The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

5 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) - Page 4 Empty Re: On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  Triton Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Triton smiles back at Aiden, "Always a pleasure to meet more family," he says, perhaps a bit sarcastically.

Then he turns towards Mint to answer her question.

"While I cannot confirm who is the actual manipulater of shadow, I do know that someone aboard that ship possesses the power of the Pattern. It was used against us as we attempted to flee. Now as for questions, I thank you for your offer, but I can't think of anything that I might ask. No one aboard that ship will have any of the answers that I seek."
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) - Page 4 Empty Re: On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  Mint Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:25 pm

"Excellent, while it remains possible that Medraut has hidden talents or that Josette has one of our Uncle's in Medraut's hold, I would not bet on either. So Aiden, if you will explain what passed since last we spoke and led to your most recent difficulties then I will attempt thereafter to forge what we know into a coherent narrative."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Looking at Sister Mircalla and at Triton, Aiden turns to Mint and replies, "No offense but I would prefer to continue this discussion in private. Your cabin perhaps...?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 am

Triton shrugs.

"I have no objections if you wish to have your conversation in private. It's clear that you two are involved in something very serious concerning red unicorns."
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 am

"I don't have a cabin, but... fine... we can find a bit of privacy."

Mint looks about for a moment and finds a spot of rail out of earshot of everyone.

"If we speak softly here the winds mask our voices and as long as we face the ocean no one can read our lips. If this isn't private enough it will have to wait until after I finish the business with Josette."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 am

Sister Mircalla speaks up "I have a cabin, as of course does Prince Triton. Mine is this way." She leads the way to what would under other circumstances be the captain's cabin in the ship's stern. As they go below decks, Medraut and Josette watch the small party closely.
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 am

"Thank you Sister, but no. I'm not letting Josette out of my sight until the deal is done." Fortunately I have excellent peripheral vision.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 pm

While his cousins are busy, Triton wanders over to keep Josette and Medraut occupied.

"So, how shall we pass the time? Does one of you wanna discuss the finer points of walking the Pattern? Or perhaps why you think the merewives are so powerful? Are there other legends that you also believe? Or," Triton says looking Josette right in the eyes, "Would you rather just talk about me?" he winks.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Medraut grins, "No offense, but why talk about you when a far more interesting subject seems available? I mean of course--me." Then the grin fades a bit. "But more seriously, why does it matter why the merewives are so powerful? So dangerous? Enough said that they are, and only a fool goes searching for them, at least if you're a man of good form and health. You said you were going to defeat them? Why? Isn't it better to simply find out where they are and avoid the things? They're like rocks--razor sharp and hungry. A good captain does not seek them out. Easier ways to die, mate, and not put everyone around you at risk as well."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm

"Ah, defeat them, drink tea with them, tickle them. Who knows what will happen when I meet them. I just need to find them, assuming they actually exist. I don't put much stock into legendary beings that no one has ever witnessed."
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 pm

If Triton was looking for a reaction, he gets one. Medraut actually widens his eyes a bit. Josette stares at him.

"Your life," says the pirate captain. "Try to meet them all by your lonesome, that's my friendly advice. No reason to spill anyone else's blood."

"I've never met anyone at sea who doubted the existence of merewives before," Josette says. "It is like meeting someone who doesn't believe in typhoons. Impressive." She clearly doesn't believe him.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:31 pm

"Oh make no mistake, I am sure there is something behind the legend. I am just not buying the all powerful beings of destruction. As years pass legends grow. It is very easy for something simple to grow into something all powerful," He smiles.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

"Ever seen a ship that survived a passing encounter with them?" asks Medraut. "I have. Not a pretty sight. Find out where they are, and steer clear is my advice. Or, you know, sail all by your lonesome looking for the 'wives. Who am I to change your fate, after all?" He smiles.

"So who's your friend," Josette asks, "the one who just arrived?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:42 pm

"I have heard the tales. Some of us don't scare so easily," Triton smiles at Medraut.

Then he looks towards Josette, "That is another member of the Amber royal family. Yet another cousin of mine apparently. But as this is my first time meeting him I am afraid I know as much about him as you do."
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm

"This will do fine," says Aiden leaning his arm upon the rail and looking across the deck. "I don't know this Sister Mircalla or our new cousin nor where their loyalties lie......"
Turning to face Mint, he says, "You realize that you are one of the very few people I actually trust.....? Aiden pauses. "You must promise to keep whatever I tell you just between us.

I have a new commission...... "
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm

"Their loyalties lie with Rebma. And thus they stand as allies to Amber in this at least. Sister Mircalla refused to state her feelings for Prince Llyr, but her eyes spoke volumes."

"As to secrecy, if you need I will promise what I can. I promise I will report everything I consider relevant to Commander Julian. I promise that I will tell His Royal Highness King Random of Amber absolutely anything he asks or anything I think he truly needs to know. I promise that I will tell General Benedict anything he asks. I promise that I will relate anything to anyone if I believe it truly necessary to do so for the ongoing security of Amber. Aside from that you may rely upon my absolute discretion."

"Dear cousin, I do ask that you limit how much secrecy you ask of me. I try to keep personal secrets personal and I even have a few of my own, but when it comes to the larger issues I prefer as much disclosure as I can. Secrets and factionalism nearly destroyed our family in the Great War. If Aunt Fi and Uncle Bleys had told the rest when my father first showed signs of insanity,..."

Mint sighs.

"That hypothetical has cost me more than one night of sleep."

"Say what you will Cousin and I will keep it as secret as I can."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:29 am

"I know" says Aiden quietly, "And I will try not to put you in any position where you feel compromised in such a manner. As far as Prince Julian or King Random are concerned, I would expect you to inform them of anything that they might need to be aware of to defend Amber.
My concern is more with this ship's present company especially anyone who may be involved with the good captain or his crimson unicorn princess. Speaking of which. I don't know how informed you are currently, the situation having changed since the last time we spoke, but it seems that Captain Medraut is more of a privateer than an actual 'pirate'. Usually works under a letter of marque for governments or governmental factions in need of his services. This time it appears to be a bit more personal. I'm referring to his relationship with the Princess Josette. Seems that he's been flying her crimson and black colors since they met some 5 years ago. Of further note is that he has been involved in at least one Civil War off in Shadow. It's not hard to figure that there's a coup brewing in whatever world they come from, and as they have access to a Pattern and the power that it represents, there's bound to be some serious spillover. How much Amber will be affected, who knows?
Sorry, I may be telling you stuff you already know. You asked for news of what I've been about. Well, in addition to making some inquiries about the good captain and princess, I have also been hired by a member of the family to find one of the girls who has been missing for some time. Her name is Isabel and it is her deck of Trumps that we keep finding remnants of all across shadow. Remember the Trump you sent me the image of, the redhead with the gold and purple eyes? That is her. " Aiden pauses for a moment....
"Here is one more thing to consider and another reason I asked to keep this private....not just for myself but for the person who has hired me. There are other people looking for these Trumps, and presumably for her. Some may have less than good intentions. At the meeting earlier with my client, one of them appeared. Looking for the Trump that I told you about that had been concealed in the artifact I was commisioned to find. My client appeared to have made a side deal with this person to give him the contents of the artifact. This person seemed to be quite displeased when I questioned him about his interest in the Trump I had found, and even moreso when he realized that I wasn't going to give it to him. He was also was carrying a Crimson Unicorn Trump deck or at least a Trump. I don't know if he is of their royal 'household' or simply a hireling, but I couldn't risk a major confrontation in Gont. If I had been waylaid or arrested and searched, it could have compromised the person who has hired me as well as Isabel....if she is still alive. "

Here Aiden pauses to see if Mint has any questions.....
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 am

"Please don't hesitate to tell me something that I already know. Confirmation strengthens the likelihood of factuality. I can confirm from Sister Mircalla that Isabel disappeared under somewhat mysterious circumstances.

Now by member of the family do you mean theirs or ours, not that we can necessarily draw a hard and fast line there? I won't ask you to breach the confidentiality of your client beyond that. I understand your discretion in such matters. The person of less than good intent on the other hand interests me. Could you sketch him?"

Mint offers her pad and pencils.

"I must admit that I have spent next to no time exploring the Golden Circle beyond the bare requirements of assignments and I know nothing of Gont or what would make a confrontation there especially problematic."
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:29 am

Speaking more quietly, Aiden says, "No, not ours. A member of her own family." Aiden then nods his head. " Yes, I could probably sketch the my surprise guest. I've been working on my drawing abilities some recently. It won't be quite as good as a Trump sketch but it should be good enough.
As to why I was trying to avoid a confrontation in Gont .... This new person appeared to be a possible Pattern wielder or at least, he had the means to bring any number of people with such powers through his Trump which he had already begun to use. On top of that, Gont has a very strict ban on certain types of disturbances...fighting and the like - enough that the law responds very quickly to such things. Besides the Crimson Unicorn Trump I showed you, I am also carrying the personal Trump of my new client. If such were to fall into the wrong hands it might prove fatal to my quest and possibly to my client. It wasn't something I was willing to risk at that point especially when there was no need to. I had thought of simply Shadow Walking out of Gont, but I suspect that I would have been followed and it's very hard to lose a tail especially if they can also manipulate Shadow. Avoiding all of that and simply disappearing into 'thin air' seemed the best choice. I had to leave Gont anyway as my quest involves travelling to another Shadow. Perhaps this will throw the dogs off the scent for awhile." Aiden smiles.

Aiden takes the proffered pad and pencil and begins to sketch.
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:05 am

As Aiden sketches, Mint replies. "Your arrival seems fortuitous for me as well. I have in mind a selection of questions for Josette. Perhaps you might suggest additions or alterations."

Mint ticks off a finger with each question.

"What events led up to the disappearance of Isabel?"

"What do you see as the greatest extant threat to His Royal Highness, King Random the First's Realm of Amber?"

"What is the provenance of the Crimson Unicorn Trumps found scattered throughout reality?"

"By what path might I travel reliably to your lands from Amber?"

"What do you see as the likely results of my completing your task?"

"What role did Oberon play in the history of your family and people?"

"Which persons do you count as kin?"

"Who are the three most skilled warriors in your family?"

"How might Amber establish a peaceful and mutually beneficial relationship with your land and people?"

"And finally, what can you tell me of the identity, nature, and capabilities of the individual pictured in this sketch?"

With the last she points to the sketch that Aiden has begun to draw.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:39 am

Nodding his head, Alden says, "That's a pretty good list. After I've thought about it I may have something to add. Two things, though. I would prefer it if you didn't ask about Isabel unless Josette or someone else has already mentioned her to you. If you suddenly begin asking questions about things that that you would have no reason to know, it might link back to me and my sudden arrival and give her an advantage. Same goes for the sketch I drew. I'd like to keep our knowledge of that person a secret, at least from her. If they are in league together then she will already know about our encounter because he will have informed her. But if he is working for the competition.....That might be information that could come in handy later."
Thinking for a bit....
"Where are they from anyway? What is the name of their Shadow or City? You remember I told you about the domed city I saw during my failed Trump contact with the blond. Which reminds me. What are they doing here? Who do they know aboard ship and how well do they know them? Are they aware that members of our family have been finding Crimson Unicorn leavings everywhere? Can you bring me up to speed a bit?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:45 am

"As to Isabel, that question I included on behalf of the good Sister, so it will stay. I will omit the sketch from mention."

Mint glances at Mircalla across the deck.

"Josette leads and Medraut heels quite nicely nor does he strain his leash. The Lady seeks rapprochement with her brother Fernand and uses Sister Mircalla as a channel since Fernand pays court to the Sister's sister, Valentine. I do not know the name of their land, but I hate to spend a question on it. I doubt they can fail to realize the diaspora of Crimson droppings, but Josette has not yet mentioned such."

"So to substitute for the missing question I might ask any of three."

"If I wish to tangle Medraut's leash a bit I may ask her who or what she loves."

"If I wish to focus upon their land I may ask what noteworthy features including name does her homeland possess."

"If I wish to focus upon her split with her brother I may ask what she sees as the foundations of her disagreement with Fernand."

"None of those I like overmuch, have you a preference or an alternate?"
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:42 pm

"I see" says Aiden looking back at the Sister and rubbing his chin. Then turning back, "Of your additional questions, I suppose the third might gain the most. That is if you expect her to answer any of your questions honestly. As to the first. I imagine she would simply refuse to give any answer that might cause a problem between herself and the captain. It would be a wasted question. Besides, from what I've heard, there's no crowbar slim enough to get between those two. By the way, what is it you've promised her in exchange for this wondrous benefice of information? And how does this work? The standard half up front, half upon completion of ... whatever?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mint Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:53 pm

"I have agreed to perform a single task for her that will harm no one, not dishonor me, nor prove impossible. And yes, ten questions asked she will choose five to answer before and the rest on completion. I also get an hour with Captain Medraut."

Mint smiles.

"Time to rejoin the good Sister."

Mint starts to turn away then turns back. Aiden sees the tiniest flicker of an unidentifiable emotion cross Mint's face.

"I probably won't need it, but might you know how to find out who left an item in my room at Castle Amber?"

For a microsecond the emotion returns before vanishing again. Aiden has never before seen Mint look afraid.
Mint
Mint

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiden Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 pm

At "...an hour with Captain Medraut" Aiden laughs out loud. Go get 'em Tiger

Then upon seeing Mint's flicker of expression, he becomes quiet, even a little concerned. "Well yeah, maybe." Aiden looks thoughtful. "I have no abilities in the field of sorcery ....but I have other ways to find out things. Do you want to tell me about it now or postpone it for a bit ?"
Aiden
Aiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next