Guard's own instructors, a veteran of experience."

"So sir Kier," he goes on, addressing Kieran, "I would consider it an honor to test myself against you in amicable combat, when it is convenient."
Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Flora waves her hand slightly. "I remember when I was under a hundred, being so sure no one could best me at anything, so positive my first impressions were perfect. Heady times. Of course I ended up failing a lot. Back then. Oh, but a contest between you two, how thrilling! It would be so much more interesting that the entertainments Moire usually cooks up!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kieran Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 pm

To himself, none will get it right I fear...

"Sometime when we both are free, it may happen. But tonight seems to be not a night for weighty matters, it's a night for being frivolous?"

Continue walking in step.

Eyeing Flora, "Dear Princess, it is hard to believe that you are a day over 25. Your impressions must have left the court tongue tied with your grace and elegance."

Kieran
Kieran

Back to top Go down

Post  Winnow Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Oh, but a contest between you two, how thrilling!

"Oh, please, not this evening, my Princess."

I wish.

"I merely wanted to give my newly discovered cousin something to look forward to, should he be interested. Although such a contest should not be viewed as weighty..." Winnow suddenly seizes a handful of his own flesh somewhere around his middriff, and shakes it with a hearty laugh, "Unless you were talking about me!" His laugh booms out again, and he slaps his belly.

"It would be just a bit of fun. But Your Highness, what does the Rebman Queen normally present for entertainments, that are so uninteresting?"

Winnow
Winnow

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 pm

"The usual," says Flora, "the equivalent of a string quartet, a few acrobats, that kind of thing. One thing I admire Random for is bringing the occasional jazz band. I mean, he insists on playing drums but he isn't too bad at it."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next