The Crimson Unicorn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

5 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) - Page 8 Empty Re: On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  David Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Sister Mircalla stares at Fergus. Hard. "Very well," she says. "Sister Erzebet, the founder of my order, received a prophecy about The Twisted Man whose nature split/Betwixt the Unicorns doth sit. He will, it goes on to say, have shining stars of purple and gold. The prophecy says he will end a bloodwar, but that events will also involve three women, three choices and three gates. Debate about the meaning of these verses is ongoing, but all agree that without this Twisted Man the prophecy is null and void." She pauses. "So it would seem you may be destined to end a terrible war. Perhaps."
David
David
Admin

https://crimsonunicorn.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden) - Page 8 Empty Re: On The Good Ship 'Hippogriff' (Triton, Mint, Aiden)

Post  Fergus Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:43 pm

"Sister Mircalla I would appreciate an exact recital of the prophecy if you could as I would like to compare the two. My version of the prophecy also mentions the three women, three gates and three choices, so it seems my version may be based on the original. I will recite it for you so you can see what I mean."

"The Twisted Man whose nature split
Betwixt Unicorn and Serpent doth sit
His face divided both hot and cold
Shining gems of purple and gold

The face he shows is but a mask
As he goes about the fatal task
He is one, he is all
Standing at the edge of Reality’s fall

Upon a rock above all that’s real
This Twisted Man’s intent conceal
Holding destiny in his palm
Bestrides this man full of harm

Second’s tick from the Reality Clock
As the Twisted Man is in the dock
Judge this Twisted Man true
Else unborn men forever will rue

Down and round he will descend
Bringing all down in the end
If star’s align and do conspire
Then realities future doth look dire

Three women, three choices, three gates
Three ways to tempt the fates
Three truths that must be told
Before the darkness he’ll behold

A natural end this man must see
Else portents look poor for reality
For his unnatural end brings doom
No more will men’s seed bloom"

"Secondly I have another question. You mentioned that my nature may be split between the two unicorns. I was given to understand that there was only one Unicorn; am I wrong in this?"
Fergus
Fergus

http://fergus-amber.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 pm

"I have a copy of the prophecy in my cabin" says Sister Mircalla, "but in response to your query about the number of unicorns--it rather depends upon what one means. For example, two children of the House of Oberon might be considered two unicorns. Or a pair of religious factions in the Unicorn Faith. Perhaps humorously, one or two scholars have suggested a conflict between two were-unicorns from some Shadow where shape-shifting is more common."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:42 pm

"I see. It's just I've been hearing somewhat about a Crimson unicorn recently and wondered if you knew much about it. I would very much apprecaite it if you could fetch the prophecy and recite it to me. As you can probably tell I have committed my version to memory."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm

"Very well," Mircalla politely lets go of Triton's arm and goes to her cabin. She will return in less than one minute, should Fergus and/or Triton wish to converse.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:57 pm

"Cousin, perhaps we will have some time to talk after I have dealt with the business of the prophecy. I have met a number of cousins tonight already and am discovering that I have quite a large and diverse family. It would be be nice to talk if you have the time later."

Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm

"I am sure there will be time to converse soon enough cousin. However I am not great company at the moment. I grow weary of the people on this ship and it fouls my mood. But it is always a pleasure to meet another member of the family. I assume that you already know of my lineage. May I ask yours?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:49 pm

"Yes I know that Corwin is your father and your mother is Moire. I would like to tell you my lineage but alas I do not know it myself. There is a high probability, given my eye colouring, that a woman by the name of Isabel is my mother, but I cannot say that for certain. The genetics certainly mean that she is likely a close relative I would think at the least which is why I will be looking for her soon."
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Sister Mircalla returns with her book. With permission, she touches Triton's arm and speaks. "I have the book here, sir. And I've turned to the appropriate page. If I may?" Assuming she has assent, she proceeds to read.

"The Twisted Man whose nature split
Betwixt the Unicorns doth sit
His face divided both hot and cold
Shining stars of purple and gold

Upon a rock betwixt all that’s real
This Twisted Man’s past concealed
Shall show the World some of the True
The past and present full of rue

High and round he shall ascend
To bring the bloodwar to its end
If star’s align and storms converge
Kingdoms shall lie on the verge

Three women, three choices and three gates
Three the ways to tempt the fates
Three truths alas that must be told
Or darkness for many shall take hold

But if he dies before the time
Then useless are these words and rhyme
If by violence his eyes are dimmed
Then Order itself shall feel the Grim."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Fergus having granted his assent willingly listens to the prophecy with interest and notes the similarities between the two versions and importantly the differences.

"Thank you very much Sister Mircalla. I really appreciate the time you have taken to do this for me. It definitely seems to me that someone has taken this older prophecy and twisted it to their own ends to keep me imprisoned. And they call me the Twisted Man, whoever did this must really have been twisted."

Fergus gives his best attempt at a smile to his own joke.

"Is there anything you would like to ask me or tell me Sister before I finish meeting my Cousin?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 am

"My best wishes to Prince Llyr," she says, "and many thanks to Her Majesty for her hospitality in Rebma. I will write to His Highness with important news very soon. As for you, sir--I do not know your name but please accept my prayers for your future. Should you come to Uberwald, allow me to warn you many will overreact to your appearance. The Shrine and all associated with it have become central to the country, and most especially the capital city of Fjordheim. I wish you well." She takes her hand from Triton's arm and heads back to her cabin.

The body of the sailor has been moved by now. Around him, Triton can spot the rest of crew give him tiny stares--some angry, some afraid, but not one positive.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Sister Mircalla leave before he has a chance to tell her his name.

If I go to Uberwald then I may need a disguise there too it seems. At this rate I may never look like me again.

"Cousin Triton, could you perhaps relay my name later to the good Sister as in my carelessness I omiited to tell her. I can see that there is alot going on around you at present so perhaps this is not the best time for a long chat, but I have been hearing somewhat about Crimson Unicorns recently and wondered if you knew any more about this?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Triton watches Mircalla walk off. He can't help but notice how pensive she is around him now. His family had always been so quick to dismiss his outbursts and he was expecting Mircalla to react the same. But perhaps he will have to make sure that she is all right, for his brothers sake. Turning his attention back to Fergus and the trump call.

"I will be happy to share your name with her cousin. As for the Crimson Unicorn, that is a popular subject as of late. Our cousin Mint is far better equipped to answer questions on that topic however. A pirate ship recently visited us. They flew the banner of the Crimson Unicorn. The lady in charge is named Josette and she is relation, I think sister to Isabel, the woman you believe to be your mother. Josette has golden eyes by the way. Again, Mint or Mircalla would be better suited to answer your questions in that regard. As it seems their interest had very little to do with me. Does that help you any?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

"Land ahoy!" cries out someone from the Crow's Nest.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

"Some, I seem to be finding potential family at every turn. I'm not sure if that is good or bad given the history of the family. Is there anything you'd like to ask me whilst I am here by the way?"
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:30 pm

"Nothing for now cousin. I am sure we will talk again soon. But as it seems we are about to dock, I must be going. There is a matter of a dead body I wish to look into before anyone can leave the ship. Good luck on your search. And again, check with cousin Mint. She might have far more of the information you need."
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  Fergus Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 pm

"Thanks again Cousin."

Fergus lets go of Llyr's arm and breaks the contact.
Fergus
Fergus

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:51 pm

"Anytime." Triton says to the leaving Fergus. Once he is gone.
"Now before I go brother, I wish to tell you that Sister Mircalla is in good health. But I should inform you that she insulted me and I in turn lost my temper. It has created an uneasy tension between us. For your sake brother I shall attempt to remedy this. And true to my word, I will make sure that no harm comes to her," Triton finishes with a nod.

Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:06 pm

"Stop," Llyr says suddenly in his Crown Prince voice. "What was the nature of this insult?"
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 am

"Are you sure you want the details brother? Very well. She claimed that she was in fact equal to myself. Both of us children of reigning monarchs. Then in response to my question as to whether or not the prophecy could be referring to an incestuous relationship, she informed me that my judgment has no value whatsoever. She continued to explain to me that while she would be happy to introduce other members of my family to her own, I was not invited. She says such matters are the business of adults. How would you react to such statements brother?"
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Llyr stares at Triton for a moment. "Were you in Rebma or Uberwald, you would not of course be equals. In Rebma your rank would be higher. In Uberwald, hers would be. Since you are in neither place, of course as the acknowledged children of reigning monarchs you are social equals and it beggars the mind you were not aware of this elementary piece of etiquette. Given my knowledge of the two of you, I marvel how even you managed to make Sister Mircalla lose her temper. Given that your mission was in part diplomatic, I marvel also that you've managed to so impede your own progress. But..." he continues with a sigh, "the diplomacy was ever secondary. Your primary concern remains the merewives and whatever caused the change in their dance. Are you close to Gont?"

If Triton cares to look around, he can see the Hippogriff now is among a handful of other ships of different sizes and designs all headed for the large island growing more and more visible. If he has ever been to Gont before now, he recognizes it.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 am

"Brother, these mortals would not be my equal in any court," Triton sighs, "But, as always, your mind has a gift for etiquette. I do not. Perhaps she was in fact referring to some social standing and not insulting my physical superiority. Either way, the damage has been done. Do you wish me to attempt to fix it? As for Gont, I can see it in the distance now. We should arrive soon."
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:09 pm

"Please," says Llyr, "just be polite and keep your temper in check. I've been in contact with your Uncle Random and it seems likely he'll want to send some folks through to you via Trump. I would suggest you check with the Gontish authorities about merewive sightings, but no doubt that was your plan anyway. It has been," he shakes his head a little, "a strange night. Two of your cousins almost came to blows at my birthday ball, evidently ready to fight a duel right at that moment. Two cousins have disappeared, Nimue is acting odd--not that she doesn't always do that--and someone used their Trump to throw an assailant (or someone) into the ballroom." He rolls his eyes. "Amberites!" he breathes with an exasperated sigh.

"Oh, and if you can find out anything more about this pirate and his paramour Random said he'd be grateful."
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Triton Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 pm

"Yeah, yeah. I kept my temper in check last time. Hence her uninjured state. And I was already contacted by Benedict who asked me to call him as soon as I arrived. And yes, the plan was to then ask about merewives activity. As for your party, I am happy that it wasn't a dull affair. Amberites always make things interesting," he smiles.
Triton
Triton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

A ghost of a smile hovers on Llyr's face. "Interesting. Yes. That is a good word. A delegation from Uberwald should be waiting for Sister Mircalla. I think you'll be hearing from Benedict fairly soon." With a nod, the Crown Prince breaks contact.

By now the Hippogriff is entering the bay of the major city on the Isle of Gont. As ever, the place remains beautiful to the eye, pleasing to the nose (the local flowers are very nice and not at all overpowering), and of course the architecture designed to say WELCOME! PLEASE COME AND SPEND YOUR MONEY!

The bay is a wide, irregular crescent shape. At the far northern end are shipyards, to repair or augment or even build vessels (usually luxury yachts). The southern end is more like beaches and terraces and piers, the latter containing restaurants and at least one gambling casino. In the middle lie the docks for visiting ships. Again, the northern end seems to be for shipping, the southern more for passenger craft.

What looks like a freighter is undergoing massive repairs in the shipyards. The craft looks fairly new but has undergone a battering. Sails ripped, rigging damaged, mast cracked and being replaced. Not battle damage, at least not to Triton's eye. More like a ship stuck in one terrible storm for far too long.

Another vessel, near the Hippogriff, seems to be towing a ship. To be sure, the Narwhal's Triumph looks like it could be a warship, albeit one now bedecked with ornaments. Probably bringing a visiting dignitary. Her flag is the three golden bats of Visaria, a land Triton has visited once or twice. The ruling class there are elegant vampires who protect the natives from hordes of werewolves. A few of them abuse their position by feeding indiscriminately on their peasants, but most keep harems of more-or-less willing victims.

The craft tied to her bow looks more like a racing ship, designed for a crew of perhaps three or four athletes. Waverunner reads its name. The tiny flag is clearly the pennant of High Haven, an island principality known for its gold mines and strong defenses. Like Visaria, a member of the Golden Circle.

It takes several more minutes for Triton's own ship to dock.
David
David
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next