The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden)

3 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden) - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden)

Post  David Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:32 pm

"I want to learn precisely what happened to my niece Isabel. She's been missing for years now, and it is her Trumps I keep finding in places that have suffered catastrophe. Isabel is not one to remain out of contact for so long, nor to abandon her cards. I know several of her favorite haunts and have extensively searched most. I can give the next on my list and your success will equal the amount of information I give you. An honest attempt that comes up empty answers a few questions. True success--that earns the name of the city with the towering domes, as well as much of its history, as well as the story of the Crimson Unicorn Trumps. Interested?"
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden) - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden)

Post  Aiden Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:59 pm

"Seems fair enough", says Aiden, "but I require a few practical answers to begin. First, obviously, I need to know something of Isabel. If these are her trumps then I might assume that she is not pictured on any of the ones that have been found. But then there was your reaction to the picture on the card I have in my hand... Secondly, if your family creates Trumps of Power then they must have something that that power is based upon. A Pattern, whether the one I know or another, must be that base. If that is so, what keeps you from simply walking in Shadow until you find her?
If you carry Trumps and are family, you must also have that ability. Thirdly, I need some idea of what I'm up against, even if it's pure speculation. What, theoretically, would be responsible for causing your niece to go missing as well as destroying Shadow worlds and why? The only Power I know of that could be used to do something that extensive is, again, a Pattern, yours or mine. It would be reckless indeed, and almost certainly unprofitable to both of us, if I were to go charging off into the unknown, carrying nothing but my sword and a sack of good intentions."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:28 pm

"There are limits as to what I can and may tell you at present," says Prospero. "But some should be fairly obvious. Perhaps you weren't told that the Patternfall War generated multiple Shadow Storms? The wreckage they left in their wake sometimes was most terrible to behold."

"Isobel herself is--I hope she still is--an attractive young woman with red hair and fair skin. Her eyes are of different colors, like mine, but in her case are purple and gold. I fear she grew up unhappy, uncomfortable amid the often-fierce ambitions of her siblings, hence her preference to wander elsewhere. For all practical purposes, please regard her as a hitherto unknown cousin."

"As for walking until I find her, such is not as straightforward as it sounds. For example, she might not wish to be found. She may be warded. Worse, she may be dead. I have reason to believe my presence in the place I would send you could not go unnoticed by someone who might--I say might--be the last person I wish to know of my efforts."

"Very little more of background may I give you, for which I apologize. Isabel herself was ever a sometimes melancholy person, enjoying most to dwell in large cities with a dynamic culture. She loves to walk amid the whirl of humanity, but with the option of retreating to a place of rest. I have known many a man, and woman, to fall in love with her. That she herself longs of love is beyond any doubt of mine. Whether she has ever found it," he gives a sad shrug. "Given a choice, she wears white and gold and green. I can tell you the city where she lived for some years and the address of her dwelling there. But I am loathe to offer any theories, lest they interfere with your own efforts in this regard."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 pm

"Yes, I know of the shadowstorms generated by the war. I thought perhaps you might be aware of a human agent behind the wreckage. I'm trying to keep from encountering any particularly nasty surprises, as you can understand." Aiden regards him for a moment, trying to discern any duplicity beyond the normal caginess of Those of the Blood. "Okay. Give me her last address and the name of the city...also its location, if you know it. Also, tell me how I am to contact you when I find out anything." Then speaking more gently, "It's my profession to find things for people and I have never failed to do so. If she exists anywhere in Shadow, I will find her." And then, looking at his timepiece, "Which reminds me, I have to go see a man about a horse."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:33 pm

"At 221B Candlestick Avenue, in the city of Haven, in the Shadow called Nexus." He gives a description of how it might be found in Shadow, the tell-tale traits that should allow him to find the place. He also takes out a Crimson Unicorn Trump and hands it to Aiden. Prospero's picture is upon it. "I know you have other business. Many thanks for your time. Please--discover what you can. Very many lives depend upon finding an answer."
Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden) - Page 4 Prospe10
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Committing the details to memory and taking the card, Aiden says, " I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything. " Leaving a few bills on his own table for the waitress, Aiden departs the establishment and hails a cab to the Museum of Art downtown. Should get there just ahead of schedule. And then what? Funny thing happened when I opened this little trinket that you hired me to find.... Or how 'bout, "No shit, there I was..." All good stories begin like that, don't they? SIGH Aiden massages his eyes and grimaces. Still, this day keeps getting more and more interesting. Maybe I'll learn something of use in the exhange.
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 am

Aiden's client is waiting at the agreed rendez-vous, very polite and seemingly pleased to see him.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 am

Well after all, maybe he really DID just want me to find the puzzle box and has no interest at all in anything that might be inside. My life could be that easy....

"I haven't kept you waiting have I ? Come," Aiden says gesturing toward the large sculpture garden adjacent to the museum, " Let us walk...."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

The Client--Mr. Vandevoort--is the sort to wear pinz-nez and take down notes in a little book as he examines the statues in the garden. "Magnificent, aren't they?" he says abstractly. "Examples of fine art from who knows how many artists! All in all, I'm pleased for my bank book anyway to have focused on my own little ouvre."

Waiting at a bench and rising as Mr. Vandervoort approaches is an odd looking fellow. The vaguely steampunk brown suit is one thing, but the monocle is another. He looks with sharp, bright eyes at Aiden.
Welcome to Phantasy Island (Aiden) - Page 4 Bwblac10
"So," says Mr. Vandervoot, "may I congratulate you on success?" He pays almost no attention to the stranger with a monocle.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 pm

"Indeed, indeed ", replies Aiden smiling and reaching his hand into his pants pocket...but not yet drawing it forth. WIth a glance and a small nod indicating the odd fellow rising from the nearby bench, "You brought a friend?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 pm

"Friend of a friend," is Vandervoort's reply. "Don't worry, everyone's safe here on Gont!"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 pm

"In that case", Aiden withdraws the puzzle box from his pocket and hands it to Vandervoort, "This is what you wanted, yes?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 pm

"Oh yes," says Vandervoort, his eyes alight. He reaches for the box as some might a delicate piece of glass. "I recognize its authenticity. You are clearly worth every ducat of your price!"

The monocled man coughs. Vandervoort gives him a glance. "Oh yes. Part of another deal--we must open the puzzled box. My...associate...here hopes to find an item for his collection."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Sighing inwardly Well at least Vandervoort is satisfied regarding OUR contract. Score 1 for professional pride. His side deal with the creepy Colonel Klink is not my concern...professionally.
Although I'd hate to see anything happen to him....SIGH....Nothing will probably go down here, still...wish I'd brought a little insurance.

"I am happy that you're pleased, Mr. Vandervoort." Aiden's smile appears then withdraws. "I'm afraid that your 'associate' may be less so. " Aiden nods toward the puzzlebox. "There's no need to open it."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 pm

The man with the monocle now stares at Aiden. "Explain," he says.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:15 am

Turning to face the monocled man. "I mean that the puzzle box is empty." Aiden says, watching the man very closely. Continuing, "As the contents of the artifact were not part of my agreement with Mr. Vandervoort, I took the liberty of removing what was inside - mainly due to its highly unusual and potentially dangerous nature. It is, of course, possible that you and I might come to some sort of arrangement regarding the object in question in the near future, but that would depend entirely upon what answers you are willing to give me."
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am

Aiden has never seen a stare as icy cold as that the monocled man now gave. "How very odd," he says at last, "you should admit to taking the artifact from the box. So many other options were available to you. Saying it was empty, replacing it with something else, delivering a different but near identical box in its stead, faking your own death or kidnapping, or simply vanishing while letting rumors of your demise spread. More, you could have claimed to others that you did give the box and its contents. The reputation you enjoy would have shielded you. Or you could have obeyed the terms of your contract, which--as I said--your reputation so clearly suggested would be the case. Why, therefore, do this? Of all things? You long for information, you say. Maybe. Certainly you demand answers. Answers to what? What are your questions? Tell me." He says all that smoothly, almost talking to himself. But the last two sentences come out louder, with a voice of authority behind them.

Mr. Vandervoort begins to sweat. "I swear to you, I thought..."

"No matter," the stranger interrupts him. "What are your questions?" he asks Aiden.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 am

"Saying that the box was empty would have deceived no one. I would simply have allowed myself to appear foolish by implying that you are a fool, which is obviously not the case. As to the other possibilities, they were never an option. While others might be tricked into believing any of those things, the fact of the matter is that I would still know. As far as 'why should I have removed the contents of the box'? That's an easy one. Ordinarily I wouldn't, however the object in question represents a power that is unknown and therefore a possible threat to Amber herself. As I have allegiance to her crown, that question answers itself. But enough about me. As far as my questions go, to start with. These little items seem to be interesting to so may people as of late, I should like to hear the reasons for your interest,"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 am

"I'm not going to tell you the reason for my interest" is his reply. "Next question."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:14 am

"In that case, I withdraw any further questions for the time being." Looking at Mr. Vandervoort, he says, "Good afternoon, sir." While giving the monocled man a slight nod, Aiden adds, "See ya in the funny papers", and turns to walk away (Keeping half an eye on the stranger as he does so).
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 am

Mr. Vandervoort looks very nervous as Aiden leaves. The man with the monocle pays him no mind but watches Aiden--but as he does so, removes what looks like a large playing card from inside his vest pocket. Aiden can see--barely--the back has a red figure of some kind on a field of black.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 am

That's not good. This is already turning into a circus and I have a bad feeling some more clowns are on the way. Aiden pulls Mint's Trump from his pocket and concentrates on her image. Looks like it's a good time for me to exit, stage left....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:48 am

As the contact forms Aiden sees the railing of a ship and vast ocean behind Mint.

"Oh, Cousin Aiden, I had not expected to hear from you so soon. Good news I hope."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:05 am

"Hey, love. Nice view," says Aiden catching the ocean behind her. "Hope you don't mind company," he says picking up his pace and looking behind him quickly, "I need a quick exit....Angry cyclops behind!"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 am

"Josette, Medraut, my cousin Aiden will appear. No harm is meant."

Mint adds through the contact, "Tis only polite to warn them. Don't worry we parley."

Then Mint reaches her hand through the contact to Aiden pulling him through.

Aiden will see Sister Mircalla and Triton standing near Mint and a group of three rough men, one with green skin, standing near an attractive brunette across the deck.

"Welcome to the Hippogriff cousin. Allow me to introduce Sister Mircalla. Sister Mircalla, my cousin Aiden, Lord of Amber."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next